Importance of attending your Panel Hearing?

eeobrown

Any stewards or Ba's out there, how much does you showing up to your panel hearing? I ask beacuse mine is extremely far away. I asked one person who's been in front of the panel 3 times and he said the 2 he attended he won and the one he missed he lost. ty

QKRSTKR

I don't see how you can win if your not there. Is it a state panel or a JAC? I thought they were all regional.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Any stewards or Ba's out there, how much does you showing up to your panel hearing? I ask beacuse mine is extremely far away. I asked one person who's been in front of the panel 3 times and he said the 2 he attended he won and the one he missed he lost. ty

Does your local's bylaws cover travel expenses for fired members attending panel?

bluehdmc

If the person you know said they won the 2x they were there and lost the one time they weren't that sorta tells you what the odds are gonna be.

brown_trousers

Kinda sounds like its a worthwhile investment to show up at the hearing, even if it does mean putting the travel expenses on a credit card. Better safe than sorry!

tardus

You should always attend your panel hearing. For one thing, you cannot rely on the Business Agent to adequately represent you. It may be a case where you actually have a good case according to the contract, but, for whatever reason, the BA does not feel like pushing your case. I went to a panel hearing once, and my goofy BA (who was immediately hired by UPS as a supervisor when he later lost his BA election) did not adequately represent me and even kept interrupting me when I was given a minute to state my case.

No one knows the details of your case as well as you do, and you need to be present to give testimony on your behalf, just as you would in a court of law. In my experience, the Union appeared to have an inherent disadvantage at the panel hearings to start with. The company will likely be represented on the panel by executives with masters degrees while the union will likely be represented on the panel by truck drivers who perhaps do not have the advantage of having advanced degrees. (Please be assured that I am not criticizing the Union representation on the panel or truck drivers, only pointing out that there may be an unequal match regarding education and business experience.)

The panel will probably conclude that you did not consider your case very important if you don't show up. Can you imagine going asking for a variance from your local zoning board and not bothering to show up?

Last edited:

brown_trousers

You should always attend your panel hearing. For one thing, you cannot rely on the Business Agent to adequately represent you. It may be a case where you actually have a good case according to the contract, but, for whatever reason, the BA does not feel like pushing your case. I went to a panel hearing once, and my goofy BA (who was immediately hired by UPS as a supervisor when he later lost his BA election) did not adequately represent me and even kept interrupting me when I was given a minute to state my case.

No one knows the details of your case as well as you do, and you need to be present to give testimony on your behalf, just as you would in a court of law. In my experience, the Union appeared to have an inherent disadvantage at the panel hearings to start with. The company will likely be represented on the panel by executives with masters degrees while the union will likely be represented on the panel by truck drivers who perhaps do not have the advantage of having advanced degrees. (Please be assured that I am not criticizing the Union representation on the panel or truck drivers, only pointing out that there may be an unequal match regarding education and business experience.)

The panel will probably conclude that you did not consider your case very important if you don't show up. Can you imagine going asking for a variance from your local zoning board and not bothering to show up?

Very true! These arbitrators are like judges in the way they collect facts and arguments and try to make the best decisions based on the verbatim of the contract. I have much respect for my BA, but he honestly doesnt strike me as having the attorney like mindset and attitude that would win in arbitration. I would most definately show up for my own hearing if I my job was on the line!

barnyard

KTM rider
In my experience, the Union appeared to have an inherent disadvantage at the panel hearings to start with. The company will likely be represented on the panel by executives with masters degrees while the union will likely be represented on the panel by truck drivers who perhaps do not have the advantage of having advanced degrees. (Please be assured that I am not criticizing the Union representation on the panel or truck drivers, only pointing out that there may be an unequal match regarding education and business experience.)

This point cannot be emphasized enough.

UPS has attorneys on staff, throughout the country that have studied labor law throughout their entire careers. For the most part, if a Teamster gets that far in their education, they go into management.

Hoffa is a labor lawyer and it is important to remember that we need people that have advanced degrees in our corner.

packageguy

can I ask what did you do, that your going to panel