I want my life back Supervisor version...

island1fox

LMAO @ the implication that Casey would think anyone that wasn't "determined" by his standard was "lazy and incompetent." Maybe I'm one of very few newbies, under 30 working for UPS that pays attention to Casey's words. However, in my humble opinion, it doesn't take much time researching him to realize the insight into human condition you spoke of went far beyond thoughts. He practiced helping people.

If you have in fact read many of Jim Casey's writings ---you would also notice that they "empower people " to reach inside themselves --grow and develop.
Speaking with 36 years of UPS experience and working and talking to Jim Casey when the Corporate office was on the 8th floor of the 43rd street bldg in NYC---I firmly believe that an on-car supervisor that cries about his hours and feels he cannot change anything --can very easily be deemed to be lazy or incompetent . Just my very humble opinion !!! O/k -I agree --maybe not so humble !!:happy-very::happy-very:

A competant, non lazy Management person ---would manage the situation --do something --make a difference---make the condition rather than cry about the situation and become a victim of it. As other people have stated --if you cannot or will not do your job --move on --you will be better off rather than staying an on-car supervisor the rest of your career.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
If you have in fact read many of Jim Casey's writings ---you would also notice that they "empower people " to reach inside themselves --grow and develop.
Speaking with 36 years of UPS experience and working and talking to Jim Casey when the Corporate office was on the 8th floor of the 43rd street bldg in NYC---I firmly believe that an on-car supervisor that cries about his hours and feels he cannot change anything --can very easily be deemed to be lazy or incompetent . Just my very humble opinion !!! O/k -I agree --maybe not so humble !!:happy-very::happy-very:

A competant, non lazy Management person ---would manage the situation --do something --make a difference---make the condition rather than cry about the situation and become a victim of it. As other people have stated --if you cannot or will not do your job --move on --you will be better off rather than staying an on-car supervisor the rest of your career.
um sir,,what planet you living on,,,are you familiar with the current going on's in operations .??????????????????? har har har.. ,, a on -road or center manager changing things === no raise/bonus and see ya later,,, where are you working again?

island1fox

atatbl,
Just another point --I do not --and was not speaking for Jim Casey when I reponded to the post on the word "irony". I used a Jim Casey quote ---but the lazy and incompetant comment was mine ---and I stand by it --again just my opinion.:peaceful:

island1fox

um sir,,what planet you living on,,,are you familiar with the current going on's in operations .??????????????????? har har har.. ,, a on -road or center manager changing things === no raise/bonus and see ya later,,, where are you working again?

hellfire,
If you did not understand my post on scenario number one and scenario number two ---senseless for me to try to explain the obvious to you.

hellfire

hellfire,
If you did not understand my post on scenario number one and scenario number two ---senseless for me to try to explain the obvious to you.
------------------------------------------are you currently employed and working in operations at UPS ??

island1fox

------------------------------------------are you currently employed and working in operations at UPS ??

Let me answer your question based on a few known facts.

1. Corporate has Business plan based on Volume, revenue and total cost.
2. The business plan is then divided between three regions and twenty districts --it should be obvious to you it has to equal the Corporate Plan.
3. The district plans are than divided and shared by the divisions and centers all around the company. Again all the parts must add up to the original plan.

With that fact being stated --weak management will cry to drivers that ALL decision making has been taken away. I friend thats what you believe --fine --discussion ended.
Otherwise if you can open your mind--consider the following :
1. Can the Local Management decide and determine who are the hard working drivers are and compliment them and also determine who the poor performers are and analyze and put in real solutions --for example ---maybe the driver was never really properlt trained or maybe the driver does not want to do the job --works excessive hours and puts pressure on all other drivers.
2. Can local Management take part in real safety commitees and truly make UPS a better and safer place to work.
3. Can local management work with high claim and damage accounts ?
4. can local management work with difficult customers that can make a drivers day miseable.
5. Can local management communicate and listen to the drivers and partimers that report to them.
6. Can local management make sure the cars and builings are clean for all employees.
7. Can they ----
8. Can they -----etc etc etc.

I can go on and on -------every employee --Ceo --region mgr --district --mgr --lical mgmt--Drivers--P/t,s --admin , mechanics ---etc,etc--
Any and all can do their jobs and contribute --there are contract to follow, a business plan to follow and labor laws to follow ----CUT the crap that in this day and age an on-car supervisor cannot do the job that he has the authority to do.
If anyone wants to change the Corporate Business plan ---go into management do YOUR job --work your way up ---become part of the management commitee and than you can make the business plan and control the dispatch across the entire country.
I friend you do not like the reality of my answer ---live in or on whatever planet you choose. I live in this world --and this is REALITY wheter you like it or not !!!:peaceful:

dodptsup

On-Road sups in my building seem to pretty much work an 11 hr day. I would guess there is an hour unpaid lunch built into the day, but in reality it is grabbing a bite while working at the desk in most cases.

island1fox

On-Road sups in my building seem to pretty much work an 11 hr day. I would guess there is an hour unpaid lunch built into the day, but in reality it is grabbing a bite while working at the desk in most cases.

dodptsup,
I do not doubt your statement ----have been there --done that !

RoyalFlush

One of Them
Let me answer your question based on a few known facts.

1. Corporate has Business plan based on Volume, revenue and total cost.
2. The business plan is then divided between three regions and twenty districts --it should be obvious to you it has to equal the Corporate Plan.
3. The district plans are than divided and shared by the divisions and centers all around the company. Again all the parts must add up to the original plan.

With that fact being stated --weak management will cry to drivers that ALL decision making has been taken away. I friend thats what you believe --fine --discussion ended.
Otherwise if you can open your mind--consider the following :
1. Can the Local Management decide and determine who are the hard working drivers are and compliment them and also determine who the poor performers are and analyze and put in real solutions --for example ---maybe the driver was never really properly trained or maybe the driver does not want to do the job --works excessive hours and puts pressure on all other drivers.
2. Can local Management take part in real safety commitees and truly make UPS a better and safer place to work.
3. Can local management work with high claim and damage accounts ?
4. can local management work with difficult customers that can make a drivers day miseable.
5. Can local management communicate and listen to the drivers and partimers that report to them.
6. Can local management make sure the cars and builings are clean for all employees.
7. Can they ----
8. Can they -----etc etc etc.

I can go on and on -------every employee --Ceo --region mgr --district --mgr --lical mgmt--Drivers--P/t,s --admin , mechanics ---etc,etc--
Any and all can do their jobs and contribute --there are contract to follow, a business plan to follow and labor laws to follow ----CUT the crap that in this day and age an on-car supervisor cannot do the job that he has the authority to do.
If anyone wants to change the Corporate Business plan ---go into management do YOUR job --work your way up ---become part of the management commitee and than you can make the business plan and control the dispatch across the entire country.
I friend you do not like the reality of my answer ---live in or on whatever planet you choose. I live in this world --and this is REALITY wheter you like it or not !!!:peaceful:

I tend to agree that in many cases the sups working excessive hours are weak performers, but not in all cases. If the operation is running smoothly the sups job is easier. If the entire operation is in a shambles, the sups job can be pretty difficult, even though the sup may have nothing to do with the operation being in the toilet. There are some managers and division managers that think the solution to every problem is to have the supervisor stick around and babysit the operation from start to finish. This leads to long hours considering eam drivers start very early and PM air drivers finish when the plane takes off. Our area has normal drivers out as early as 730 am and out as late as 9 pm. Throw in a few daily mandatory off hour tele-conference beat up /penalty sessions, shuttle missed pieces, run a route cause the staffing is off, and the long hours are locked in for the supervisor.

I'd like you to explain how an on road sup can make sure the cars and the buildings are clean. You seem to have some pretty unrealistic expectations, which also contributes to excessive management hours. Local management can do a lot, but the guys on the bottom can't do it with out support from the center and district management.

island1fox

I tend to agree that in many cases the sups working excessive hours are weak performers, but not in all cases. If the operation is running smoothly the sups job is easier. If the entire operation is in a shambles, the sups job can be pretty difficult, even though the sup may have nothing to do with the operation being in the toilet. There are some managers and division managers that think the solution to every problem is to have the supervisor stick around and babysit the operation from start to finish. This leads to long hours considering eam drivers start very early and PM air drivers finish when the plane takes off. Our area has normal drivers out as early as 730 am and out as late as 9 pm. Throw in a few daily mandatory off hour tele-conference beat up /penalty sessions, shuttle missed pieces, run a route cause the staffing is off, and the long hours are locked in for the supervisor.

I'd like you to explain how an on road sup can make sure the cars and the buildings are clean. You seem to have some pretty unrealistic expectations, which also contributes to excessive management hours. Local management can do a lot, but the guys on the bottom can't do it with out support from the center and district management.

Big brown web
Everything is not a major problem. When an on-car supervisor is motivated and organized ( and demonstates he or she is capable of more responsability ) walks into the building in the early hours of the morning is it so difficult to use an auditing eye. If the cars are not clean --seek out the inside or c/w supervisor ---if the building is not being swept and the porter or ouside service is leaning on their broom ---don't walk by as if you are blind !!! As a part time supervisor (on the bottom) I was able to use organizational skills,communication skills, etc---to rise through the management ranks to reach a senior level in the Company. No full time supervisor, Manager or Division Manager I worked for ever held me back. I would and could be a team player but if I had to get something done myself because of incompetance above me --so be it.
The people that can only complain about their hours or lack of support from upper management ---usually just have to look in the mirror to see where the real problem lies.:sad-little:

Last edited:

hellfire

seems we have another case of nostalgia ,,non-relavent reminiscing,,""""when i did it we did it the right way hum-drum"""--- you never answered my question,,are you CURRENTLY in operations at ups???????...Your way might have worked years ago but your ideology would never hold up at the new and improved ups

The management people that started 30 + years ago are so brain washed in the same thought processes. I have not seen an on road sup no matter how organized average less than 60 hours per week. That is why I have filed a class action lawsuit to collect on unpaid overtime on behalf of all on road supervisors. I filed last week and will continue to update on the status.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
The management people that started 30 + years ago are so brain washed in the same thought processes. I have not seen an on road sup no matter how organized average less than 60 hours per week. That is why I have filed a class action lawsuit to collect on unpaid overtime on behalf of all on road supervisors. I filed last week and will continue to update on the status.

Thanks...Good for business.

Or are you just some child that doesn't have an idea of how this affects our business. In other terms, you have just initiated more layoffs. Thanks for the negative press!!

RoyalFlush

One of Them

Or are you just some child that doesn't have an idea of how this affects our business. In other terms, you have just initiated more layoffs. Thanks for the negative press!!

So the logic is: Supervisors that feel they are being abused should look out for the best interest of the company and overlook their own best interest?

I personally think it's pretty sad that the company takes advantage of the management people. Health benefits, MIP, pay raises, pension, working conditions, job security have all declined significantly over the past several years. If you've been paying attention, it's pretty clear that its all part of the plan to reduce management compensation. I don't have access to the numbers, but I'm sure it's one of the targeted areas being used to increase earnings per share.

I guess it's the companies prerogative to do what they want, but I'm not sure I understand how you and the company feel justified in expecting more from the management employees while compensation is being systematically reduced.

island1fox

seems we have another case of nostalgia ,,non-relavent reminiscing,,""""when i did it we did it the right way hum-drum"""--- you never answered my question,,are you CURRENTLY in operations at ups???????...Your way might have worked years ago but your ideology would never hold up at the new and improved ups

This is getting boring --you can lead a horse to water --but ---:happy-very:.
If you do not understand my point by now --you never will --is and was never a person to waste time!

hellfire

This is getting boring --you can lead a horse to water --but ---:happy-very:.
If you do not understand my point by now --you never will --is and was never a person to waste time!
yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thats nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just keep telling us about the good old days

So you agree that the lawsuit is justified then. And as for negitive press.... if it is earned than it is deserved. I have been contacted privately by supervisors and their families and they feel the way I do. And I have read the Legacy books.... no one follows Casey's model anymore. I know how it has affected my life and others. UPS talkes about worklife balance but does nothing to help with it.

rocket man

in our 3 on-road sup center - there is 1 late night sup, who as a rule leaves at approx 7:30, 8:00 being the latest. The other 2 don't even return to the bldg - so who knows when they are officially done. All 3 however, are always available via cell phone for any issues and will come back if necessary. They all are given 1 day or 1/2 day to complete paperwork inside.