If you don't have 30 friend/T years by 2023. READ THIS

Tony Q

That is why I was complaining about the accrual method of calculating the pension. No increase in that, and has only gone up $5/year in these 2 contracts(this one, and the previous).
It is still a very good number for the accrued. With the way pension funds are failing how can anyone complain about your pension fund and how well it's funded.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Take the early retirement and invest it. After 5 years the returns on the principal you've accumulated could get close to making up the monthly difference.

Of course you would need to have enough personal savings to live off of to not need the pension, I know a lot of people can't seem to manage that for whatever reason.

I'm out at 57 if I get the chance.
I’ll be 53 when I hit my 30, which is my limit. 25 might be too tempting however, but if the trend is bumping the 30, I might try the “safety committee” tactic and work the bare min my last 5.

Tony Q

I actually agree with you here.

I also think the minimum hours for pension credits should be raised.
For the accrued or the service. There is none for the service in some areas. It only entails working in 40 calendar weeks. What would you like it to be?

Box Ox

At 200+ stops a day, 330+ pieces delivered a day, 100+ pieces picked up a day, all in 11 hours very, very few will make it to 30 years.

Pssssh, modern workload excuses! @Been In Brown Too Long told me last night that the old timers had it worse! We're just being sissies!

See post # 12 here:

"You only like to think you have it worse now. Old days...on the route cold, here's a pad of 50 liners, keys, go! No idea what's in your truck, and where. Getting lost was as bad then as it is now, we just figured it out. Today, everything is in your DIAD, you have gps in your phone, package cars all automatic, power steering, power brakes, much lower steps, keyless fob, etc."

Quitcher whining, ya big babies! We've got it much easier! I think @rod would agree too!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
For the accrued or the service. There is none for the service in some areas. It only entails working in 40 calendar weeks. What would you like it to be?
Accrued, we have far too many guys who will be getting a full benefit, when they take 3 dead days off a week sometimes. It encourages UPS to cut routes, and force overtime, which after 8 gets no pension contribution. By forcing guys to achieve a higher level of reports, you make them decide to work to contribute or they lose their contribution and it goes towards the helping shore up the funds for guys who are working.

Our service credits are 1801, that’s easily met with guys taking 2 dead days off a week.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I’ll be 53 when I hit my 30, which is my limit. 25 might be too tempting however, but if the trend is bumping the 30, I might try the “safety committee” tactic and work the bare min my last 5.
Ya I guess if they make a habit of screwing the 25 and only boosting the 30 it could be a bad choice.

I'll have 25 at 57, barely..... Hard to put a price on those 5 years of freedom. I think a lot of the decision will come down to healthcare but I've got a long time to get there so I try not to plan too much and just over save.

Tony Q

Accrued, we have far too many guys who will be getting a full benefit, when they take 3 dead days off a week sometimes. It encourages UPS to cut routes, and force overtime, which after 8 gets no pension contribution. By forcing guys to achieve a higher level of reports, you make them decide to work to contribute or they lose their contribution and it goes towards the helping shore up the funds for guys who are working.

Our service credits are 1801, that’s easily met which guys taking 2 dead days off a week.
I understand the logic, but we have to protect the broken down package car driver. He was destroyed by an 800 for the first 20 years of his career. We have to make it so he can get to the end of the line.

Tony Q

Ya I guess if they make a habit of screwing the 25 and only boosting the 30 it could be a bad choice.

I'll have 25 at 57, barely..... Hard to put a price on those 5 years of freedom. I think a lot of the decision will come down to healthcare but I've got a long time to get there so I try not to plan too much and just over save.
How come you started so late in life at UPS?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I understand the logic, but we have to protect the broken down package car driver. He was destroyed by an 800 for the first 20 years of his career. We have to make it so he can get to the end of the line.
I have 18 in and am far from destroyed. I come to work every day I am scheduled barring any need to call in (read no dead days). I eat decent, don’t do risky behaviors, exercise, and generally take care of myself.

There are younger guys that go home twice a week, on their own, and will receive the same pension I will. Meanwhile, the rest of us get sent out with 12 hour days while the company pays 8 hours of pension credit towards that day.

If guys wanna go home and not demand their 8, then they should also get their pension credits taken away at a higher rate.

I’m not talking about guys out on disability and whatnot, just guys who decide to take dead days all year long and expect to receive the same pension I do.

upschuck

It is still a very good number for the accrued. With the way pension funds are failing how can anyone complain about your pension fund and how well it's funded.
It's a good number now, will it be when the time comes to take advantage of it?

Indecisi0n

This is why a lot of us are voting no on this contract.

25 and out at any age $2,000
25 and 57 years of age $2,500 plus $100 for each year of service
30 and out at any age 3,900 at any age after Jan. 2020
35 and out is $4,300 after Jan.2020.
Anybody that votes yes to this contract is accepting a $1900 dollar discrepancy for 5 years of seniority. If you became a full timer at 21 and retire at 51 you get $3900 with a longer life expectancy than a 57 year old that retires with 25 friend/T years and only gets $2500. Not to mention any friend/T that retires before 57 and only gets $2,000.
So many numbers

Tony Q

It's a good number now, will it be when the time comes to take advantage of it?
I believe it is funded very well. It is way more sustainable than the very well funded Western Conference of Teamsters. Everything could change once Central States goes out of business. The liability is huge.

Tony Q

I have 18 in and am far from destroyed. I come to work every day I am scheduled barring any need to call in (read no dead days). I eat decent, don’t do risky behaviors, exercise, and generally take care of myself.

There are younger guys that go home twice a week, on their own, and will receive the same pension I will. Meanwhile, the rest of us get sent out with 12 hour days while the company pays 8 hours of pension credit towards that day.

If guys wanna go home and not demand their 8, then they should also get their pension credits taken away at a higher rate.

I’m not talking about guys out on disability and whatnot, just guys who decide to take dead days all year long and expect to receive the same pension I do.
The union is here to protect you who sound like a wonderful employee and the ones who take two days off a week. We don't discriminate.

upschuck

I believe it is funded very well. It is way more sustainable than the very well funded Western Conference of Teamsters. Everything could change once Central States goes out of business. The liability is huge.
It is well funded, I for one, am glad they took it over, and wish they would have in 97.

Foamer Pyle

Then tell the Union negotiators that and vote "NO".
What you are suggesting is a huge adjustment to the Financial part of the negotiations/contract.

What do you think the Union should give up (on your behalf) to offset the financial impact?
Didn’t we already give up the triple pay on the day after Thanksgiving? I understand that many people will not agree with what i want, but they still did not address the overweight stuff, and the 9.5 is not addressed. On a good day, i am gone 11 hours, and that is not acceptable. All of the FedEX trucks here have air conditioning, even the ground trucks. Funny, i have a heater that i never turn on. It’s regularly 110 degrees in the truck, and i don’t care how much water you try and consume, you cannot keep up. So when i hear regularly that some poor driver was taken to the hospital for dehydration, the company Blames the employee, and takes no responsibility for working conditions that could only be duplicated in Hell. I am sick of the company blaming employees that get hurt for working conditions that UPS creates. In the summer time no one should be out till 9 and 10pm, yet it happens every day. You can say i am crying or whining, but i have watched crap go down hill for years. Newer employees have no idea how things were 20 plus years ago. If a :censored2: sandwich is all you know, that’s what you will continue to eat.

T dog

This is why a lot of us are voting no on this contract.

25 and out at any age $2,000
25 and 57 years of age $2,500 plus $100 for each year of service
30 and out at any age 3,900 at any age after Jan. 2020
35 and out is $4,300 after Jan.2020.
Anybody that votes yes to this contract is accepting a $1900 dollar discrepancy for 5 years of seniority. If you became a full timer at 21 and retire at 51 you get $3900 with a longer life expectancy than a 57 year old that retires with 25 friend/T years and only gets $2500. Not to mention any friend/T that retires before 57 and only gets $2,000.