I was fired because a manager didnt like me (follow up)

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I was schedualed for arbatration June 1st , four weeks from now , but I was contacted by Ron H 2 days ago and notified that there will be no need as he has successfuly negotiated my return to work .
Thank God , its been a long 8 1/2 months .
I would like to thank everyone for there concern and all the help and advice sent via e mail etc I appreciate it very much so.
The question still remains , I wonder if its just coincedence that the union stepped up to bat and ended this nonsense 2 weeks after posting the letter that I wrote to J hoffa and just a week after writeing to the NlB,EEOC Cal OSHSA and a ton of other government agency`s ? or would I be returning anyways if I had sat idol and quiet ?
To be honest , I dont know and dont care ! I am returning to work as soon as I am released by my doctor , the thought of 10 hour days 150 stops and being written up for takeing my lunch 2 minutes late sounds GREAT about right now and I cant wait ( wonder how long I will remain with this attitude) to be back on the road .
Thank goodness there are some people at UPS who are able to think outside the bun, so to speak.

upsgrunt

I was schedualed for arbatration June 1st , four weeks from now , but I was contacted by Ron H 2 days ago and notified that there will be no need as he has successfuly negotiated my return to work .
I would like to thank everyone for there concern and all the help and advice sent via e mail etc I appreciate it very much so.
The question still remains , I wonder if its just coincedence that the union stepped up to bat and ended this nonsense 2 weeks after posting the letter that I wrote to J hoffa and just a week after writeing to the NlB,EEOC Cal OSHSA and a ton of other government agency`s ? or would I be returning anyways if I had sat idol and quiet ?
To be honest , I dont know and dont care ! I am returning to work as soon as I am released by my doctor , the thought of 10 hour days 150 stops and being written up for takeing my lunch 2 minutes late sounds GREAT about right now and I cant wait ( wonder how long I will remain with this attitude) to be back on the road .
Thank goodness there are some people at UPS who are able to think outside the bun, so to speak.

Since there was no arbitration, do you get back pay?

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Back pay is not an option because I hired a workers comp atterney to settle a previous injury (that happened before I was terminated ) so I have been on workers comp.

upsgrunt

I forgot to tell you congratulations!!! Also, I wonder what Tie will have to say about your good fortune. LOL (twice)

Cole

I told you they had no case bro!

Congrats! You are entitled to backpay because you were wrongfully terminated, thus they didn't want it to go to arbitration. Possibly the union negotiated a "no backpay deal". If you chose to go for back pay, you could file for the difference in your regular wages and workman's comp etc...because workman's comp pays quite a bit less.

That is completly your choice though. You showed them you were no push over, and both sides knew they had better get on the ball. If you filed with OSHA I assure you that weighed in too.

Congrats again bro!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

I think it all comes into play. If you had just laid down coz you said you knew you made a mistake, you would still be gone.
Im sure none of us will never know the complete story with all the details, but last time I checked most of us still bleed, therefore we will make mistakes. Unless it was blatant neglect, you shouldnt lose your livelehood over it. You must have had some good qualities or you wouldnt have gotten back. You've learned alot and it was costly, it will continue to be so. Dont screw up, dont carry a grudge, go to work to make money, not friends, (no more tacos with sups) take them home to family. And good luck. I wish you well.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I`m sure the Tie Guy is happy for me ! ( well Maybe ) He`s not so bad , Ive read a lot of his posts and seems like a pretty honest and straight up Kinda guy, If you belive in something theres nothing wrong with expessing your opinions thats everyones god given right , even Brown Cafe member " RAW`s " , no matter how ignorant or stupid they may be . Its still a free country.

Raw

Raw Member
If you belive in something theres nothing wrong with expessing your opinions thats everyones god given right , even Brown Cafe member " RAW`s " , no matter how ignorant or stupid they may be . Its still a free country.
WHAT YOU SAID ?? :*******:

Raw

Raw Member
Great News ! Maybe some morning if your tired you can reach in your " gift basket '" in front of management and snort a line of cocaine for energy ! It`s so called " drivers " such as The U.K. Guy that keeps management off the butts of us good drivers. In 20 years I have never even recieved a warning letter!!:thumbup1: Keep on `truckin !

tieguy

Banned
I forgot to tell you congratulations!!! Also, I wonder what Tie will have to say about your good fortune. LOL (twice)

I think I'm entitled to take my share of the credit. :thumbup1:

UK . Good luck . Learn from your mistakes, move on. no more taco's and beer.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
You are a driver Raw ? I thought you were in managment ! Cocaine is so 80`s, you need to stop watching Miami Vice re-runs stop kissing managment butt and remember we are supposed to be teamster brothers , Brother. Dont be mad ! Be glad !

trickpony1

The question still remains , I wonder if its just coincedence that the union stepped up to bat and ended this nonsense 2 weeks after posting the letter that I wrote to J hoffa and just a week after writeing to the NlB,EEOC Cal OSHSA and a ton of other government agency`s ? or would I be returning anyways if I had sat idol and quiet ?/QUOTE]

I agree with Tooner. If you had just thrown up your hands and taken this "lying down" then you would probably still be unemployed. Putting the issue on paper tends to force the opposing party to act on the issue.

Sometimes life gives the test first and the lesson later...........
1)don't do anything extra for these people;
2)these people are not your friends;
3)do the job and smile at them as you walk out the door;
4)be sure to dot your i's and cross your t's;
5)watch what you say, even to other drivers, about management;
6)don't socialize with management
Congrats on your return.......concentrate on making it to retirement :thumbup1:

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Thanks Trick, Retirement, I cashed out all my retirement so I wouldnt lose my house . 15 years worth made about 3 house payments so back to square 1 for me in that department . Not to worry I still have my house and I will be looking into IRA`s . It was quite an eye opener finding out how little I had in the retirement fund.

Raw

Raw Member
You are a driver Raw ? I thought you were in managment ! Cocaine is so 80`s, you need to stop watching Miami Vice re-runs stop kissing managment butt and remember we are supposed to be teamster brothers , Brother. Dont be mad ! Be glad !
I don`t kiss anyones butt. A glance at my post`s and one will see I give help when I can but I have no tolerance for what sounds like a BS story or a story with many pieces missing. I am just as blunt to a BS management than I am with a BS teamster brother. And not just on a discussion board on the internet.

local804

I don`t kiss anyones butt. A glance at my post`s and one will see I give help when I can but I have no tolerance for what sounds like a BS story or a story with many pieces missing. I am just as blunt to a BS management than I am with a BS teamster brother. And not just on a discussion board on the internet.

I usually dont buy alot of crap people talk about on this site either. Its just like a telephone tough guy but with a computer. From what I could remember, the story did sound like horse s$%#, but UK did answer all the questions that were asked of him.He also named his building and the center where he worked. I am sure one of the suits could have contacted his center to verify if his story was true but did not. Im sure there are 3 sides to this story and would die to find out the truth but will never know. He is innocent until proven guilty and gets my thumbs up. Welcome back.

beentheredonethat

Thanks Trick, Retirement, I cashed out all my retirement so I wouldnt lose my house . 15 years worth made about 3 house payments so back to square 1 for me in that department . Not to worry I still have my house and I will be looking into IRA`s . It was quite an eye opener finding out how little I had in the retirement fund.

Welcome back. I think many people are in similar situation when it comes to retirement and not planning to take care of themselves. Fortunately you realized it now and hopefully will be able to prepare for the future now. My opinion is save as if their is no pension and no SS. If there is you'll have one sweet retirement. If it isn't there, you'll still be doing OK. I know a lot of people on the board indicated they are doing a good job with 401K's, IRA's etc. But I'm sure most of us would agree we should put away at least a little more for a rainy day\retirement.

local804

UK guy,
Is that a picture of you in your avatar? If so, I retract all the doubts about you breaking a bottle open with your teeth and so on.
Aces High

tieguy

Banned
The question still remains , I wonder if its just coincedence that the union stepped up to bat and ended this nonsense 2 weeks after posting the letter that I wrote to J hoffa and just a week after writeing to the NlB,EEOC Cal OSHSA and a ton of other government agency`s ? or would I be returning anyways if I had sat idol and quiet ?/QUOTE]

I agree with Tooner. If you had just thrown up your hands and taken this "lying down" then you would probably still be unemployed. Putting the issue on paper tends to force the opposing party to act on the issue.

Sometimes life gives the test first and the lesson later...........
1)don't do anything extra for these people;
2)these people are not your friends;
3)do the job and smile at them as you walk out the door;
4)be sure to dot your i's and cross your t's;
5)watch what you say, even to other drivers, about management;
6)don't socialize with management
Congrats on your return.......concentrate on making it to retirement :thumbup1:

First off I love the test first and the lesson later line. :thumbup1:

Second you either have not read the rest of his posts or you have not been paying attention.

This guy apparently had no friends or help anywhere.
His union did not do anything to help him. Hell they didn't even catch the fact that a discharge letter was never sent. I don't know about you but I've never seen that one happen. I think him asking the BA for a copy of his discharge letter probably got the wheels rolling and got him back to work. Thats something his union should have caught 8 months ago. You can't be fired if you have not been fired. I would have loved to have sat in on his panel hearing and listened to this one play out. I've never heard anything so crazy.

What you should get out of this is to learn the contract so you know if your teamster reps are earning their keep or not.There are many dedicated shop stewards and BA's out there. There are also some stewards and BA's who are terrible at thier job. your teamster brotherhood is a joke. Calling each other brother and wanking each other off does not make you invincible to accountability. The good employees at UPS don't need a brotherhood to protect them. The malcontents and screw ups are the ones that hide behind the "brotherhood" lines. Your local is apparently no good at represeting its "brothers" and only good at class action lawsuits and thats because they don't have to prove they were victimized and don't even have to present a case.

The next lesson you have to learn is you have some faults and you made some bad decisions that brought this crisis on you. You were very very lucky. You probably got your job back because of a procedural error. You won't always be so lucky if you don't do some soul searching and change your ways.
Don't fool yourself into thinking those letters you wrote saved your job and made you invincible. Don't get caught up in the mystical brotherhood mumbo jumbo. A BA will gladly serve up a tattoo wearing hard head who drank on UPS property if he can save a 25 year feeder driver who made one mistake in his career. You don't keep your job by writing letters to government agencies. You keep it by coming in and trying to do the best job you can, You keep it by showing you are concerned about the job you do. A UPSer who is thus concerned keeps their job, someone who hides behind the brotherhood loses his the first time he chokes on a taco and reaches for the wrong beverage. Your little trick with grabbing the beer and busting the top off makes me question your decision making. The fact that 10 people you just bought lunch for did nothing to save your job tells me something else. It tells me you may be considered a loose canon. Loose canons make management very nervous. Loose canons get fired the first time they screw up so management no longer has to worry about what you're doing that day. These are the realities of the world in which we live in. Not exclusively the ups world but the world in general.

tieguy

Banned
I usually dont buy alot of crap people talk about on this site either. Its just like a telephone tough guy but with a computer. From what I could remember, the story did sound like horse s$%#, but UK did answer all the questions that were asked of him.He also named his building and the center where he worked. I am sure one of the suits could have contacted his center to verify if his story was true but did not.

I tried that. He gave me names and a center phone number. I called the center phone number and it was a UPS 1-800 type number. Most of the names did not check out. We have a global email listing of every person at UPS with a UPS email address. The only name that checked out was the name of the current center manager. None of the other names were listed. with that said I still have not totally discounted his story because his spelling is pretty bad at times and its possible he totally misspelled the names he gave me. But another odd point i suppose in this strange , strange story.

At that point after thinking about it some more I aborted this effort because technically I really have no need to know the details of this case. I can certainly question or challenge whatever points he posts here but I have no right to actually post case details I may discover by making that phone call to the center.

Would anyone care to research the union side of this issue?