insipidtoasts thread of questions

AutoZone

BrownPower
I was 24 when I started years ago.. Quit.. And now back at 32.. I'm in pretty decent shape myself. This is way more mental then anything.. If you take any advice here, mine would be get to the sort isle as fast as possible to save your back a lot of pain..

S

selfcancelsignal

Nope, no benefits whatsoever. On-call. No union representation or protection for the first 90 worked days. Only guaranteed one-day per week of work.

Parcel delivery isn't nearly as bad as mail delivery in my opinion, because you don't have to spend hours organizing papers.

Yes, there's a lot to be said for dealing with management. Bad managers can make an otherwise easy job a very unpleasant experience.

How is the management at UPS? Are they trained to give positive reinforcement at all? For myself and most people for that matter, I perform better when management compliments how I'm doing. I can't stand to be in a negative environment, and now understand why people go postal. Telling people that they're not fast enough is the stupidest management technique, because it lowers morale and often acheives the opposite of the desired result. That's psychologically proven.

When I worked as a driver helper, I received lots of praise for a job well-done, which motivated me to go faster and have a more positive attitude towards the job.
& don't have to stop at EVERY address!

Holydriver

I'm 27. I'm in good shape, but I've heard the entry level, and driver jobs are really hard on the body over the long term. I was a seasonal driver helper last year and enjoyed the work, but I just don't know if I'm cut out for it over the long term.. Most of the drivers it seemed had started with UPS as handlers when they were fresh out of high school.

I feel bad recently, because I quit within the first month as a substitute rural carrier for the Post Office. I couldn't tolerate that 5 hours a day were spent organizing the mail before leaving the office by sticking thousands of oversized papers, magazines and letters into hundreds of corresponding tiny slots using only one hand without having everything bunch up, and still be told that I should be working 3 or 4 times faster. That was much too finnicky.

I have an Associate of Science and Bachelors of Arts Degree, so that isn't too helpful for getting any job. I was thinking of starting with Fedex so I could go straight into a delivery position and have a lighter load than what UPS drivers have. I know the benefits and pay are comparatively bad, but a part of me thinks that I may still find a better career someday doing something else. I might even pursue a Masters Degree in a field with a bright outlook. Any ideas?

Also, I applied for a package handler position in a city on the UPS website, but whenever I get to the screen where it says to click to schedule an appointment, it always just tells me that there are no more appointments available. This is how it's been for two months. Why do they even bother posting the job then? The worst thing is that I've decided to move out of state, and I can't even apply to another job elsewhere, because the website has me locked into the position I already applied to. I can't rescind my application.
Dude Im 31 started at 29. Work out daily...usually during my lunch period...and will tell you this job destroys the body. I don't care what these people say. You should see all the people hobble around before dispatch. Bad hips, bad feet and most of all bad knees. Very bad knees. You find yourself dropping the same knee to the ground as you exit the truck and that knee doesn't like the impact 100+ times a day so you start trying to land on the other knee to avoid the pain. Finally you realize you're just destroying both knees..not just one. These turds will tell you that using the handrail to exit truck will make this a non issue. They're wrong. you will get packages weighing up to 150lbs often, you'll love it when those are on a 2nd or 4th floor of an apartment. It's hard on the body. I wake up in pain daily, joints that crack and in general just plain old physically drained. Find another job. Because no matter the pain and discomfort you feel, management still says your not giving them enough of your life

newfie

In a package car it is.
Do you work in my center? The woman that hired me got fired for boinking a driver.

upload_2015-11-7_9-35-41.png

newfie

I'm 27. I'm in good shape, but I've heard the entry level, and driver jobs are really hard on the body over the long term. I was a seasonal driver helper last year and enjoyed the work, but I just don't know if I'm cut out for it over the long term.. Most of the drivers it seemed had started with UPS as handlers when they were fresh out of high school.

I feel bad recently, because I quit within the first month as a substitute rural carrier for the Post Office. I couldn't tolerate that 5 hours a day were spent organizing the mail before leaving the office by sticking thousands of oversized papers, magazines and letters into hundreds of corresponding tiny slots using only one hand without having everything bunch up, and still be told that I should be working 3 or 4 times faster. That was much too finnicky.

I have an Associate of Science and Bachelors of Arts Degree, so that isn't too helpful for getting any job. I was thinking of starting with Fedex so I could go straight into a delivery position and have a lighter load than what UPS drivers have. I know the benefits and pay are comparatively bad, but a part of me thinks that I may still find a better career someday doing something else. I might even pursue a Masters Degree in a field with a bright outlook. Any ideas?

Also, I applied for a package handler position in a city on the UPS website, but whenever I get to the screen where it says to click to schedule an appointment, it always just tells me that there are no more appointments available. This is how it's been for two months. Why do they even bother posting the job then? The worst thing is that I've decided to move out of state, and I can't even apply to another job elsewhere, because the website has me locked into the position I already applied to. I can't rescind my application.

Sounds like you're over qualified for the job.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
What Holydriver said. About the last 10 years with the company, my knees killed me every day. I use a cane everywhere I go now. Stairs are impossible. Even a curb causes me problems. On the bright side, the kids who bag my groceries at Kroger offer to help me load them into my truck. I get to park up close to everywhere I go.
upload_2015-11-7_8-36-40.png

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I started as a preloader at 30. 7 years later I'm driving every day with few physical issues. It's all about how you take care of yourself.
Use the route as a workout, eat stuff from home for lunch, and go to bed early to get up early. Take supplements and get sex every week, you will survive.