Increasing the Span of Control:Eliminating Managers

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Trouble is the company has no respect at all for any employees suggestions even though many of them would be to the benefit of FedEx. Therefore the suggestions are ignored, laughed at or most likely both.

Do you really think that the managers are really running their stations? Nope, Memphis is running the show and poorly at that.

The Express Clown Circus is so bad right now that management doesn't really even matter. They are trying to piss into a hurricane, with predictable results. The bottom is about here...I waiting for the next major failure. Guaranteed..around the corner.

SmithBarney

to be honest experienced couriers and dispatch could run the station without interference from anyone from ops or station management. but if your goal is to cut hours and implement DRA, then obviously you need interference like that. and what on earth would happen if couriers ran their own stations? then their opinions and their livelihoods would have to be respected, and that would lead to nightmare situations like topping out, great healthcare, having more people on hand to actually handle sick calls and give people more/flexible vacation, it would be the end of the world as we know it basically. I applaud the shareholders and the board for holding fedex back from the precipice.
Some of it depends on the CRRs in question... now granted if CRRs ran the stations the slackers would get cut out of hours.. "oh you don't want those stops? OK, no problem, see that PT guy he'll take them and 20 more" "guess what you just lost half your route...your now PT ;) "

hypo hanna

I once worked in very small outlying station that was assigned a manager but they were stationed in another location and we rarely saw him. After he transferred, we were without an official manager for almost a year. The other managers would handle our paperwork etc but they never showed up at our building. During that time, we consistently put up the best service numbers in the district. Granted its easier to do with a small station but we also had little if any support from the host station.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I once worked in very small outlying station that was assigned a manager but they were stationed in another location and we rarely saw him. After he transferred, we were without an official manager for almost a year. The other managers would handle our paperwork etc but they never showed up at our building. During that time, we consistently put up the best service numbers in the district. Granted its easier to do with a small station but we also had little if any support from the host station.
In a nutshell, get the managers out of the station and the couriers, CSA's and dispatch can get some work done.