If it passes. I have a question.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Not sure... A lot of unknowns. I think a lot of local reps don’t like the language in some sections of the master but will not speak their minds out loud for the reason of being looked at bad by IBT! Even if they can change supplemental language to supersede the master, it still puts a lot of pressure on local officials to put together language in a short amount of time... Even when IBT is jamming this down everyone’s throats. Also kicking local officials off NNC for speaking their minds.
Why the hell would they care??? Hoffa will be out soon and the members won’t forget what’s going on with them pushing this thing so hard

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Let’s say this contract passes, the company hires a bunch of 22.4’s. Then they all quit because of the crappy work conditions for lesser pay and lack of protection.

Meanwhile everyone else sees how ragged they work them and no one else signs up.

I understand rcpd’s would have to fill the void, but at least everyone one would have equal rights. I know it would never happen.

So my question is...Would they hire more cover drivers to fill the void?

If the Company is not able to fill the positions from the inside, they will be allowed to hire from the street.

ACmoses

UPS does not follow our existing contract nor do they even follow the federal labor laws unless forced through a lawsuit with punitive (financial) damages. Contracts are only as good as the entities signing them. As far as economics, everything is based upon"What the market will bear." Everyone is replaceable, including the CEO of UPS and every other company who is ran by the non-founder. I'm sure that there is a sharp well qualified 35-40 year old that would gladly accept the CEO position at UPS for a mere 5 million a year. Greedism is the unseen force that is ruining the US economy. Greed happens at all levels from social welfare to corporate welfare. Most people don't realize that there are 2 economies, "The economy" and your economy. The real question is, which one is your control?

specter208

The Western is out already. Since Tuesday.
No word on inside/outside work... So the worst case scenerio still stands: why run an 8 hour route if it is more economical to skip the preload guff and run an 11+ route.
Can you share a link to see the western supplement please! Thank you.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm sure that there is a sharp well qualified 35-40 year old that would gladly accept the CEO position at UPS for a mere 5 million a year.

Ok, you don't have to twist my arm, I accept. But since I'll be making 2 mill less then Abney, I'll need full access to all corporate jets, 24/7, and I'll still need the 50k stipend to pay someone to manage my money for me. Boy, I see a bright future for this company, a bright future...

ACmoses

Ok, you don't have to twist my arm, I accept. But since I'll be making 2 mill less then Abney, I'll need full access to all corporate jets, 24/7, and I'll still need the 50k stipend to pay someone to manage my money for me. Boy, I see a bright future for this company, a bright future...
That's funny! The 5 mil figure was 50% less than his total compensation. When I first started with UPS (30 years ago) the average CEO was earning 30 to 50 times the average employee in their company. Now thanks to greedism the average CEO is compensated 300 to 400 times the average employee. Its called trickle up economics!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That's funny! The 5 mil figure was 50% less than his total compensation. When I first started with UPS (30 years ago) the average CEO was earning 30 to 50 times the average employee in their company. Now thanks to greedism the average CEO is compensated 300 to 400 times the average employee. Its called trickle up economics!

I thought I'd read somewhere that he made 7 mill a year. Whoops. I agree that something needs to change with corporate structure. We can start by eliminating their personhood.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Why does everyone assume it's going to suck being a 22.4? Being a regular driver sucks. Crappy load quality, being sent back out after dark, fighting through irregs all day... bulked out from floor to ceiling.

They can't do that to 22.4 drivers. I'll tell you why. It's simple. They can't put more than 8 hours in your load because 8 hours plus 5 in preload is too close to 14 hours. They're going to have to load you up with 4-8 max.

I've been an air driver consistently covering ground work for more than a year due to a local driver shortage. The work will be the same. Bulk, cleanup, or an 8 hour planned route minus a couple shelves.
They’re never going to work inside because there won’t be “work available” the full timers don’t even have 8 hour guaranteed anymore. They’re gonna get slammed 12-14 hours a day make a third less then on Monday and Tuesday the full timers are going to get laid off for lack of volume. The company bankrolls savings everywhere. Who cares about turnover now. The value of the position has been demoted and devalued.

PizzaToUps

Your guess is as good as anyone’s.

The millennials don’t seem to like RPCD working conditions so I can’t see them being happy about being 22.4. Then again there are people out there who will do the 22.4 from all age groups, they’re out there. Just look at FedEx ground, they get worse pay and benefits and they seem to be making it work.

FedEx drivers get paid less because they have less work than a typical UPS driver and are not under as much stress. I know a fedex driver who only gets 100 stops a day and he’s Always off work by 5 PM. Ups forces me to work 10-12 hours every day. If I finish my route early, I have to go back out and help a driver out that was dispatched with 13 hours of work.