I'm Done, Out On My Time

KOG72

I’m full of it
The last three days have been a blast. Good weather and decent stop counts. I got out before Amazon Prime Day really hit, I won't have to deal with Driver's Helpers, and I will never deliver a package in the dark again.
Congratulations brother well deserved

Shiftless

The last three days have been a blast. Good weather and decent stop counts. I got out before Amazon Prime Day really hit, I won't have to deal with Driver's Helpers, and I will never deliver a package in the dark again.
FANTASTIC! You made it!

I bet there is a lot out here in BC that want to know the stats on how you did it. Years of service , PT & FT Jobs you had.

Many wonder if they will ever make retirement before their body or mental prowess declines and you did.

I always say, Get busy or Die! Retirement takes work, so enjoy the heck out of it!

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Congrats, Scratch. :)

Enjoy your retirement. Christmas has to feel a lot different when you aren't outside lost in the ghetto at night the day before... Lol.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
MB904 powered p70 I was a little surprised to see those on the ADA list. Their big brother 140 series is not on the list.
They almost scraped mine last year when the water pump went out. About three months ago the turbo blew and took its second engine out. I was surprised that it got fixed, only due to the pandemic and package car shortage. 413K miles on it, I loved driving it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
FANTASTIC! You made it!

I bet there is a lot out here in BC that want to know the stats on how you did it. Years of service , PT & FT Jobs you had.

Many wonder if they will ever make retirement before their body or mental prowess declines and you did.

I always say, Get busy or Die! Retirement takes work, so enjoy the heck out of it!
I was 17 and had just started my senior year at high school when I began. (October 15, 1975). I had worked one day at a McDonald's the week before, $2.10 an hour was minimum wage back then. Some buddies were going to to apply at UPS through a work program and I tagged along. I was hired on the spot at $4.25 an hour and my first job was loading trailers on the Midnight Sort in the original Atlanta Hub. Soon I was a pick-off, I had three trailers with the old rollers going into them. I worked my first seven years on the Purple Belt, it was the bottom front belt in the Primary Sort so we also got all the smalls and irregulars. I spent most of those years working Irregulars, this was before the electric trains and we had to push carts around the building and at one time we had an old yellow P-400 we got to drive too. I worked my last year in the hub on the Twilight Sort doing the same thing, then I signed the bid list and got a bid route to go driving. It took me three bids to finally make full-time. Most of the routes in that building were Downtown Atlanta driving P-600s.

First route was an industrial park in Morrow, Ga driving an ancient Ford cabover straight truck in 1984, I used to backup to docks all day. It had air brakes and I still have my Class B CDL. I would go out blown out with 400 pieces and pickup 600, so I was handling 1000 boxes a day. Very little overtime, I had to get pickups covered often because we were really the only company that did what we do at the time. Second route I was in a P-600 with a Walmart bulkstop and then I had a little town called Rex I stayed in all day. One of the first things I noticed when I started at UPS was that most of the older drivers drove smaller cars. Third route was a country route for one year around the Lake Dow area in McDonough Ga. P-500 with about 60-70 stops and one empty shelf! 200 miles a day and I loved that area. Another driver rolled me off the area one year later so I took his old route. My fourth and final route was a large private lake called Lake Spivey in Jonesboro, Ga. It started out in a P-500 and I was mad when that was taken away and I had to drive a P-700. 95% residential and 125 stops and 100 miles worked up to an eight hour day. Now that route gets 160-200 a day and the area has gotten smaller and tighter. I worked that for 24 years and I will miss my customers.

I never hated my job like a lot of people do. I always had money in my pocket and I never worried about finances. My 401K and IRA looks a lot better than most people's. I was sticking 25% in it the last couple of years and I am going to try to stay out of it for now and not file for Social Security yet. My pension amount is $4808 before taxes, I will get the first one November 1. I always tried to concentrate on enjoying the most of it and I learned to not stressed out about a lot of the normal BS the company is always pushing. I built a new house the year after I got married. Both our sons got college degrees and turned out well. We just moved into a new house in a retirement community in Griffin, Ga called Sun City Peachtree. Gated entrance, sidewalks and golf cart paths, and no teenagers allowed. Its very quiet and the neighborhood looks like a resort. Security, garbage, lawn services, and many other amenities for a minor $218 HOA fee. We put $100K worth of options in our house and we love it here.

Attachments

• SPd2OSrYTj++fZZeauZ1Tg.jpg
    SPd2OSrYTj++fZZeauZ1Tg.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Congratulations on your retirement. I bet with in year
or so you will be kicking yourself for working as many years as you did.

oldngray

nowhere special
Congratulations on your retirement. I bet with in year
or so you will be kicking yourself for working as many years as you did.
You need to decide whether being able to relax some of the last good years of your life vs making more money for a shorter retirement. If the dispatches were more reasonable most people wouldn't mind working a few more years.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I was 17 and had just started my senior year at high school when I began. (October 15, 1975). I had worked one day at a McDonald's the week before, $2.10 an hour was minimum wage back. Some buddies were going to to apply at UPS through a work program and I tagged along. I was hired on the spot at $4.25 an hour and my first job was loading trailers on the Midnight Sort in the original Atlanta Hub. Soon I was a pick-off, I had three trailers with the old rollers going into them. I worked my first seven years on the Purple Belt, it was the bottom front belt in the Primary Sort so we also got all the smalls and irregulars. I spent most of those years working Irregulars, this was before the electric trains and we had to push carts around the building and at one time we had an old yellow P-400 we got to drive too. I worked my last year in the hub on the Twilight Sort doing the same thing, then I signed the bid list and got a bid route to go driving. It took me three bids to finally make full-time. Most of the routes in that building were Downtown Atlanta driving P-600s.

First route was an industrial park in Morrow, Ga driving an ancient Ford cabover straight truck in 1984, I used to backup to docks all day. It had air brakes and I still have my Class B CDL. I would go out blown out with 400 pieces and pickup 600, so I was handling 1000 boxes a day. Very little overtime, I had to get pickups covered often because we were really the only company that did what we do at the time. Second route I was in a P-600 with a Walmart bulkstop and then I had a little town called Rex I stayed in all day. One of the first things I noticed when I started at UPS was that most of the older drivers drove smaller cars. Third route was a country route for one year around the Lake Dow area in McDonough Ga. P-500 with about 60-70 stops and one empty shelf! 200 miles a day and I loved that area. Another driver rolled me off the area one year later so I took his old route. My fourth and final route was a large private lake called Lake Spivey in Jonesboro, Ga. It started out in a P-500 and I was mad when that was taken away and I had to drive a P-700. 95% residential and 125 stops and 100 miles worked up to an eight hour day. Now that route gets 160-200 a day and the area has gotten smaller and tighter. I worked that for 24 years and I will miss my customers.

I never hated my job like a lot of people do. I always had money in my pocket and I never worried about finances. My 401K and IRA looks a lot better than most people's. I was sticking 25% in it the last couple of years and I am going to try to stay out of it for now and not file for Social Security yet. My pension amount is $4808 before taxes, I will get the first one November 1. I always tried to concentrate on enjoying the most of it and I learned to not stressed out about a lot of the normal BS the company is always pushing. I built a new house the year after I got married. Both our sons got college degrees and turned out well. We just moved into a new house in a retirement community in Griffin, Ga called Sun City Peachtree. Gated entrance, sidewalks and golf cart paths, and no teenagers allowed. Its very quiet and the neighborhood looks like a resort. Security, garbage, lawn services, and many other amenities for a minor $218 HOA fee. We put $100K worth of options in our house and we love it here.
please be a helper this year
🧔✊