if Brown ruined Xmas, was this the Valentine's day massacre??

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Those are the kind of deliveries where we quietly sneak up on the house,set the package down, and the run for the truck before the customer comes out. Shouldn't have to deliver it, but don't want to catch the brunt of their anger either.

Sent using BrownCafe App
i had a 140 pound box i delivered earlier and hit doorbell and ran like hell lol.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Most everyone here knows that I never worked one day on the inside so I have no idea what you guys/gals go through, especially in the hubs. I do know that I tell my pickup customers not to put the word "Fragile" anywhere on the package as I know how it will get treated along the way.
I've heard that before too and it's a bunch of bull. 99% of the packages I see say fragile. Do you think there's some loader who takes offense to 99% of his wall and beats them all up along the way? He'd be impossibly slow. Nobody reads the package or cares what it says. Same for orientation arrows.

Would raising the starting pay to $10/hr or higher help to reduce the number of damaged packages that make it on to the pkg cars?
UPS being more selective of who they hire would. But there's 400 in my shift alone, that's kinda hard to fill if you're only hiring Future Leaders of America. I'd say it's both. I'll tell you I've never been hired at a job easier than the one I took at UPS. The hiring manager spoke as if my being hired was just a given that comes with the interview. Making it so that "Not a convicted felon" isn't the only requirement to be hired here would probably help. But higher calibre employees are more attracted to higher calibre wages. They go hand in hand.

No, I don't think so. Better training is needed. I don't perform aspects of my job any differently making almost $20/hr than I did when I was a new hire making less than 10/hr.
Training is a joke in the hub. Trainers are seen as yuppies who needed that heated/cooled office. And those who can't handle the physicality of the work are said to be Training/Management material. First thing my coworkers said when I was a new-hire is "forget what they just taught you in training, it's all bull:censored2: and you won't need it." and my hip-to-hip guy told me "I'm here to teach you how to bend the rules, not break them."

I tend to sit right around 320-340 PPH every night, which is faster than most but I'm in the heavy trailer so I never have to wait for a package or go push flow, the sups largely leave me alone and pull others from their trailers instead. I know that if I removed every damage from the trailer, took every missort to it's proper location (instead of just yelling "missort" and throwing it out of the trailer for a floor guy to grab), and used my load stand every single time, I would drop well into the mid-high 200's. However, as my sup loves to inform us every day. 300 is what is expected of us. Also, my trailer would be backed up for days. Which has an obvious negative effect on my night and when I can go home.

In training they tell you that they care about Safety, Quality, Performance. In that order. In reality, it's the other way around.

Last edited:

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
In my building, management began writing up people for PPH beginning in 2009 -- but only those whose performance is well-below the building average, or those whose performance has cooled off. I've never seen a termination stick purely for production -- usually they agree to move the employees around -- but I have seen it for downhill performance (e.g. somebody use to unload at a rate of 1000 PPH but is now down to 500 PPH a year later; "delay of load."). And if your performance is really poor, they'll find something to get you on. Compare that to the first decade of my career where they almost never fired a PTer.

So yes, it does happen.
They don't fire anybody, they just punish you by moving you to the :censored2:ty belts. Also, the fastest guy on my belt loads 450, where the hell does this loading messiah who loads 1000 work?

Pkgcar1988

Few snide remarks but no one was really upset. Delivered some today and one customer said they were replacements for the ones I delivered yesterday as they were all but dead,lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
UPS_Delivery.jpeg

Now you see it...now you don't! Thanks magical ups guy...lol