Retiree Insurance

Well some of us do, But some only want to acquire possessions and money. The each there own.
Trust me I understand his fear of retirement.

I debate that all the time in my head about when I actually want to leave.
But for once I'll have to listen to My wife.
You said you put your time in you paid everything off and put the kids from college and shortly it'll be our time to go enjoy ourselves.

Johney

I worked with a guy in feeders and he has 40 years in he stays for the insurance for his sick wife. Although he never told us that's why, but why else would he stay? He's over 65 so S.S. isn't an issue,has a ton of money in his 401K. Sound familiar? Maybe someone doesn't want to be home all the time with a sick wife?

I worked with a guy in feeders and he has 40 years in he stays for the insurance for his sick wife. Although he never told us that's why, but why else would he stay? He's over 65 so S.S. isn't an issue,has a ton of money in his 401K. Sound familiar? Maybe someone doesn't want to be home all the time with a sick wife?
Some people just don't want to give it up

I seen it happen many times

Institutionalized.
Remember we had one guy he took it inside job and he had over 45 years with the company. He did not want to retire because his ex-wife was in something small like $300 a month out of his pension, he is waiting for her to die.
He finally retired and I don't think he even lives 6 months after that.
I guess he showed her...

Thebrownblob

Remember we had one guy he took it inside job and he had over 45 years with the company. He did not want to retire because his ex-wife was in something small like $300 a month out of his pension, he is waiting for her to die.
He finally retired and I don't think he even lives 6 months after that.
I guess he showed her...
Wow sad!

Johney

I'm not going to question anyone on how long they want to work here but there is a few people that I have no understanding of why they are still doing this job?

I understand it's a big leap of faith of going from working to not working but I have no desire to work forever, I just want enough to survive on
Right. I guess the guy just has really expensive hobbies. I'm doing no less than when I worked.

rod

Retired 22 years
WELL, if you have a job after retirement....you aren't retired. Why not make $120k ?
I do make over $120k a year now. I didn't when I first retired but I had invested enough and paid off all debt by then so I didn't need tons of money to "make it". If you can't do the same thing in 30-35 years don't blame anyone but yourself. My "retirement jobs' have consisted of (when I felt like it) sitting at home watching TV at night assembling fishing tackle for a friend who owned a tackle manufacturing business. My next one was flying in a little Cessna 172 for 7 1/2 hours a day-4 days a week during the spring and fall "fire season" for the DNR looking for smoke which would lead to a forest fire. Lots of low level roller coaster type of flying which I love. (we also looked for wolves ,deer, bear and girls tanning on the docks on the lakes. ---- I also worked for the Township for 14 years as a "do it when I wanted to handman. Mowing- pushing a little snow- etc. I had only ONE work directive a year that they insisted on being done on time. The Township Cemetery had to be looking good for Memorial day otherwise I worked when I wanted to ( 20 bucks an hour). I "retired" from that job about 4 years ago and actually get a small pension check every month from it.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Wasn't the point. The guy quit UPS @ 49......to do errands for his wife. At a cost of $1400 per month for the rest of his life.

No thanks.
Some things are more important to some people. Mine personally is enjoying time with my family. I seen 3 of my fellow employees pass away within 6 months of retirement. We have a very close family and have many memories of vacations I have been able to take with all my grandchildren every year. No regrets of the decision my wife and I made.

Shiftless

Some things are more important to some people. Mine personally is enjoying time with my family. I seen 3 of my fellow employees pass away within 6 months of retirement. We have a very close family and have many memories of vacations I have been able to take with all my grandchildren every year. No regrets of the decision my wife and I made.
I agree! Seen so many fellow employees die right after retirement and just before. I still Thank a senior driver named Harry to this day for being my mentor in my first year of driving!!!!!!!!!! He taught me two extremely important things!

One: It's their dispatch! Not your problem! Give a 100 percent!

Two: Don't do what Harry did!!!!! When I asked Harry whatcha gonna do when you retire??? He said I'm gonna sit on the
couch ,drink beer and watch football. Harry died 6 months after he retired. I decided at that point whether I stay in this job or not? I better start planning my exit strategy! And, altho Harry didn't see me retire at age 49. He left one heck of a positive mark in my life!

RIP
Harry

Trucker Clock

And so?

I enjoy my life now. Do and have things some people on BC could only dream of....

You want to enjoy your life a "little bit"......

I want to enjoy mine a lot.

These people that retire "early" and then get a job makes very little sense to me.

Don't you want to have more time off so you can enjoy fruits of your labor from all of years you worked here?

That's the one thing you definitely miss with this job is being around your family.

Two: Don't do what Harry did!!!!! When I asked Harry whatcha gonna do when you retire??? He said I'm gonna sit on the
couch ,drink beer and watch football. Harry died 6 months after he retired. I decided at that point whether I stay in this job or not? I better start planning my exit strategy! And, altho Harry didn't see me retire at age 49. He left one heck of a positive mark in my life!

I make $150K per year, spend about 5 hours per day with the wife and kids, have the entire weekend to spend more time with the wife and kids, have basically free medical, 7 weeks of vacation and anything I ever wanted in life. Nice cars, motorcycles, houses, etc. The wife and kids have everything they ever wanted, within reason. They are happy, but not spoiled.

I intend to live my life the way I want to now, and not skimp now just to retire at 55 and "enjoy" retirement. I have everything I want now, and will continue to have when retired. I am putting some money away for retirement, but am also buying what I want now.

I feel like I am retired right now. Granted, I am in feeders. Packages might be a different story.

I make $150K per year, spend about 5 hours per day with the wife and kids, have the entire weekend to spend more time with the wife and kids, have basically free medical, 7 weeks of vacation and anything I ever wanted in life. Nice cars, motorcycles, houses, etc. The wife and kids have everything they ever wanted, within reason. They are happy, but not spoiled.

I intend to live my life the way I want to now, and not skimp now just to retire at 55 and "enjoy" retirement. I have everything I want now, and will continue to have when retired. I am putting some money away for retirement, but am also buying what I want now.

I feel like I am retired right now. Granted, I am in feeders. Packages might be a different story.
Trust me it's much different in package

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
The best advice I can give to anyone about retirement is… If you have any doubt at all about if you are ready to retire the answer is keep working. It doesn’t matter how many years you have been at UPS or even how young or old you are. If for any reason you have a second thought about retiring then you are not ready. As many here has heard before I retired with 39 yrs, 2 months and 1 week. For years I thought about retiring but I always had “something“ that just wasn’t ready. One day I woke up and told the wife “I’m done” From that moment I couldn’t get out of there fast enough. I still can’t believe I will never have to do that job again. There is nothing about that job that I ever long to go back to. I waited to the point that my mind would never want to go back. I was totally done with everything about that job. It didn’t matter my age, years I had in, or money I could make. None of that mattered. For me that was how I knew 100% it was time to retire.