information needed about calgary

S

ssdriver

I am a full driver in montreal who is thinking about transfering to calgary in november... I would like to correspond with a driver in calgary. I need to know the pros and cons about working in calgary among other things. So if you, or if you know of someone who can shed some light in this matter...I would appreciate It...You can reach me at [email protected] Thanks

P

pd109

Since no Calgary driver has responded to your post, I thought I`d respond having lived there for awhile.First of all,ups is ups from Texas to Thompson Manitoba.I`d bet the only real difference from where you are now is that you`d have to learn a new area,and that nobody speaks French.The worst thing about Calgary is the numbered steets.I`d imagine they have a lot more clerical packages than there are in Montreal .Example 1277 99th st N...if you get my drift.It could be for 1299 97th st N instead.
And your gonna need a cowboy hat, a pickup truck
and a new appreciation for the Good Brothers.
Hope I was a help.

S

ssdriver

Thanks for your input pd109...I do know that there are french schools in or around calgary ( beleive it or not)..I did hear about the pickup trucks though. I wonder what my minivan would look like out there..
lol.gif

G

gman

You can transfer in Canada??? Don't think you can do that south of the border.

S

ssdriver

Well, in this case there a few full time runs available, and no one seems to want to bid on them. I keep my seniority for vacations only. And the transfer is at my expense.

P

pd109

You can bet that they`ll try to overdispatch you.So just follow the methods and call for help when its lunch time,or they will abuse you forever.French schools in Calary?Ok you must have kids that you want to learn the culture.They wont find it there.We`ve had a few guys relocate and lose seniority only to return a year later at the bottom of the list.Calgary is ok but you may find it lacks what you have now.

S

ssdriver

Well lets see... Gas is about 15 to 20 cents cheaper a litre in calgary... Oh, and about 8% of my taxes will find their way back into my pocket. If you look at what you spend in a year..thats alot of coin!!

hoser

Industrial Slob
Since no Calgary driver has responded to your post, I thought I`d respond having lived there for awhile.First of all,ups is ups from Texas to Thompson Manitoba.I`d bet the only real difference from where you are now is that you`d have to learn a new area,and that nobody speaks French.The worst thing about Calgary is the numbered steets.I`d imagine they have a lot more clerical packages than there are in Montreal .Example 1277 99th st N...if you get my drift.It could be for 1299 97th st N instead.
And your gonna need a cowboy hat, a pickup truck
and a new appreciation for the Good Brothers.
Hope I was a help.
But when you use postal codes, you can know the difference between 12 st 99 av and 12 av 99 st. and 1 in 100 packages have addresses written in like that. Just involves using the handy postal code map, memorizing them is even better :wink: