In theory...what would happen?

BrownBrokeDown

I have a question about customer package tracking. Say I order a package and is being shipped from Texas to CA. But while in route....it was loaded in Texas into the wrong trailer and sent to say, a center in Alabama. Now it's unloaded at the Alabama center.....and scanned. Would that scan show up on the UPS tracking website as part of the package journey?? Thereby letting the soon to be irate customer that their package is in the wrong state, and will be arriving later than expected.
Yes, it shows what location the scan was at. I have experienced this a few times.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a question about customer package tracking. Say I order a package and is being shipped from Texas to CA. But while in route....it was loaded in Texas into the wrong trailer and sent to say, a center in Alabama. Now it's unloaded at the Alabama center.....and scanned. Would that scan show up on the UPS tracking website as part of the package journey?? Thereby letting the soon to be irate customer that their package is in the wrong state, and will be arriving later than expected.

Yes.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Not sure if this still applies as it was 3-4+ years ago, but I ordered a laptop for myself during peak. The belt I was working doubles on actually misloaded it (was supposed to be delivered that day from the center to my house) on a truck going to Ohio. The tracking information I saw on the customer site was accurate, as it had an arrival scan at the Toledo hub.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Your question intrigued me so I found a missort and took a look online. This is what it says

"We've incorrectly sorted the package at our facility. This may cause at least one business day delay."

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
This time of year, I order a lot of stuff online. For example, I've currently got 6 different shipments heading my way from various parts of the country. I keep a log, tracing the delivery date, etc, to be sure everything is delivered to me. Where I run into problems is when it leaves somewhere via FEDEX or UPS and is handed over to USPS. The first part of the journey is usually done in a timely manner, but when it gets to the post office, well, that's another story. I've had stuff sit at our local post office for as long as 4 days without any movement.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not sure if this still applies as it was 3-4+ years ago, but I ordered a laptop for myself during peak. The belt I was working doubles on actually misloaded it (was supposed to be delivered that day from the center to my house) on a truck going to Ohio. The tracking information I saw on the customer site was accurate, as it had an arrival scan at the Toledo hub.

Our center is small enough to where I can give the PDS the tracking number the day before and the package will be held rather than put out for delivery.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Not sure where it happened, but many years ago, the railroad parked two TOFC's on some side track out in the middle of nowhere, loaded with packages. Thieves found them and pilfered the trailers. The railroad totally lost them. Claims started rolling in in huge numbers. The only reason they found them was some farmer who owned the nearby fields complained to the railroad that white styrofoam peanuts from the busted open packages was all over his property. oops!