If you were offered a new job with the same pay would you stay?

If offered a new job with the same pay would you stay at UPS

• Yes I would stay

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • No I would Leave

Votes: 48 62.3%
  • Maybe I'm Not Sure

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dragracer66

I'd stay...Too much time invested now I don't want to throw away 18yrs.....but 15yrs earlier I'd be outa here like vladamere!!!!:thumbup1:

Leave or stay

I guess all of you who would leave but stay anyway feel that you could not match your pay or benefits if you left.That COULD be interpreted that you no one else would pay you what UPS does for the amount of talent or hard work that you bring to the table????

Re: Leave or stay

And yes I would stay. Why would anybody stay at a job for 25 or 30 years if they didn't enjoy it (most, not all of the time) Life is short have some fun and put a smile on that face.Life is 20% what happens to you,80% how you take it

satellitedriver

Hi all just left last friday. I took a part time job that makes up the difference between what i make on my pension.

Where will the union let you work and still draw a pension? Under their guidelines you can not work anywhere that would compete with a union job. Glad you made it. Sad that you have to makeup the difference and not be able to live off the pension.

dammor

I guess all of you who would leave but stay anyway feel that you could not match your pay or benefits if you left.That COULD be interpreted that you no one else would pay you what UPS does for the amount of talent or hard work that you bring to the table????

Have you not read a word from the older folks that have been here for 20 to 25+ years? We do not want to find a new job that pays what we get now. We would like to get the retirement pay we have worked so hard for and walk away knowing we can finally pursue the other interests we all have. Talent and hard work? You have just insulted the most hard working people around. As far as talent goes, I guess that depends on what you consider to be a talent. We are not brain surgeons, but we deal with whatever happens to us hour by hour and get it done from morning to night. What we bring to the table is every bit of ourselves. Most companies would appreciate that.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
$50-75k a year......plus benefits for the entire family---plus a pension------and for a company that is financially sound and will be there in 25 years--STAY for sure!!

As for Wornoutupser and the 25 and out------from what I remember UPS was offering that in 97 and would have been a way for UPS to get some control of the pension plans from the Teamsters----too bad...I am still confused about why that was voted that down????

"it's not the company--it's the people that make UPS what it is today"

satellitedriver

I left a better paying job to go to work for UPS. For that better pay, I worked in a coal mine. Rotating shift ,12 hours a day and night. Swinging a 10lb sledge hammer, while 250ft in the air on a dragline boom at 3 o'clock in the morning in 19 degree weather and a 30 mile an hour wind blowing. Or, being in a Hellhole(the best way I know how to describe it) with one man holding your feet and another holding a fire hose to put out the fire while the man holding your feet pulls you out. So, for the last 20 years I have just smiled when other UPSER'S talked about how hard it is to work at UPS. I just have to look at the scars my forearms to know what an easy job I have now. I will stay right her at UPS. If I hit the lottery, then I am out of here.

Have you not read a word from the older folks that have been here for 20 to 25+ years? We do not want to find a new job that pays what we get now. We would like to get the retirement pay we have worked so hard for and walk away knowing we can finally pursue the other interests we all have. Talent and hard work? You have just insulted the most hard working people around. As far as talent goes, I guess that depends on what you consider to be a talent. We are not brain surgeons, but we deal with whatever happens to us hour by hour and get it done from morning to night. What we bring to the table is every bit of ourselves. Most companies would appreciate that.
90% of us work hard ,10% try to get over any which way they can.

satellitedriver

$50-75k a year......plus benefits for the entire family---plus a pension------and for a company that is financially sound and will be there in 25 years--STAY for sure!!

As for Wornoutupser and the 25 and out------from what I remember UPS was offering that in 97 and would have been a way for UPS to get some control of the pension plans from the Teamsters----too bad...I am still confused about why that was voted that down????

"it's not the company--it's the people that make UPS what it is today"

I Agree, 97 spun my head around like Linda Blair spitting out pea soup. I was not confused over the vote ,just convinced. The Teamster Union officials only have their best interest at heart. I still have a copy of what UPS offered and it is a testament to what we as UPS personell lost when the "REAMSTERS" won the strike. 25 and out at any age, lifetime medical coverage for your entire family and a profit sharing check every other year. My union dues now go into a retirement fund. AWPA at least gives me hope that we as UPSERS could have a union only for UPSERS.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Thanks Satellite----I thought it was just me that was still confused from what was offered in 97.

Some interesting thoughts to ponder------Overnite was on a 6-7% 401k match instead of a retirement plan------and I am hearing that Non-Union UPS (management ,as well as administrative inside people) may be changing their retirement plans to be a higher 401k match--INLIEU OF A RETIREMENT!!!I see this as a way that UPS can get away from sponsoring a retirement plan--ESPECIALLY A MOVE AWAY FROM THE TEAMSTERS!! Would you rather have control over your future money and decide how much you want to contribute and where you want to invest it....or have hope that the Teamsters will have your money for you when you are ready to retire???

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
dodptsup--as a P/T Sup..and I am going to assume it is in a hub/pkg center--you are supposed to focus on loading/unloading--getting evryone to clock off to reduce the amount of hours which impact PPH----am I close??

It is unfortunate, but there is another side of UPS where people are allowed to focus on the big picture other than PPH-----competition--UPS Services--finance--Business Development.Have you considered transferring to another dept??? Are you going to school--if so, as soon as you get your degree let someone in HR/BD know and get out of operations----is driving an option for you??

dodptsup

dodptsup--as a P/T Sup..and I am going to assume it is in a hub/pkg center--you are supposed to focus on loading/unloading--getting evryone to clock off to reduce the amount of hours which impact PPH----am I close??

It is unfortunate, but there is another side of UPS where people are allowed to focus on the big picture other than PPH-----competition--UPS Services--finance--Business Development.Have you considered transferring to another dept??? Are you going to school--if so, as soon as you get your degree let someone in HR/BD know and get out of operations----is driving an option for you??

Yep, get em off the clock, even though the friend/T sups blew the dispatch, 3/4 of the drivers arent back till an hour after the sort starts, and I'ts my fault the sort went 5 minutes over. I'm supposed to be able to fix an entire screwed up day, starting with the preload going over, late air blown dispatches, pissed off customes, and everything else in the last 21/2 hrs of the day, give me a break!. And no I dont have a lot of optios due to the crushed disc in my back from unloading one night when noone who was in the bldg all day thought to staff my operation properly. On my feet for more than a few hours and my feet are numb and tingly, and it feels like hot oil is running down the back of my leg. Same if I sit too long too. Time for another Vicodan, and back to work!

trickpony1

Yep, get em off the clock, even though the friend/T sups blew the dispatch, 3/4 of the drivers arent back till an hour after the sort starts, and I'ts my fault the sort went 5 minutes over. I'm supposed to be able to fix an entire screwed up day, starting with the preload going over, late air blown dispatches, pissed off customes, and everything else in the last 21/2 hrs of the day, give me a break!. And no I dont have a lot of optios due to the crushed disc in my back from unloading one night when noone who was in the bldg all day thought to staff my operation properly. On my feet for more than a few hours and my feet are numb and tingly, and it feels like hot oil is running down the back of my leg. Same if I sit too long too. Time for another Vicodan, and back to work!

I am really confused now.
In another thread you comment, to the effect, "apparently my body rejected the brown blood transfusion" and how you, in essence, will buck the system every chance you get but this post seems to suggest that you are willing to sacrifice your body and your future health to the extent that you are taking some powerful drugs so you can hurry back to the trenches and damage your spinal cord a little more.
Did you report the back injury? If you didn't, I would do it now before you seriously, and forever, damage your back.
I realize at your age you think you are bulletproof, we all did or do. I would seriously suggest that you redirect some of this unbridled enthusiasm that you seem to have inward towards yourself and decide where you will be 5, 10, 15 years down the road.
Also, considering the disdain that you seem to have for management, why do you want to jump right in there with them?

dodptsup

I am really confused now.
In another thread you comment, to the effect, "apparently my body rejected the brown blood transfusion" and how you, in essence, will buck the system every chance you get but this post seems to suggest that you are willing to sacrifice your body and your future health to the extent that you are taking some powerful drugs so you can hurry back to the trenches and damage your spinal cord a little more.
Did you report the back injury? If you didn't, I would do it now before you seriously, and forever, damage your back.
I realize at your age you think you are bulletproof, we all did or do. I would seriously suggest that you redirect some of this unbridled enthusiasm that you seem to have inward towards yourself and decide where you will be 5, 10, 15 years down the road.
Also, considering the disdain that you seem to have for management, why do you want to jump right in there with them?
Yes I reported it, happened 2 yrs ago, too late, there is permanent damage, and no at "my age" as you put it I dont think I am bullet proof, I got over that about 15 yrs ago(I am 40+ yrs old). I jumped in there with them 6 years ago, and things were a bit different then. and I take the pain pills just to be functional, and I have a strong work ethic, do my best to get the job done, only now I dont lift ANY packages. Any more questions?

upsdude

The minute I’m eligible to retire, I’m gone. I plan to quietly do my paperwork, submit it, and one day I’ll just disappear. The ultimate “No Call No Show” LOL. I wouldn’t walk away now, too much time invested, but only a little longer.

Money? I have a 32 year old friend that paints cars for a local dealership’s collision center. He grosses 2000-2200 a week and he’s out the door at 5:00PM everyday. A pension? No. Medical Benefits? Yes, but he pays 75.00 a week for family coverage. He’s still doing better than we are and he’s smart enough to save for the future. He says that one day the only painting he’ll do is on his rental property. LOL.

After UPS I’ll get back into cars and restorations. I have folks asking me nearly everyday to take in work, I just don’t have the time……now.

rushfan

Sure, I would. I don't feel prisoned at UPS. However, what I was doing while working preload was alot more interesting. Like the time when I was on a 300 foot communication tower and had to use the restroom. Snowmobiling in a blizzard after doing work at one of the remote radio sites.

On the other hand, I get all the free candy, doughnuts, and left over food from my customers. I never got that from my former employer.

Last edited:
[-][/-]i love my job its the best job i ever had when your followed all the time but cant figure out why im over paid o well i think safety first every thing esle after go slow get paid friend--- every management there not on the road on a daily basis if it wasnt for us upsers they would be out of a job so friend--- off let us do our jobs in the long run i would not stay if something better came along but like every one says once you been working withs ups for a while your stuck and its tough to quit, if management wants to fire me so be it and thank you if they dont want to pursure and harass make threat just stick your nose up and who gives a friend---