If it passes. I have a question.

Slug Life

When do we eat?
Your guess is as good as anyone’s.

The millennials don’t seem to like RPCD working conditions so I can’t see them being happy about being 22.4. Then again there are people out there who will do the 22.4 from all age groups, they’re out there. Just look at FedEx ground, they get worse pay and benefits and they seem to be making it work.
To be fair those FedEx ground guys usually live with Mom and Gramdma still.
They don’t have to pay rent so they can live off the peanuts they get from FedEx.
Also have you ever seen the inside of a FedEx truck before 10:00 am? Looks like a UPS truck around 18:00.
I don’t think the average FedEx droog would take a month’s worth of UPS bottom coverage guy beatings just saying.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What makes you guys sure they're going to not be working inside? Fear of the unknown doesn't constitute a reason to believe anything. It's just paranoia.

We are talking about the contract that will be governing our working conditions for 5 years. It makes sense to question anything that is unclear. We hash it out here, we can take our issues up with our locals. We'll only get a couple weeks to hash out the supplements before the vote.

If you trust that the negotiators have gotten us the best deal they could, then vote yes. Then, when you get bit by the unforeseen consequences of poorly written language, just remember to not come back here and complain about it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Read the contract and supplements then ask questions. The more you know the better.I look to my local leaders i elected for information.There is a lot of miss information out there, then you can make the best informed decision.

Do Miss Information and Miss Load know each other?

The Western is out already. Since Tuesday.
No word on inside/outside work... So the worst case scenerio still stands: why run an 8 hour route if it is more economical to skip the preload guff and run an 11+ route.
The western has been out longer than just 3 days. The language will be in your JC. I know 4 buildings that are using drivers to preload @ $55 an hour. I’ll bet they will continue this just to run those 11 hour routes.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Why does everyone assume it's going to suck being a 22.4? Being a regular driver sucks. Crappy load quality, being sent back out after dark, fighting through irregs all day... bulked out from floor to ceiling.

They can't do that to 22.4 drivers. I'll tell you why. It's simple. They can't put more than 8 hours in your load because 8 hours plus 5 in preload is too close to 14 hours. They're going to have to load you up with 4-8 max.

I've been an air driver consistently covering ground work for more than a year due to a local driver shortage. The work will be the same. Bulk, cleanup, or an 8 hour planned route minus a couple shelves.
You guys get sent back out? Our supplement states that they cannot send us back out after one tour of duty considering the shift is 10 hours or more.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why does everyone assume it's going to suck being a 22.4? Being a regular driver sucks. Crappy load quality, being sent back out after dark, fighting through irregs all day... bulked out from floor to ceiling.

They can't do that to 22.4 drivers. I'll tell you why. It's simple. They can't put more than 8 hours in your load because 8 hours plus 5 in preload is too close to 14 hours. They're going to have to load you up with 4-8 max.

I've been an air driver consistently covering ground work for more than a year due to a local driver shortage. The work will be the same. Bulk, cleanup, or an 8 hour planned route minus a couple shelves.
You’re dreaming champ....

You guys get sent back out? Our supplement states that they cannot send us back out after one tour of duty considering the shift is 10 hours or more.
Define “sent back out”. Is that strictly leaving the building a second time, or just helping? I recall very few times having to help after 10 hours and never left the building a second time after 10 hours.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Define “sent back out”. Is that strictly leaving the building a second time, or just helping? I recall very few times having to help after 10 hours and never left the building a second time after 10 hours.
If you do 10 hours, they can’t send you back out a second time or to help or to do an air meet or anything. Are you in the NE Supplement?

If you do 10 hours, they can’t send you back out a second time or to help or to do an air meet or anything. Are you in the NE Supplement?
I’m not in NE. I was just wondering what “sent back out” meant. I’ve only helped maybe 20 times after 10 hrs. Mostly during peak. Not a huge issue here.

There is nothing in the 12 paragraphs of article 22, section 4 that states that the have to do split shift... They can put them in the hub all day or put them on the road all day... Unless the supplement says different... That’s it!

542thruNthru

There is nothing in the 12 paragraphs of article 22, section 4 that states that the have to do split shift... They can put them in the hub all day or put them on the road all day... Unless the supplement says different... That’s it!

You're absolutely right. Though what would you say is more likely. A lower paid employee replacing a higher paid employee or the opposite?

You're absolutely right. Though what would you say is more likely. A lower paid employee replacing a higher paid employee or the opposite?
Not sure... A lot of unknowns. I think a lot of local reps don’t like the language in some sections of the master but will not speak their minds out loud for the reason of being looked at bad by IBT! Even if they can change supplemental language to supersede the master, it still puts a lot of pressure on local officials to put together language in a short amount of time... Even when IBT is jamming this down everyone’s throats. Also kicking local officials off NNC for speaking their minds.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Almost every new change that was proposed has language you can drive a semi truck through....and other changes are so minor it’s ridiculous that the union had to fight for days for a minor change that really won’t benefit anyone...