Injured Off the Job

spmoto

Went snowboarding yesterday and broke my left wrist in addition to injuring my right ankle. I will be in a cast for 4 to 6 weeks per the doctors instructions. I know that UPS has zero use for me in my current condition, but my question is do I still have a job? I'm a permanent part time employee with about 3 years seniority. Is this something that I should get with the Union on?

If UPS does not have any work for me should I contact my states unemployment office? I'm really worried that I might not have a job after 6 weeks.

barnyard

KTM rider
Call your boss before your 1st shift and find out what Doctor's notes they need. Then call your H&W hotline to file for disability. There is usually a 1 week waiting period. Also talk to the H&W people about if your benefits will be maintained and if not, what you have to maintain your insurance.

You should have your same job when you are released to full duty. Heal well.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Your job is safe. I think they'll hold it for 2 yrs. After that, they have the option to release...in Washington anyway...

Kis124

You only need a withdrawal card if you are leaving employment. He is not, will be on disability which is administered by the union.
Actually, if he doesn't want to have to pay back dues, he should get one. I was out for 3.5 months on an injury not sustained at UPS, and they too 3 months of dues from me upon return

U

uber

You only need a withdrawal card if you are leaving employment. He is not, will be on disability which is administered by the union.

Not true. I was on disability for 10 months and withdrew so I didn't have to pay union dues.

menotyou

bella amicizia
They won't use anyone who is not on comp for light duty. At least in our building, many have tried.
I didn't even think of that. The FT casual running my route broke his foot two weeks ago. They won't let him work light duty. God forbid, he gets hurt worse on the clock.