if u want to quit the ups?

smf0605

I know for a fact that it is illegal for a previous employer to give a bad recommendation. Positive is of course ok, and they can refuse to comment or not give one, but they cannot say anything bad about you. I took several classes on industrial and/or organizational psychology when I was in college, and we went over this very point when we were covering human resources and the hiring process. This was in at least two of those classes. I'm not sure of the exact law or act, but yeah, it's on the books.

Besides, if you leave a job on bad terms, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to list them as a reference anyway. Normally you can decline to have a potential employer contact a previous employer, while still listing the job as experience. All it takes on your part is a little explaining to the interviewer as to why you said no.

I thought I would NEVER come back to UPS after I worked there during college. Regardless, I gave them notice well ahead of time that I was leaving, and worked my ass off up until and including my last day on the job. Low and behold, 18 months later I found myself looking for a steady job with benefits, and I was back interviewing at UPS, this time in my hometown. Suprisingly, I had an "ok to rehire" status, which the HR person told me was a rarity. In any case, I think you should always act professionally and not burn bridges when you decide to change employment. You never know when you may want that positive recommendation...or your old job back.

You may have taken psychology courses, but you apparently did not take employment law courses. It is not illegal to for a previous employer to tell the truth.

MrUPSguY

Red Headed Step Child
I would give my two weeks notice. Back in 1997 I did quit my job as a night sorter, and gave 2 weeks notice. Since I left with a great reputation, I was able to get my job as a night sorter back. After 2 more years of night sorting, truck washing, and clerking, I finally got my chance at being a driver. Been a driver for 7 years now and loving it.

HazMatMan

I think your advice was a little short sighted here. While you may find it enjoyable if kenmei sticks it to the man by leaving without notice its only going to hurt kenmei somewhere down the road when he needs ups for a job reference.

Could UPS tell the next job that the employee did not give 2 weeks notice prior to quitting????

HazMatMan

I would give my two weeks notice. Back in 1997 I did quit my job as a night sorter, and gave 2 weeks notice. Since I left with a great reputation, I was able to get my job as a night sorter back. After 2 more years of night sorting, truck washing, and clerking, I finally got my chance at being a driver. Been a driver for 7 years now and loving it.

Good example of "not burning your bridges."

Phil800101

You may have taken psychology courses, but you apparently did not take employment law courses. It is not illegal to for a previous employer to tell the truth.

You're right, it's not illegal for them to tell the truth. It is illegal for them to give a negative recommendation though. There is a difference. Essentially, they could say that you were terminated, or that you quit, but they can't list your faults, wrongdoings, or shortcomings on the job. You could have had a horrible attendance record, and been completely incompetent, but they can't say anything other than "no comment."

FYI- Organizational psych courses deal heavily with employment law, as organizational psychology is essentially human resources. We covered employment law all the time.

atatbl

uhhh.... Yes, it is. At least when "the truth" is negative (which it would be in this case assuredly). And FYI that is federal mandate, so don't try to cover your inaccuracy by saying it is legal in your state. Please refrain from giving out information on something you clearly know nothing about.

helenofcalifornia

Everybody is off on some legalese tangent. LOL Kenmei wants to know how to quit and I think we should ALL help him in this endeavor. I like Brownroadsters method of just clocking in, leaving, and then coming back after an hour and punching out. LOL That would work Kenmei. I don't know how long it would take management to figure it out, but, try it and get back to us. Good Luck!!! LOL Go for it! Best Buy job in your future. I hear that they give discounts to employees on the video games. LOL!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I like Brownroadsters method of just clocking in, leaving, and then coming back after an hour and punching out. LOL

When I working in Illinois, somebody actually did come in, clock in and 'slide out.' They got away with it for an hour before the part-time supe couldn't find them. Within 10 minutes, the full-timer sicced security on it. Half an hour later, the person was found at the diner across the street. The person never even came back in the building :happy2:. -Rocky

brownrodster

I've heard of people doing that. In certain jobs in the hub you wouldn't be missed. Just have someone say that your in the bathroom if asked. LOL. I wouldn't do this of course but I would love to witness it.

old levi's

blank space
When people would say,"Boy I wish I had your job, you have it made"

That's when I tell them how the first 13 years were part time on the preload with a full time job during the day. The next 10 years were swing driving. And now as as an old man I finally have a bid route. After hearing that, most of them say " What? ".

upsdude

When people would say,"Boy I wish I had your job, you have it made"

That's when I tell them how the first 13 years were part time on the preload with a full time job during the day. The next 10 years were swing driving. And now as as an old man I finally have a bid route. After hearing that, most of them say " What? ".

Most of the time I tell them we move at a pace they’re probably not familiar with.

upsgrunt

I've found that most of the people that say this are the ones that watch you grab a Penneys bag and walk to a house and then stroll back to the package car. They never see the 20 cartons of paper you have to hump up 2 flights of stairs, or the Select Comfort Bed that you have to fight, wrestle, and move 4 times in 6 hours BEFORE you deliver it.:anxious:

kenmei

Everybody is off on some legalese tangent. LOL Kenmei wants to know how to quit and I think we should ALL help him in this endeavor. I like Brownroadsters method of just clocking in, leaving, and then coming back after an hour and punching out. LOL That would work Kenmei. I don't know how long it would take management to figure it out, but, try it and get back to us. Good Luck!!! LOL Go for it! Best Buy job in your future. I hear that they give discounts to employees on the video games. LOL!
lol it was really a good way to get fire .im sure when u leave and come back the first word management will say is "u r fire"

N

nice try tieguy

When the person who calls UPS about your previous employment finally gets through, they will get some HR flunkie who never heard of you and most likely isn't in your home state. "We can only verify that such and such worked here from May 19xx to January 2008 in the position of Driver" Etc. (called them myself and posed as a potential employer) No tone, no nasty asides. No HR department with any sense would say anything more. Think about it: what would UPS care about where you go after you leave Big Brown? Would a little 'revenge' be worth the potential $$$$ lawsuit? Anyone could call and pose as a big name employer looking for a recommendation and record the conversation, then the lawyers would have a field day.

Your supervisors and managers may have power to fire you under specific and difficult circumstances, but if you noticed they had nothing to do with your firing and can't control how you quit. Really they have no power at all. YOU control the workplace, YOU being yourself and your Union Brothers standing together. YOU control the operation's success. YOU can remove the management that torment you by activing collectively. YOU have them shaking in their boots when you show solidarity.
Stand Up My Brothers!

I say quit when you feel like it. Until there is a two week notice for firing you, there isn't a two week notice for quitting. Tell them at the end of your shift, tell them by phone, take the load out if you are pissed, walk off if you've had enough and let them know why. But if you really want to get to them, stay till the supervisor who pisses you off gets walked out after you tank his numbers every day. Many a cross was posted outside my building...

Many potential employers have found ways around that process. They have you sign an authorization form allowing them to ask you specific detailed questions. Federal government may send interviewers or even the FBI around to interview former employers and neighbors.

When I hired and did phone interviews I could find out a lot just by the tone of the person I called. If they sounded disinterested or hemmed and hawwed when I asked the questions then I was suspicious. Phone references tended to offer positive feedback without being asked if the former employee left on good terms.

If the former employer did not offer postive feeback or the employee did not offer letters of recommendation then I tended to move them down the list.

I've never went on a job interview where I had to sign any type of authorization. Maybe government jobs or jobs which require security clearances might have those type of procedures, but not a typical job interview.

When I left UPS, I was given a phone # for employment verification. The phone # is an outsourced company that provides the employment verification service for UPS. So there is no way they can provide anything other that dates of employment and positions held. I was also told that UPS does not issue letters of recommendation.

Even if I wanted to put down a direct # to my old boss, chances are that person moved or the number changed or whatever.

My point is, you could probably quit in the worst possible way and no prospective employer would ever find out about it. Given the circumstances above, HOW would they find out? The only way would be if you told them yourself because a prospective employer will want to know why you left.

HazMatMan

Gee, I always wonder what I would do if I ever hit the lotto, I mean enough where my kids kids wouldn't have to worry about money... Maybe a week of no-calls no-shows and then wait for the telegram and then report back to work and do nothing, just sit there...

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I've never went on a job interview where I had to sign any type of authorization. Maybe government jobs or jobs which require security clearances might have those type of procedures, but not a typical job interview.

I've never gone to the job-interview step with this. However I have had to sign disclosure forms. And yes, they were for government jobs. The one I'm thinking of most prominently was a job I applied for in New Mexico just a couple weeks ago. As far as I can recall, the place I'm working now (also government) did not require disclosure forms. The New Mexico job is local government, the one I have right now is federal.

When I left UPS, I was given a phone # for employment verification.

Really? Could you PM me that number? I'm applying for a bunch of jobs now for post-graduation. I've been giving the Human Resources number for the Hub but an employment verification number would probably be preferable. If you try to publicly post the number, Cheryl and/or her incredible mods will delete it, which is why I suggest PM. -Rocky

currahee

If i hit the lottery Ill come into work like any other day. Ill leave building, but i doing my route in my ups hat and brown thong with a little UPS shield on it.Oh and shoes i hate to have a slip anf fall!!
I been thinking about that for a while.I Have got 22 years left thanks to the teamsters raising the retirement age to 57. So one can only dream

HazMatMan

If i hit the lottery Ill come into work like any other day. Ill leave building, but i doing my route in my ups hat and brown thong with a little UPS shield on it.Oh and shoes i hate to have a slip anf fall!!
I been thinking about that for a while.I Have got 22 years left thanks to the teamsters raising the retirement age to 57. So one can only dream

When did they raise the age to 57???