I'm new at UPS and just got my CDL

finaddict

If offered full time go that route. Never go PT to FT unless you have no options. You will start out just under $18 an hour on the FT pay progresssion. The first two-four years are tight budget. You probably wont work close to 40 a week but one day a week gets your benefits paid. Top pay after four years. Expect to make $85-$120K a year after four years. It just sucks getting those progression years in. Many, Many UPS Hubs hiring off the street for FT feeder
jobs.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hi everyone. So I was officially hired by UPS in Las Vegas on Feb 21 of this year as a package handler. At the same time I was halfway through trucking school to get my CDL. I graduated on March 10 and I'm awaiting my official license in the mail. Now long story short, I wasn't aware of how UPS worked in terms of moving up the career ladder until about 3-4 weeks in. Now that I know, I'm faced with a big decision that coupled with certain things going on in my personal life requires me to decide quickly and carefully. My question to you all:

- Ride or die with UPS?
Or
- Pursue a career with my CDL somewhere else?

Any advice y'all have is much appreciated. Be kind with your responses please.
go drive the truck it is what you got the carl for

WThomas

I actually went the same route as you (got CDL then started working for UPS when FT driver position opened). You got a gold mine (CDL) in your pocket, use it. I was in law enforcement for 11 years when I started CDL school. I made 13 grand more my first year as an otr driver than I did as an 11 year vet police officer.
Yes, you will be gone two or three weeks out the month, but you absolutely need AT LEAST 6 months of good otr experience before you can open better doors. Start researching trucking companies and find the one best for you.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Go into Package Car. That's where the real action is. Those Feeders guys are just a bunch of fat slobs.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Depends on location and their need for feeder drivers. At HARPA we have been hiring a lot of drivers off the street.

Also, to drive feeders at UPS you need your doubles/triples endorsements so make sure you have that as well.
But as a “general” rule, no.. wouldn’t you say?? They are thinking about pulling from the combo ranks then maybe from pt first even before they go to outside hires here...