I retired at 51!

It is based on your highest working 35 years.
According to my latest SS Statement ; had I taken it at FRA-$2367.
Wait one year and it becomes-$2640 ( $273 more a month ).
Wait 2 years- $2840 ( another $200 a month ).
Wait 3 years-$3041 (another $201 a month )
Age 70- $3275 ( up $234 a month )
$908 increase a month for waiting.
Or an increase of $1700 a month over taking it at 62.

These amounts do not include any COLA Adjustments.
It was a different answer for everyone

oldngray

nowhere special
It is based on your highest working 35 years.
According to my latest SS Statement ; had I taken it at FRA-$2367.
Wait one year and it becomes-$2640 ( $273 more a month ).
Wait 2 years- $2840 ( another $200 a month ).
Wait 3 years-$3041 (another $201 a month )
Age 70- $3275 ( up $234 a month )
$908 increase a month for waiting.
Or an increase of $1700 a month over taking it at 62.

These amounts do not include any COLA Adjustments.
Those last years are what make the big difference. Your years working at McDonalds as a teenager are pretty much wasted.

Those last years are what make the big difference. Your years working at McDonalds as a teenager are pretty much wasted.
You never know what's going to happen in life
Does McDonald's yours may help you out if you can't work anymore for some reason

But unfortunately social security is also stacked against the person that saves

If you average $50,000 a year during your career and I averaged $100,000 a year during my career

I would have paid double in social security taxes but I would definitely not be getting double payments

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Never worked in a fast food joint but I did work for a couple of former baseball guys ( Red Sox & Oakland A's) at their nightclub/restaurant/bar/golf course.

clean hairy

My Wife had a very close friend who decided to wait until 66 to collect her ss, instead of taking it at 62.
She became a victim of cancer and died at 65 never recieving any ss.
You just never know what the right age is to start collecting ss.
Or what the future has in store.....

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The reason those break even charts ( 62 vs FRA ) are wrong is because SS isn't an investment.
One is guaranteed $$ no matter what age you start to collect at.
An investment is something that once you put $$ into either the amount will go up or down.

No one really knows when their lifespan will end.
That being said, it is a gamble on when to start SS.

In my case , I'm already pass FRA.
And in less than 3 years I'll max out my benefits.

badpal

One thing you got to consider is if you want some sort of side gig after u retire. Unless you can get an under the table cash one, i have heard that taking SS and earning a paycheck can get complicated. And guess you would have to consider income from investments too. I would just advise talking to your tax man first.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
One thing you got to consider is if you want some sort of side gig after u retire. Unless you can get an under the table cash one, i have heard that taking SS and earning a paycheck can get complicated. And guess you would have to consider income from investments too. I would just advise talking to your tax man first.
yes. same with collecting a pension but after age 65 you can work all you want without penalty.

The nice thing about SS is the COLA increase every year. usually it's around 3%. At that rate your SS payment would double in 24 years ( rule of 72 )
Next year it is going up 8%. At this rate it would double in 9 years.

8% is nice but no way near a COLA increase which from my records is about 25% in the last year, 40% in the last 2 years on most goods. The G has a strange way of determining inflation. Only take into account certain goods and services.

Ask anyone who relies solely on SS and they will laugh at the COLA.

Wish the Teamster pension had a COLA. Maybe you guys can negotiate THAT in the next contract.
At the current rate of COLA for SS , our SS checks will be bigger than the pension in a couple years.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
yes. same with collecting a pension but after age 65 you can work all you want without penalty.

The nice thing about SS is the COLA increase every year. usually it's around 3%. At that rate your SS payment would double in 24 years ( rule of 72 )

8% is nice but no way near a COLA increase which from my records is about 25% in the last year, 40% in the last 2 years on most goods. The G has a strange way of determining inflation. Only take into account certain goods and services.

Wish the Teamster pension had a COLA. Maybe you guys can negotiate THAT in the next contract.
At the current rate of COLA for SS , our SS checks will be bigger than the pension in a couple years.
Nah

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

If it gets to bad you can always go back to dancing

On senior citizens night

Over70irregs

You never know what's going to happen in life
Does McDonald's yours may help you out if you can't work anymore for some reason

But unfortunately social security is also stacked against the person that saves

If you average $50,000 a year during your career and I averaged $100,000 a year during my career

I would have paid double in social security taxes but I would definitely not be getting double payments
Crap. Another reason to not work OT unless extra $ is making you $ or paying down debt.