Insight on coworkers claiming harassment? On Topic

Rack em

Made the Podium
No. Being (a puppet) on the safety committee pits hourly against hourly and from its inception it is wrong.
What you are doing, you are doing with a right heart but it's wrong from the get go.
People like USNY like to be in a position of authority because it strokes his ego.
You have to learn not to be used by management. You absolutely do not have to do audits of fellow co-workers. That is stretching the "working as directed" issue too far. The safety committee agendas have become fool's gold and those without knowledge (or spine) can be put into a position of false authority thus creating a hostile work environment.
Either change the committee directives, get your local to abolish it or replace the committee members with people who won't be fooled into these roles.
I understand, I was definitely one of the people who was possibly fooled into the role. I was offered to be put on the committee while I was still qualifying. I'm not on the committee to stroke my ego or gain any false authority. At the time the highest seniority driver was about to retire and suggested and asked me to take his place on the committee, so I did because it sounded easy enough. Getting paid 15 extra minutes to put tape on boxes is easy money. But it's not like I'm a puppet for management. I made a mistake that I know not to make again, my bad.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Wow..you make the CHSP member the bad guy! Seriously so many non-management were at fault way before he got involved.

1) over 70 package should have had tape once it was unloaded from trailer (1st Failure by non-management)
2) irreg train loader/unloader (2nd failure)
3) persons loading package into boxline/belt (3rd failure)
4) loader loads in package car (4th failure)

get the picture yet...this is a failure to follow the methods (training). Convenient to ignore it...

so a person on YOUR safety committee is trying to help you and when you do not let him help you correct a safety defect, he (CHSP member) reports the safety defect it to a supervisor (which he is supposed to do or should do) and you think he ratted on you! You must admit just about every driver tells management to tell pre-load to do their job.

Sooo in what what way would you want the safety defect corrected??

nothing to see here move along.......

10 Pt

No the preload does not have a committee, we are a smaller center. I only entered one of his cars one time between both instances to tape a box.
I won't deny that they turn their head to safety, especially when it comes to production. But I get paid to come in and tape the damn boxes so that's what I'm going to do. If I don't they will say I clock in and steal time or some malarkey.
You don't have to come in before your start time. Unless you're just doing it for the $$$?
If you check every car and give a pen stroke for every over 70 loaded or mark down how many come out of the trailers without tape on them then you aren't put in a position of having to deal with other workers face to face but above everything else NEVER identify any worker's deficiency by name or car number. Never. It's not your job and that's when you get blow back.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
You are auditing vehicle loads that do not affect your safety. File on what affects you. Leave the rest of the training, retraining, or auditing to management.

Here's one for you: tell the management to slow the belt flow so that the loaders have time to use the methods they have been trained in and their highlight tape will be applied (in the primary instead of dumping the responsibility on the loaders) and their hazmats will be locked and blocked as they were trained.
Maybe make sure that you get highlight tape on every OV70 you pick up too.

Here's one for you: Safety affects everyone, your performance or lack of does not give you the right to cut corners.

10 Pt

Wow..you make the CHSP member the bad guy! Seriously so many non-management were at fault way before he got involved.

1) over 70 package should have had tape once it was unloaded from trailer (1st Failure by non-management)
2) irreg train loader/unloader (2nd failure)
3) persons loading package into boxline/belt (3rd failure)
4) loader loads in package car (4th failure)

get the picture yet...this is a failure to follow the methods (training). Convenient to ignore it...

so a person on YOUR safety committee is trying to help you and when you do not let him help you correct a safety defect, he (CHSP member) reports the safety defect it to a supervisor (which he is supposed to do or should do) and you think he ratted on you! You must admit just about every driver tells management to tell pre-load to do their job.

Sooo in what what way would you want the safety defect corrected??

nothing to see here move along.......
Wow are you out of touch.
The first failure was the driver who failed to highlight tape the OV70 pkg(s) when they picked it up.
Your point is a derail. Do your own audit. That's your job.

10 Pt

Here's one for you: Safety affects everyone, your performance or lack of does not give you the right to cut corners.
What the heck does that have to do with this ON TOPIC post Einstein?
You and USNY are quite the pair.
It's not any bargaining unit member's job to address these issues with other hourlies. Evidently you like the friction between bargaining unit members ... which is par for the management course.

10 Pt

I understand, I was definitely one of the people who was possibly fooled into the role. I was offered to be put on the committee while I was still qualifying. I'm not on the committee to stroke my ego or gain any false authority. At the time the highest seniority driver was about to retire and suggested and asked me to take his place on the committee, so I did because it sounded easy enough. Getting paid 15 extra minutes to put tape on boxes is easy money. But it's not like I'm a puppet for management. I made a mistake that I know not to make again, my bad.
Being on the safety committee isn't the problem. Wanting to help people work safely isn't the problem either.

Mentoring other workers takes a couple of things to be present to not be viewed as imitating a supervisory role:

1.) Longevity. Respected by peers and known by most as someone with solid job skills.
2.) A good personal safety record and someone who commands respect from others because he/she gives respect to co-workers.
3.) Personable and disarming in nature. Not overbearing and argumentative.

Even with these attributes it's not our job to report any person's name, but only a total of occurances throughout the whole operation for that day leaving the fellow hourlies anonymous if you agree to observe these issues.
The loader should never have to deal with highlight tape. That's total system failure.

10 Pt

Yeah and then when the driver gets hurt and we ask if he tested the weight you guys complain that we are trying to get out of paying a claim.
Hard to truly test the weight when it's loaded on the top shelf (with no highlight tape) and it's gotta come down to deliver it.
Maybe you ought to do the job long enough to know what you are talking about when you babble.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Never single a member out and you won't get singled out for it in return. The chsp committee is supposed to be to identify general areas that need improvement, not putting on highlight tape.

You should always wad but, that doesn't include supervisory, promoting discipline or singling out coworkers.

In other words, it's fine to say, you see a need to pcm the group on a particular safety issue, but it's never fine to end up in the office with someone because of your actions on the chsp.

Also, my many and various loaders were told to put 0/70 tape on unmarked pkgs, and it actually created an actual hazard, because mgmt never allowed time to accomplish this, so it looked like they just laid long strips on the pkg that later just stuck to my hands, cart, the floor, the customers, and everything inbetween.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Did You Know?
Trivia

Barry Williams admitted in his autobiography and on TV Land Confidential (2005) that he was high on marijuana during the filming of this episode.

Screenshot_20170122-205703.png

Bobby is losing all his friends. The reason?: in his new role as safety monitor at school, he has to snitch on his friends if they break the rules. He didn't even want the job, but since no one volunteered, the teacher chose him. As such, his parents convince him that he should be the best safety monitor that he can be. So he decides to report every single violation he sees, big or small, and even if it involves a family member. In that vein, Bobby self-appoints himself as safety monitor at home, writing a report to his parents on every rule broken around the house, even if the offender has a good reason for breaking the rule. This act extends the bad feelings toward Bobby from his siblings as well. Bobby learns the hard way that there are good reasons for the breaking the rules. Meanwhile, Mike buys a small run down sailboat that he figures just needs some tender love care to make seaworthy.

- Huggo

Bobby learns there's more to being safety monitor than enforcing the rules when he takes on the responsibility at school. In the process of annoying classmates and angering his siblings (because he carries over his "authority" at home), Bobby learns a hard lesson about power, discretion and responsibility ... especially when he winds up having to save a classmate's kitten from a dilapidated house.

Last edited:

10 Pt

The safety committee positions are voluntary so as a volunteer you can accept extra work or deny it. WAD does not apply.
You can simply quit participation in committee activities at any time.

rod

Retired 22 years
108 inches in length was the max and 130 inches (length,width and girth).

I'm almost positive the 130 inch limit came along in the late 70's-early 80's. I remember us having to turn in our old chains and get new-longer ones. I'm probably wrong when I said 103 but it wasn't 130 at the time. It's been a long time ago.

By The Book

I'm almost positive the 130 inch limit came along in the late 70's-early 80's. I remember us having to turn in our old chains and get new-longer ones. I'm probably wrong when I said 103 but it wasn't 130 at the time. It's been a long time ago.
The numbers I posted were in 89'