I work part time and pay sucks

worldwide

I just started working for UPS as a preloader part-time and man does the pay really suck. It takes me only 10 minutes to get to work but I have to cross the bridge and just the toll charge is $5.00. and I am only getting $9.50/hr. This is so sad. more than half amn hour goes to crossing the bridge. It seems like UPS starts out people part time because the Local Teamster Union does not care much for them. What I really ask for in their new contract is pay their part timers way more or lessen the work load. I have to load 3 trucks and it is only my second week. It really seems like I am not being fairly compensated for what I do. I read in 1997 they ware getting $8.50 an hour when gas was way underr $2.00/gallon and now 15 years later it is only $1 more and gas is more than $4/gallon. we need to do the math and see what is wrong here.

You knew the cost to get to work and you knew what you would be paid. Why did you accept this job given all the negatives attached with it?

Why did you leave a higher paying job that required less work?

Norma

The one thing I will not complain about is the pay rate (for myself). I worked briefly under the pre 1982 pay rate. I then started under the present pay rate several years later. I almost cried one day 20 something years ago when the bank teller gave me all $10's for my paycheck. Now I make $28+ per hour in preload. Some people take a short term view, others take a long term view.

It does suck buddy. Don't let people discourage you, you are entitled to gripe and vent. Eight yrs ago I started and I am still PT. Maybe I'll get to go to driving school before peak, I believe it when I see it. It does pay off though, $16.50 now & doing the porter gig. Once I drive sat/airs and cover, it will get sweetER....keep your head up and get involved with your local once you make book if you decide to stick around.

Justaname

Have a step(not really) daughter who's husband was raised on welfare. He thinks it's better to keep the hand out(food stamps, medicaid, welfare) rather than get a job. He has no disability. He is not stupid. He is lazy. That is just one example in an example-riddled county that I live in. That is what I see. Sorry, if it is an inaccurate portrayal, but it is what I see every where I look.

People think I am an idiot to want to go back to work, instead of taking the settlement and going on SS. More of what I see. Sorry. But, it does appear people would rather get a free check than work for a living.

Granted, the pay sucks for pt'ers. Sucks the big wazoo. But, it leads to a career. What does McDonalds get you besides a free Big Mac?
Hopefully a mcflurry

Notcool

drivers greed huh,,,, if you think ANYTHING about loading or unloading is hard you will never make it as a driver,, never, its a weeding out process,, you should quit now
quit loading after 7 years I think I can handle it. How long did you load? and how long ago? Loading its hard the pay makes it hard.

Justaname

drivers greed huh,,,, if you think ANYTHING about loading or unloading is hard you will never make it as a driver,, never, its a weeding out process,, you should quit now
Some guys can load trucks but not drive. Some guys can drive but can't load for crap. Some can do both. Personally I think delivering them is easier than loading them. Not everybody's the same. Don't get me wrong driving was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be, and I can see why it's not fit for everyone.

UPSGUY72

I just started working for UPS as a preloader part-time and man does the pay really suck. It takes me only 10 minutes to get to work but I have to cross the bridge and just the toll charge is $5.00. and I am only getting $9.50/hr. This is so sad. more than half amn hour goes to crossing the bridge. It seems like UPS starts out people part time because the Local Teamster Union does not care much for them. What I really ask for in their new contract is pay their part timers way more or lessen the work load. I have to load 3 trucks and it is only my second week. It really seems like I am not being fairly compensated for what I do. I read in 1997 they ware getting $8.50 an hour when gas was way underr $2.00/gallon and now 15 years later it is only $1 more and gas is more than $4/gallon. we need to do the math and see what is wrong here.

Part time jobs are not designed for you to live comfortably.. Go get another job be that a FT one to go along with the PT one you have at UPS... Or you can always take the easy road out and quit.....

rocket man

Re: Dumb

No wonder why the union don't care about part time nobody speaks up
2 weeks in id have to say you steped over the line shut the (friend) up and get off this site stay on your side of the bridge and your talking (shhhhhhhh) you dont have your 30 days i like to see everyone make it but you i hope you dont.