Illegal search and seizure as I exited the building

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This kind of disturbs me because it happened to me, and I was told yes he has the right, but he did it wrong. If it happened to me today and "they" did it wrong, I would pursue it, after all we all have to follow rules.

porkwagon

I have only been with ups for a little over a month. I am quite upset that tonight, as I exited the building after my shift was over, I was subjected to an illegal search and seizure by ups thugs.

They told me they were looking for cellphones, proceeded to have me empty my pockets, hold my arms out and scanned me down.

There was no probable cause. This is clearly illegal search and seizure!

You might ask, what did they seize? MY TIME!
Don't be daft.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I am quite upset that tonight, as I exited the building after my shift was over, I was subjected to an illegal search and seizure by ups thugs.

Lately, I have been laying low not responding to many threads but I have to admit, this is one of the best threads I have read in quite some time and as such, very deserving of response. First off Mary, if something as simple as a search upsets you, please keep your lily whiteass home and never go to an airport, as doing so would most likely traumatize and utterly devastate you. I have been groped so much, I have TSA agents who send me and my unit Xmas cards.

Secondly, please for the love of God, stop watching Duck Dynasty and Law and Order! Those shows will never mix and you will never be a lawyer, but I do thank you for attempting to throw some humorous legal jargon into your post even if it was a fail. Illegal is forbidden by law whereas unlawful is not authorized by law but hey, How would Uncle Si know this? You're just some shvatz and the guards are not law enforcers and there is no crime when an employer manhandles your meatsleeve with a wand. Possibly against policy, maybe uncomfortable, slightly annoying, but definitely and absolutely not unlawful....or in your case ILLEGAL. Time is not an element or even a tangible object which could be seized if your rights were actually violated but I have a feeling that explaining that to you would be fruitless so I won't.

They told me they were looking for cellphones, proceeded to have me empty my pockets, hold my arms out and scanned me down.

How dare those lying, knuckle-dragging, HoneyBooBoo looking mongoloids make you empty your pockets at your place of employment and then embarrass and subject you to further cruelty by making you lift your arms. I bet that was the most excruciating 15 seconds you have ever been subjected to. and I truly feel your sorrow and angst. If that were me, I would immediately march my ass down to the local courthouse and file an injunction and lawsuit against the guards and UPS for such inhumane treatment....Oh wait, NEVERMIND they also could possibly want to search you and oh my, touch you somewhere.

Again, I ask that you refrain from watching too much Law and Order and Swamp people as shows like that do nothing to help your understanding of the criminal justice system or the private sector but I will not chastise you further regarding your use of legal jargon. Please, if they continue with their barbaric practices, contact me through here and I will certainly have a legal team ready, on standby to help you with your case.

Good luck and good bye!

UPSGUY72

I have only been with ups for a little over a month. I am quite upset that tonight, as I exited the building after my shift was over, I was subjected to an illegal search and seizure by ups thugs.

Get over it. There most likely a sign somewhere that says you and your bags are subject to search and or you sign a paper when you where hired that says you are subject to search. If you don't like it go somewhere else. I deliver to places that employ cars and bags are search everyday when they leave.

If you have nothing to hide it shouldn't be a big deal. When you start giving them a hard time about it your going to get search everyday no matter what because now they have a reason to believe that you might be stealing. In the end it's an unfortunate situation but some UPS employee think they can get away with stealing. Employee theft cost UPS millions of dollars each year.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
and you will never be a lawyer, but I do thank you for attempting to throw some humorous legal jargon into your post even if it was a fail.
Ah flashbacks to when I was a cop dealing with the "street lawyers." I bet @cosmo1 had to deal with some of those too.

Illegal is forbidden by law whereas unlawful is not authorized by law but hey, How would Uncle Si know this
Ah now the flashbacks are switching to the academy and mala in se vs mala prohibitum. Also spirit of the law vs letter of the law.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The hub I work in (which I won't mention) NEVER checks feeder drivers, going in or out. I could walk in there with 12 handguns in a UPS duffel bag, or walk OUT with 13 Iphones.

These "security" measures are crap, but hey, UPS feels that they help. Whatever helps you sleep at night, UPS

Mainly because, historically, it is the PTers stealing the packages.

As for coming in with the guns, security does not want a confrontation with a deranged, armed feeder driver. They want to live.

They will let management deal with him, or let him deal with management.

DOK

I'm seriously losing sleep over this. This bothers me tremendously. This is a blatant and serious violation of my constitutional rights.

And No, my butt does not ring. (Is that what happens after I've been with ups for awhile?)
I'm sure you signed something at application time to consent to a search at any time as condition of employment. Most don't read the fine print....