if Brown ruined Xmas, was this the Valentine's day massacre??

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Who really cares about PPH? Sups have been squawking for years every time peak is over about PPH....never been written up for it. Are you talking about loading trailers or PC's? I can't speak for trailers but there no reason for loading an open or damaged package in a PC, other than sheer laziness.
Trailers and rail cars for me.

What did you end up doing with the package? Did you stop the movement right there or did you throw it in to the trailer and let the destination center deal with it?
That was one that I took out of the trailer, scooped up the hundreds of 3-4" fender washers off the ground as best I could and set everything aside at the belt station. At the end of the night I wrapped it like a mummy and put it in the trailer.

That's because it disintegrated in my hands. Beat up packages with flaps hanging open, etc. get loaded in my walls all day, every day.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
You can disagree with my post all you want, I'm just telling you how it is. There's 200 other loaders in my shift doing it exactly the same way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can disagree with my post all you want, I'm just telling you how it is. There's 200 other loaders in my shift doing it exactly the same way.

Most everyone here knows that I never worked one day on the inside so I have no idea what you guys/gals go through, especially in the hubs. I do know that I tell my pickup customers not to put the word "Fragile" anywhere on the package as I know how it will get treated along the way.

When you are doing 600 PPH there is no way to catch each and every package which will most likely not make it through the system in one piece.

As a driver I am the last line of defense against delivering damaged packages. I have one stop in particular (Walmart) where it seems that the physical condition of the packages I deliver keeps getting worse each year. The former receiving clerk used to bitch all the time about it and it was very hard for me to disagree with her.

Would raising the starting pay to $10/hr or higher help to reduce the number of damaged packages that make it on to the pkg cars?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Most everyone here knows that I never worked one day on the inside so I have no idea what you guys/gals go through, especially in the hubs. I do know that I tell my pickup customers not to put the word "Fragile" anywhere on the package as I know how it will get treated along the way.

When you are doing 600 PPH there is no way to catch each and every package which will most likely not make it through the system in one piece.

As a driver I am the last line of defense against delivering damaged packages. I have one stop in particular (Walmart) where it seems that the physical condition of the packages I deliver keeps getting worse each year. The former receiving clerk used to bitch all the time about it and it was very hard for me to disagree with her.

Would raising the starting pay to $10/hr or higher help to reduce the number of damaged packages that make it on to the pkg cars?
No, I don't think so. Better training is needed. I don't perform aspects of my job any differently making almost $20/hr than I did when I was a new hire making less than 10/hr.

Pkgcar1988

The first sentence of this quote is something that I didn't know and now that I do it explains a lot about you!!!!lol

Rainman

Its all good.
Us preloaders don't see the customer side of things too much.....the only example would be management's insistence that we load damaged packages. That pisses me off....I'm not loading some mangled POS box for a driver to deliver....just because you wrap it up like a football with tape doesn't mean the customer isn't going to flip out with they receive it.
Those are the kind of deliveries where we quietly sneak up on the house,set the package down, and the run for the truck before the customer comes out. Shouldn't have to deliver it, but don't want to catch the brunt of their anger either.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Who really cares about PPH? Sups have been squawking for years every time peak is over about PPH....never been written up for it.

In my building, management began writing up people for PPH beginning in 2009 -- but only those whose performance is well-below the building average, or those whose performance has cooled off. I've never seen a termination stick purely for production -- usually they agree to move the employees around -- but I have seen it for downhill performance (e.g. somebody use to unload at a rate of 1000 PPH but is now down to 500 PPH a year later; "delay of load."). And if your performance is really poor, they'll find something to get you on. Compare that to the first decade of my career where they almost never fired a PTer.

So yes, it does happen.