I Survived Growing Up Catholic

My dad got in a little trouble when I was five and I stopped being a Catholic. Everything ended and I won't away. No religion for ten more years until I was taken in by a relative. I new nothing of God and was taught. Catholicism had passed me by at this point. It didn't matter. I discovered the true meaning of Christ. Saved my destroyed soul and I found my family of Catholics again and they treated me like a second class citizen. I was never confirmed so I was lost. What's lost for some is something Jesus found. It is what it is. Grow up poor become a teamster and live like a king. Try and take this away and ill plot to win in the end. I've been hungry unlike a lot of people and I'm not going back without a fight.

Ms.PacMan

I went to parochial school.

They used to make us kneel on the floors to make sure the skirts touched.

I once got hit in the head with a windex bottle for talking in class.

rod

Retired 22 years
When I was going to high school Catolic girls were considered "easy". I sould start another thread called "I survived marrying a Catolic girl".

S

serenity now

I went to parochial school.

They used to make us kneel on the floors to make sure the skirts touched.

I once got hit in the head with a windex bottle for talking in class.

glass or plastic,...... well it makes a difference

moreluck

golden ticket member
In the all girl high school, Mother Thaddea used to make us kneel down, the hem had to touch the floor and you were OK.
We always walked away and rolled the skirts up again.

We had to wear saddle oxfords (with black & white or the brown&white saddles). We had the white blouses, but no ties or scarves required. We also had no boys my final 3 years.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I once confessed to The Father that I was in love with my sister. He said, "how can that be, you have such beautiful brothers".

gingerkat

Agree with cachsux. Going to Catholic school and being brought up strict Catholic has left an ugly impression of organized religion on me. I wish I could reset my brain of so many of those teachings that still linger.

moreluck

golden ticket member
These were our grade school nuns (Holy Humility of Mary (HHM). A wooden ruler was a weapon of mass destruction in their hands.

Integrity

Binge Poster
NO ONE survives growing up Catholic.
cachsux,

My grandmother was a great lover of the Lord.

She was a devout follower and she worshipped in the Catholic Church.

I no longer worship in the Catholic Church however there are many beautiful things about it that I do appreciate and miss a little bit.

The Catholic Church has changed a lot.

Sincerely,
I

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have always felt the Bavarian Award Certificates( Bayern Urkunden) were much more colourful and detailed due to the Catholic background of Southern Germany 22_Feuerwehrfrau_Leer_Bayern.jpg25_AufdaLeiter_Leer_Bayern.jpg
22_Feuerwehrfrau_Leer_Bayern.jpg
25_AufdaLeiter_Leer_Bayern.jpg

Ms.PacMan

Ironically, my grandmother bought me a little religious card for my wallet when I got my driver's license.

It has the Archangel Raphael on the front and the back reads: Oh God, Almighty Father....grant that we, engaged in driving along the roads of this world, as automobile drivers in service of our brother, may always be mindful of our grave responsibility, and do show us the way of charity and prudence.

I still have it and carry it with my DOT card.

pretender

These were our grade school nuns (Holy Humility of Mary (HHM). A wooden ruler was a weapon of mass destruction in their hands.

We had the IHM nuns in grade school--I remember the wooden rulers, and the girls also had to kneel down to see if their skirts touched the floor. Every now and then, when someone sees my handwriting, I am asked if I went to a Catholic school...

My dad was a non practicing Catholic. I can't remember the first time, but there was an occasion when a few of the nuns visited our house. My dad did not put on any pretenses, and treated them the same as anyone else. I think they found it a bit of relief, because they became regular visitors, and my dad would make pizza for them and would offer them a beer. (I don't think they ever had one.) They just enjoyed being able to kick back, so to speak. They have all passed away now, but they kept in touch for many years after we were all out of school.

Inthegame

First grade bathroom break, lined up at the urinal, somebody (not me) talks and in rushes (floats) SISTER JAMES ANN and nearly lifts me off the ground by the hair as she slaps me back and forth across the face. To this day I don't talk to anyone in rest rooms cause I know she's listening somewhere.

Nuns in grade school and for good measure went to an all boys Jesuit high school. God Bless them all.