Idalia good or bad for Florida ?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Please beware that if you think your insurance rates are to high, wait until this hurricane season ends.
They will be going sky high again.
Some already have ended their insurance since they can't afford it.
More will follow as the rates increase.

oldngray

nowhere special
Please beware that if you think your insurance rates are to high, wait until this hurricane season ends.
They will be going sky high again.
Some already have ended their insurance since they can't afford it.
More will follow as the rates increase.
Flood insurance won't cover hurricanes either.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Flood insurance won't cover hurricanes either.
I lost a beach house in Galveston many years ago to a hurricane. Flood insurance carrier will say the wind knocked it down. Wind insurance will say the flood washed it away. My house was 8' off the ground. The storm surge (based on the weed line left on the telephone pole in front of my house) was about 12' off the ground. Nobody was around to say which one of the two knocked it down.

newolddude

I lost a beach house in Galveston many years ago to a hurricane. Flood insurance carrier will say the wind knocked it down. Wind insurance will say the flood washed it away. My house was 8' off the ground. The storm surge (based on the weed line left on the telephone pole in front of my house) was about 12' off the ground. Nobody was around to say which one of the two knocked it down.
A friend lost her beach house over in Crystal Beach in Ike. IIRC hers was 5 or 6 foot up. She had it rebuilt on 18 foot concrete piers

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
A friend lost her beach house over in Crystal Beach in Ike. IIRC hers was 5 or 6 foot up. She had it rebuilt on 18 foot concrete piers
My house was actually about 5 miles from Crystal Beach to the east in Gilchrist. It was built in the late 50's or early 60's. New minimum building regulations now require 12-14' off the ground.