I work part time and pay sucks

kingOFchester

I bought a new car a few months back. Who the hell do they think they are. I paid over 19k. A rip off. The warranty is only 4 years. CRAZY. It is black and I hate black. Only get 27 miles per gallon. They can do better then that. Buddy at work gets 40 on his car. Really pissed that the interior is tan. I hate tan. Come to find out it doesn't have navigation. Thats right, I have to break out a map every morning to get my :censored2: to work.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I just started working for UPS as a preloader part-time and man does the pay really suck. It takes me only 10 minutes to get to work but I have to cross the bridge and just the toll charge is $5.00. and I am only getting $9.50/hr. This is so sad. more than half amn hour goes to crossing the bridge. It seems like UPS starts out people part time because the Local Teamster Union does not care much for them. What I really ask for in their new contract is pay their part timers way more or lessen the work load. I have to load 3 trucks and it is only my second week. It really seems like I am not being fairly compensated for what I do. I read in 1997 they ware getting $8.50 an hour when gas was way underr $2.00/gallon and now 15 years later it is only $1 more and gas is more than $4/gallon. we need to do the math and see what is wrong here.
Geez! Did you have to yell it at us????

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would move to the other side of the bridge. Or buy a boat.

There is a ferry which runs between my hometown and Burlington, VT. The ferry is $20 roundtrip for a car and driver but only $2 if you walk on. A lot of people live here but work there (and vice versa) and have a car on each side of the lake.

To the OP---I suggest you talk to your co-workers to see if anyone lives close to that bridge and could pick you up and drop you off each day. As far as the pay and workload goes, I agree that the starting wage is way too low---it should be bumped to at least $10/hr with the option of $14-15/hr for those who decline health insurance coverage. The workload is not going to decrease but with experience you will work more efficiently.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Newcomers to our forum may be annoying to those of you that know how things work around here. Newbies are often interested in topics that have already been discussed a million times or they ask the wrong questions, including ones that seem obvious (or whose answers seem easy to find). They don't know how to use the forum properly and sometimes they even start multiple threads with the same content because they don't know how irritating that is...

Just keep in mind that lots of our valued contributors started out this way, and treating newcomers kindly makes them more likely to turn into the valuable community members we all know and love.

So while you don't have to humor them or suffer them gladly please cut them some slack when they mess up.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
So, let's see if I understand this correctly. (no offense to anyone intended, but.....) We have a person who never worked for anything and appears to be in need of some quality time with my lovely elliptical accusing others of being self-indulgent and lazy?

Yeah. O-kay.
Yup a Mr. Casey she is not.
Probably make a good sup LOL

Notcool

I am tired of hearing people say is generation doesn't want to work. Thats bs. Seems to me people do not understand simple economics. The pay rate hasn't changed but inflation and cost of living has soared. Old timers that started 20 years ago were paid alot more than us ptimers of today. People don't only work here for the insurance either. I need cash. I work two jobs by the time I get to ups I am dead tired drivers greed want it all for themselves

menotyou

bella amicizia
Have a step(not really) daughter who's husband was raised on welfare. He thinks it's better to keep the hand out(food stamps, medicaid, welfare) rather than get a job. He has no disability. He is not stupid. He is lazy. That is just one example in an example-riddled county that I live in. That is what I see. Sorry, if it is an inaccurate portrayal, but it is what I see every where I look.

People think I am an idiot to want to go back to work, instead of taking the settlement and going on SS. More of what I see. Sorry. But, it does appear people would rather get a free check than work for a living.

Granted, the pay sucks for pt'ers. Sucks the big wazoo. But, it leads to a career. What does McDonalds get you besides a free Big Mac?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The one thing I remember thru the interview process was it was as if they were talking me out of a job. All I heard was how hard the work was and that I wouldn't make very much at all.
I agree with this, and it is only our personal experiences.
The hiring person in HR fully explained the job is rough, physical, dirty and you don't make much. I would be surprised if it were different in other areas, but at the same time I have heard pretty much everything on this site, so someone else might have been told it was a cakewalk! :D

Where he won me over was (a) I was unemployed out of school and (b) the opportunity to attain a better job/career within the company.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I am tired of hearing people say is generation doesn't want to work. Thats bs. Seems to me people do not understand simple economics. The pay rate hasn't changed but inflation and cost of living has soared. Old timers that started 20 years ago were paid alot more than us ptimers of today. People don't only work here for the insurance either. I need cash. I work two jobs by the time I get to ups I am dead tired drivers greed want it all for themselves
drivers greed huh,,,, if you think ANYTHING about loading or unloading is hard you will never make it as a driver,, never, its a weeding out process,, you should quit now