I will never understand....

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Driver: "man my on car is a wuss and he never does what I think he should do"
On Car: "god these drivers whine about every little thing, I'm just doing what I'm told to do"
Center Manager: "the on cars and drivers better do what they're told or I'm gonna get reamed"
UPS: LOL
One thing I've realized is that we all get bent over by the logo, just in much different ways. If you have a sup who's a jerk, it's because he's a jerk, not because he's a UPS sup. We get pitted against each other and I swear it's intentional sometimes...ultimately we are all on the same team and are just trying to cover our own individual asses and survive.
Welcome to Corporate America.

542thruNthru

Maybe because the manager has to work as directed too?

59zioay.gif

Blackstream

Case in point. These shuttle drivers. Driving around, setting up meet points, meeting drivers, even though they may not be making driver rate, is costing the Company more money than these shuttle drivers delivering the airs, but that would affect that number on a piece of paper. Hell no.
That reminds of some :censored2: I saw last peak, and probably soon this peak. We have our local volume that thanks to some circumstances sometimes we get trailers full of nothing but local volume. It all goes down one belt, and unfortunately for the sorters, that belt is above their heads. But the real reason it's dumb is that belt just can't handle that kind of volume. Hell they can't even handle the volume when it's just normal flow half the time. So their belt shuts off, but management has to have their trailer turns be a certain number to not get yelled at, so they keep ramming it through, and we have a secondary location that it all goes to where they load that flow into a trailer. Yeah. On top of that, when things get really bad and all the other belts shut off too, rather than slow things down or cut the trailers, they'll tell us to just missort all the packages to basically wherever we can just to get the flow out. As you can also imagine, all the hot packages that go this way don't make service, and they go into left in trailers.

tl;dr: Rather than cut the trailers like a smart company, they'd rather get their turn and flow counts higher and waste fuuuuuuckloads of money to move packages from one trailer into another, leaving it for the next shift to deal with. At best they're spending all this money to consolidate some trailers, which I doubt is cost effective, although our feeder logistics are also :censored2:ty as stuff gets clogged up really fast.

Blackstream

And yes, it has gotten worse. Sometimes I feel sorry for you guys, but I didn't force you into supervision. It is far different than it was 20 years ago, maybe even from just 10 years ago.
What did it used to be like for supervisors? Did they have more freedom to supervise?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What did it used to be like for supervisors? Did they have more freedom to supervise?

Center Managers actually made decisions and ran their centers instead of blindly following a plan on paper at all costs.

They still had recommendations to follow regarding stops per car and other numbers to meet, but didn't get their heads chewed off if they didn't hit those numbers.

They trusted their center manager's, who they placed into that position, to make sound decisions, even if they had to "toss the plan" out the window for one reason or another.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Center Managers actually made decisions and ran their centers instead of blindly following a plan on paper at all costs.

They still had recommendations to follow regarding stops per car and other numbers to meet, but didn't get their heads chewed off if they didn't hit those numbers.

They trusted their center manager's, who they placed into that position, to make sound decisions, even if they had to "toss the plan" out the window for one reason or another.
They would be more aptly labeled "Center Facilitator", instead of "Manager" these days???

This "trickle down" managerial structure defeats any chance of a meaningful front line decision....and it's a shame, because most center manager's I have dealt with were capable of putting out a fire.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
They would be more aptly labeled "Center Facilitator", instead of "Manager" these days???

This "trickle down" managerial structure defeats any chance of a meaningful front line decision....and it's a shame, because most center manager's I have dealt with were capable of putting out a fire.

I posted this before, and it still stands true.

A resignation letter from a Center Manager.

Attachments

• Resignation.pdf
    57.8 KB · Views: 224