I want a drivers opinion

I have reached a point of seniority where I now may be able to go driving. I was wondering if this is a good idea because as far as the hub talk goes everyone is pretty negative about it. As drivers, do you regret going driving? Personally, driving was my goal when I got hired 6.5 years ago. There are a lot of nay sayers though. Your thoughts? Positives/Negatives?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Do it and then try to get up to feeders. It's where it's at.

twoeddies1

IMG_177893065414768.jpeg
IMG_177893065414768.jpeg

rod

Retired 22 years
Take em to Vegas----I'm sure Rick (Pawn Stars) would be happy to give you pennies on the dollar.

He can only buy guns made before Jan 1, 1900 ----and yes he would screw you ----just like the Pickers do to some of those old geezers. That's just the nature of the business---nobody is forced to sale. Sometimes, although very seldom, the tables are turned when what they pay is more than what something is worth. I bought a 100,000 btu torpedo heater for quick warm ups in my shop at a local pawn shop for 65 bucks because the guy said it didn't work. After a 14 dollar rebuild kit bought on line the thing hasn't missed a beat. A new one would set you back 3 or 4 hundred bucks.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I told my son exactly that. He went to work in the hub when they lowered the age. He was in high school. Got out of high school then went into the navy. Got out of the navy, and they hired him back with credit served in the navy. He even works in the feeder department that I spent 30 years in. When I left I told them to treat him right. haha. He's sorry he got those tats on his arms and hand while in the navy now. But yeah, I tried to talk him out of it. A couple of years ago, UPS had a campaign where they wanted drivers to recommend friends and family to work as helpers during peak. The last thing I'd do is try and convince friends and family to work here.

Coca Cola Delivery Man87

FYI. Got home at 8:40 tonight. My daughter had a school thing my wife and most parents were able to attend.... FYI started at 5:30.........just some advice, your gonna hate this friend'n job. Just be prepared.

missing out on your kids life to chase that dollar....the American dream at work.

I feel for you.
I start at 05:00hrs and wont get home until 23:00hrs ....but I don't have any kids or family.

Future

Victory Ride
I have reached a point of seniority where I now may be able to go driving. I was wondering if this is a good idea because as far as the hub talk goes everyone is pretty negative about it. As drivers, do you regret going driving? Personally, driving was my goal when I got hired 6.5 years ago. There are a lot of nay sayers though. Your thoughts? Positives/Negatives?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Future

Victory Ride

Sent using BrownCafe App
Take it for a test drive son! The only person who can give you the answer to this question is YOU! No ones opinion should matter, kinda like when Upstate decided to go into Management after 3 months of driving.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
He can only buy guns made before Jan 1, 1900 ----and yes he would screw you ----just like the Pickers do to some of those old geezers. That's just the nature of the business---nobody is forced to sale. Sometimes, although very seldom, the tables are turned when what they pay is more than what something is worth. I bought a 100,000 btu torpedo heater for quick warm ups in my shop at a local pawn shop for 65 bucks because the guy said it didn't work. After a 14 dollar rebuild kit bought on line the thing hasn't missed a beat. A new one would set you back 3 or 4 hundred bucks.
It always amazes me, that when they find out what its really worth, they take 50%. I would sleep under a bridge first.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It always amazes me, that when they find out what its really worth, they take 50%. I would sleep under a bridge first.

Keep in mind that "what it's really worth" is only if they are able to find someone willing to pay that amount, which would most likely be at an auction, whether live or online. I guess the question is do you take the reduced amount now or do you take a chance on finding the right buyer.

oldngray

nowhere special

Usually those pawn shows only offer about 1/3 of what the item is appraised at. Their first offer is usually around 30% and they will come up a little but never to 50%.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Keep in mind that "what it's really worth" is only if they are able to find someone willing to pay that amount, which would most likely be at an auction, whether live or online. I guess the question is do you take the reduced amount now or do you take a chance on finding the right buyer.
If I had something of value, that I could easily list on ebay for nothing, I would do that before I would give it to someone else to make money on. And I would wait until I found the right buyer, before I would give it away, but thats just me.