Insight on coworkers claiming harassment? On Topic

542thruNthru

Again I stated I see where I went wrong. But I did not rat him out, I told him twice about the problem and he closed a door in my face. I didn't know what else to do? I can't do everyone else's job for them everyday.

Well apparently you're being paid to take care of safety issues so you're not doing their job you're doing yours. Your job is NOT to retrain a preloader. So next time keep your higher than thou mouth shut and move on.

He thought you were harassing him because he found you twice in his cars doing something/complaining. How do you expect him to feel? What seems to be escaping you is he doesn't answer to you. He has a job to do he doesn't need another sup/YOU telling him what he is doing wrong.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Well apparently you're being paid to take care of safety issues so you're not doing their job you're doing yours. Your job is NOT to retrain a preloader. So next time keep your higher than thou mouth shut and move on.

He thought you were harassing him because he found you twice in his cars doing something/complaining. How do you expect him to feel? What seems to be escaping you is he doesn't answer to you. He has a job to do he doesn't need another sup/YOU telling him what he is doing wrong.
I never tried to "retrain" him at all. I pointed out he didn't load a hazmat correctly and he refused to fix it going as far to close a door in my face.

The first time I didn't go in the car, the hazmat was in plain view in the back. The second time I didn't complain about anything, I simply walked in the car when he wasn't even in there to do what I am paid to do and he followed me into the car. I know he doesn't answer to me and I have zero authority, I mentioned that multiple times already. I know he has a job to do, but if he does something he should do it right especially if it is unsafe.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Does the preload not have a safety committee? Why did you feel the need to go to management and have them talk to the preloader and not report this "dangerous "situation to his safety committee to have them talk to the loader in question. I could see where a driver constantly going into a preloaders load could be considered harassment
No the preload does not have a committee, we are a smaller center. I only entered one of his cars one time between both instances to tape a box.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I realize you like the extra time and money for participating on the safety committee. I am also sure you take pride in what you are doing but all you are really doing is work that supervisors should be doing. This company preaches safety safety safety as long as is doesn't get in the way of production then safety doesn't matter. Just a dog and pony show all the way around. After all they discontinued safe driving awards to cut cost then turned around and gave the CEO millions more in pay.
I won't deny that they turn their head to safety, especially when it comes to production. But I get paid to come in and tape the damn boxes so that's what I'm going to do. If I don't they will say I clock in and steal time or some malarkey.

10 Pt

Again I stated I see where I went wrong. But I did not rat him out, I told him twice about the problem and he closed a door in my face. I didn't know what else to do? I can't do everyone else's job for them everyday.
How did you not rat him out when by your own admission in your thread post you ssid that you ratted him out to the pt supe?

Rack em

Made the Podium
How did you not rat him out when by your own admission in your thread post you ssid that you ratted him out to the pt supe?
Maybe because I don't agree with the term "ratted out". I know you all are saying it and agree with it, but that's not the way I see it.

I know if anybody whether it be management or a union employee, told me I was doing something wrong and I knew it was wrong, I would just fix whatever it was I was doing wrong. I know I don't have to answer to anybody except management, but if something is wrong then it should be fixed even if a fellow union employee mentioned it to me. How hard would it have been for him to simply load it correctly? But I agree I should have done the same thing and just fixed it myself after he walked away.

10 Pt

I agree, I know at no time do I ever have any authority at all. But what am I supposed to do when legit safety issues aren't taken care of? We are trained to load hazmats for a reason and he refused to correctly load it. At the time I didn't know the proper steps to take, but now I do.
If you are a driver with over 70s not taped or hazmats loaded incorrectly in YOUR route vehicle you report it to management and if it's not corrected you file an article 18 grievance.
You can never assume the role of a supervisor in any capacity and if UpstateNY agrees with what you did you can be assured that it was the wrong thing to do.

Rack em

Made the Podium
If you are a driver with over 70s not taped or hazmats loaded incorrectly in YOUR route vehicle you report it to management and if it's not corrected you file an article 18 grievance.
You can never assume the role of a supervisor in any capacity and if UpstateNY agrees with what you did you can be assured that it was the wrong thing to do.
Legit serious question... How is that any different from what I did? You just said that drivers should report problems to management. I understand what you're saying is that it should be up to the driver of the route to bring up the concern, but that is no different from what I did.

10 Pt

Maybe because I don't agree with the term "ratted out". I know you all are saying it and agree with it, but that's not the way I see it.

I know if anybody whether it be management or a union employee, told me I was doing something wrong and I knew it was wrong, I would just fix whatever it was I was doing wrong. I know I don't have to answer to anybody except management, but if something is wrong then it should be fixed even if a fellow union employee mentioned it to me. How hard would it have been for him to simply load it correctly? But I agree I should have done the same thing and just fixed it myself after he walked away.
No. Being (a puppet) on the safety committee pits hourly against hourly and from its inception it is wrong.
What you are doing, you are doing with a right heart but it's wrong from the get go.
People like USNY like to be in a position of authority because it strokes his ego.
You have to learn not to be used by management. You absolutely do not have to do audits of fellow co-workers. That is stretching the "working as directed" issue too far. The safety committee agendas have become fool's gold and those without knowledge (or spine) can be put into a position of false authority thus creating a hostile work environment.
Either change the committee directives, get your local to abolish it or replace the committee members with people who won't be fooled into these roles.

10 Pt

Legit serious question... How is that any different from what I did? You just said that drivers should report problems to management. I understand what you're saying is that it should be up to the driver of the route to bring up the concern, but that is no different from what I did.
You are auditing vehicle loads that do not affect your safety. File on what affects you. Leave the rest of the training, retraining, or auditing to management.

Here's one for you: tell the management to slow the belt flow so that the loaders have time to use the methods they have been trained in and their highlight tape will be applied (in the primary instead of dumping the responsibility on the loaders) and their hazmats will be locked and blocked as they were trained.
Maybe make sure that you get highlight tape on every OV70 you pick up too.