I want my life back Supervisor version...

diesel96

On roads are probably one of the least desirable positions in the Co. IMO, You get :censored2: on by the drivers (when your a prick) , and you get :censored2: on by Upper Mngmt (when your not a prick)....But seriously, you made your choice so in order to maintain sanity and cut hours, rotate or alternate with the other "ON Roads" a work schedule consisiting of who opens, who closes, who works Saturdays with a weekday off, and so on...Of course this is only feasible providing the center manager doesn't have a Napoleon complex and vetos this.
By speaking with the "On Roads" at my center, they seem comfortable with their arrangement as far as hours worked.....Now if your Bldg is in the business of enforcing excessive 3 day OJS rides , well your S O L ....

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My on-car starts around 700 730 and he is never (or rarely ever) there past 5. But I also have no idea how much work he does from home either. I know I have called him as late as 7/8 and he will answer if it is important.

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Cant we just let management have one thread to vent? While we have bad management we also have good management and they are teh ones that really need to vent. If they dont they could turn in to bad management as well. We do not have to trun every discusiion in to a union verses management debate.

Let it go plenty of other threads currently going on with the debate. IMO

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
All I know that if I call my Feeder supe, he answers the phone on the second ring. And that is after he has worked all day. I think he sleeps with the earpiece for the cell phone in his ear.

Cant we just let management have one thread to vent? While we have bad management we also have good management and they are teh ones that really need to vent. If they dont they could turn in to bad management as well. We do not have to trun every discusiion in to a union verses management debate.

Let it go plenty of other threads currently going on with the debate. IMO
Red, so glad you posted that....we have to realize that many sups are not any happier with the direction UPS is going as the hourly people are. The kicker is, they can't do anything to fix it either. Supervisors have a job to do, just like the rest of us....it's just a different job. The "bad" sups enjoy making us miserable, the good ones don't enjoy it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
While the reality of his job might actually require him to work 65 or 70 hrs a week....I am willing to bet that the "allowance" for his job (as determined by IE) is more like 45 or 50 hours. If he complains, he will simply be told to "work smarter not harder", or "its all built in". Its a sure bet that whoever is telling him that he is taking too long has probably never done his job themselves.

Welcome to our world.

Can anyone weigh in on how many hours they or their on-roads are working? I average 60-65 a week and was told I would be working 50 when hired. Just want to know if this is wide spread or just in the north west?

island1fox

You drivers are cold hearted. he made a decision, for whatever reason, to try something. It looks real good on paper, when you accept the position. As like any job it has its unknowns. You never think you are going to be sleeping with an enemy. Give him a break, he made a decision on a career, that doesnt suit him, and the only way out is to quit. Its not that easy to walk away. Teamster, or management.

toonertoo,
It is seldom I disagee with you --but on this --I was on on-car supervisor for five long years in the early seventies --in over forty years little has changed ---the hours for the on-car has always been very long -especially when forced to OJS. Every person who gets interviewed for supervision is told the hours are long and there is no overtime. You are betting on yourself to move up in Management to better hours and better pay. Even if someone claims they were not told --they would have to be pretty stupid not to have looked at the on car supervisors job before making the decision.
I just hate when someone who knows the hours will be very long --still makes the decision --and cries about it later.
Ten or twenty years from now --we will still hear from people who enter supervision and then cry about the hours. Did this person live in a vacuum before he decided to make the move ???:sad-little:

705red

Browncafe Steward
toonertoo,
It is seldom I disagee with you --but on this --I was on on-car supervisor for five long years in the early seventies --in over forty years little has changed ---the hours for the on-car has always been very long -especially when forced to OJS. Every person who gets interviewed for supervision is told the hours are long and there is no overtime. You are betting on yourself to move up in Management to better hours and better pay. Even if someone claims they were not told --they would have to be pretty stupid not to have looked at the on car supervisors job before making the decision.
I just hate when someone who knows the hours will be very long --still makes the decision --and cries about it later.
Ten or twenty years from now --we will still hear from people who enter supervision and then cry about the hours. Did this person live in a vacuum before he decided to make the move ???:sad-little:

Ten or twenty years from now we wont have many if any drivers that went in to on car supervisor jobs. I wouldnt say they lived in a vacuum, more than likely they will be part time sups or hired right off the street to perform this job, and than where will this company be? Imagine sups telling people what to do when they cannot do the job or never worked their way up to the job. UPS used to be an appealing job, now you have sups looking elsewhere even for a pay cut because its less stressful. And if this insurance thing pans out how many drivers that stay for the benfits will leave?

Raw

Raw Member
Are there any other On-Road sups that are as fed up as the drivers working over 9.5. I know I know the union guys say I signed up for it, but 65-70 hours a week for years on end is crap. Show up at 630 AM, ride all day, get off car at 630 PM and do paper work to 8-10 PM. That is if nothing goes wrong during the day. Need to hear from some sups around the country on this....I want to see if I am crazy or not. And yes I know I signed up for it. But abuse is abuse, union or non-union.
:rofl:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
toonertoo,
I dont really think we disagree.
We are all told in either function that the hours will be long. We knew that, we mostly felt OK about it. We knew Christmas, weather would always increase our days, and present a challenge, most of us live for the challenge. Power outtages for days on end, unloading trailers, shoving the boxes down the belt, getting the job done. It was team work, and no one ever thought of filing a grievance when a sup stepped in and helped get the job done.
But as of late, we all work week after week with no end in sight to the long dispatch, and as late as we are, sups are just as late.
I think it is unfair for drivers to tell management to quit crying, they picked it. We cry and we also picked it.
I personally dont think UPS is the same as it was in your career. I know its not the same as in the 80s when I started. Sups will most likely never make millionaire status, or managers for that matter.
And I do agree, with 705, I cant think of one driver of the 100+ I know who has any desire to go into management. Not anymore.

upssup

Even in Auto we do long days, 10 on a normal basis but if we are at extended centers and do a 3 day visit we can do up to 14 a day but it is max of one week a month. I did not realize On road did such long hours, no wonder my boss always threatens me with becoming an on road sup if I do not change my ways. he is kidding but now I know where the punchline is!

tieguy

Banned
Can anyone weigh in on how many hours they or their on-roads are working? I average 60-65 a week and was told I would be working 50 when hired. Just want to know if this is wide spread or just in the north west?

what keeping you late each day? does you center use the late man concept to keep the hours down?

what keeping you late each day? does you center use the late man concept to keep the hours down?

It is just a concept. 3 sups, one runs local sort, one does Saturday and one has to travle to an extended center. These and many other responsibilities cause lots of excess hours. Plus when we do the early late schedule when something bad happens it gets blown out of the water and we all work.
I think that many think this is unfair. I feel sorry for the drivers....any sup that can find another job is going to and for the rest that stay...well you know who they are...and they are the worst of the bunch that hang on just long enough to become a tyrant as a center manager. Making everyones life hell sup and union alike. I guess it is the way the company is....just trying to figure when is the best time to punch out.
By the way I was a driver and a shop steward for 4 years. I thought if I were on the inside I coould change it....guess that I was wrong!!!!

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
in our 3 on-road sup center - there is 1 late night sup, who as a rule leaves at approx 7:30, 8:00 being the latest. The other 2 don't even return to the bldg - so who knows when they are officially done. All 3 however, are always available via cell phone for any issues and will come back if necessary. They all are given 1 day or 1/2 day to complete paperwork inside.

NHDRVR

The center managers and on-roads in our bldg. are ghosts (excluding the late night guy) when we get back at night. The office staff are quite willing to let us know who is where and when they left. I would be surprised if any of them hit 50 hours a week...

Big Brother

Are there any other On-Road sups that are as fed up as the drivers working over 9.5. I know I know the union guys say I signed up for it, but 65-70 hours a week for years on end is crap. Show up at 630 AM, ride all day, get off car at 630 PM and do paper work to 8-10 PM. That is if nothing goes wrong during the day. Need to hear from some sups around the country on this....I want to see if I am crazy or not. And yes I know I signed up for it. But abuse is abuse, union or non-union.

GS ??

Big Brother

It is just a concept. 3 sups, one runs local sort, one does Saturday and one has to travle to an extended center. These and many other responsibilities cause lots of excess hours. Plus when we do the early late schedule when something bad happens it gets blown out of the water and we all work.
I think that many think this is unfair. I feel sorry for the drivers....any sup that can find another job is going to and for the rest that stay...well you know who they are...and they are the worst of the bunch that hang on just long enough to become a tyrant as a center manager. Making everyones life hell sup and union alike. I guess it is the way the company is....just trying to figure when is the best time to punch out.
By the way I was a driver and a shop steward for 4 years. I thought if I were on the inside I coould change it....guess that I was wrong!!!!