Instructed to call customer? What?

Foamer Pyle

As much as this company Beefs about cell phone use, I would tell them no way. When UPS pays your cell phone bill, or issues employees cell phones, then I would do that. There is no way they can make you use your personal phone for company business.

Whargoul

If UPS ever gave my phone number to a customer I would tear them a new :censored2: so bad. If they wanted me to call a customer I'd diad msg them and say the customer can come find me on road - and they better bring ID.

porkwagon

So true. 9 times out of 10 you will end up waiting for consignee to show up no matter how much lead time you give them. People just do not grasp the concept that we are on the go ALL DAY LONG. We are never in any one spot for very long.
Why would you wait for them? You are doing them a courtesy by meeting them in the first place. If they are not not there at the time agreed just keep moving. EX: I'll meet them at Game Stop at 11:45. If they are not standing at my car when I've completed the stop, I proceed to the next stop.

Future

Victory Ride
I have on occasion told office where I would be taking lunch and at what time .....if customer wanted to meet there...bring pkg into coffee shop...they come in and get it......usually very grateful...some have bought me coffee etc

Faceplanted

I have on occasion told office where I would be taking lunch and at what time .....if customer wanted to meet there...bring pkg into coffee shop...they come in and get it......usually very grateful...some have bought me coffee etc
You have 1 hour a day they is yours and yours alone. Why are you still working?

I have had customers see me on lunch, ask me if I have a package for them, I tell them they will have to wait until I'm back on the clock to even check. It's my time!!! I enjoy it and don't like to be bothered

El Correcto

god is dead

I have had customers see me on lunch, ask me if I have a package for them, I tell them they will have to wait until I'm back on the clock to even check. It's my time!!! I enjoy it and don't like to be bothered

I like meeting customers on road. I'll sit there and work as instructed for a good half hour waiting. They haven't asked me since though...:crying:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I had a OMS clerk say that since I use the ATT UPS discount that they have a right to call us on our personal phones
They absolutely have the right to call you on your personal phone. And you absolutely have the right to not answer it.

soberups

Generally speaking, I will be as reasonable and cooperative with my management team as they choose to be with me. If they want to play nice, then on an exception basis I am willing to use my cell phone to help them out with urgent situations when politely asked to do so. Theres a big difference between ASKING me to use my phone and DEMANDING that I use my phone.

soberups

If I am eating lunch and a customer politely asks me for a package, I will walk out to the truck and get it for them and then add an extra minute or two of time onto the end of my lunch break. No big deal. I live in the same small town that I deliver to, I plan on retiring on this route, and I know and like most of these people. Yes there are battles worth fighting but this isnt one of them.

Faceplanted

If I am eating lunch and a customer politely asks me for a package, I will walk out to the truck and get it for them and then add an extra minute or two of time onto the end of my lunch break. No big deal. I live in the same small town that I deliver to, I plan on retiring on this route, and I know and like most of these people. Yes there are battles worth fighting but this isnt one of them.
Slippery slope. If you tend to have lunch in the same area or same place every day, the customer will think it's ok to find you every day on lunch and have you go walk out to the truck every day. I love my hour lunch. I get more done they hour if it comes to researching a project, making important phone calls or paying bills then I ever could at home.

Only 2 of my customers have my number. One of them is because they usually ship out nothing, some days they will have 10 heavy boxes. Second story biz, I gave them my number strictly to notify me if I should bring my hand cart. My other customer who has my number is another pick up, once or twice a month I'm super light, go by an hour early and tell them if they have anything going out after I pass by call me so I can notify my sup to have another driver pass by on the way in to get the pick up. My on road and I have an agreement with this situation, that and every Christmas I get a nice microbrew 12 pack and 100 bucks from them .

I have a few customers who are out of the office often, all I do is tell them this is my 5 o clock pick up Every day at this adress. I will be there plus or minus 15 min, if you need it bad you know where to find me.

But ya. These slopes get real slippery real fast

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
th

wayfair

swollen member
Slippery slope. If you tend to have lunch in the same area or same place every day, the customer will think it's ok to find you every day on lunch and have you go walk out to the truck every day. I love my hour lunch. I get more done they hour if it comes to researching a project, making important phone calls or paying bills then I ever could at home.

Only 2 of my customers have my number. One of them is because they usually ship out nothing, some days they will have 10 heavy boxes. Second story biz, I gave them my number strictly to notify me if I should bring my hand cart. My other customer who has my number is another pick up, once or twice a month I'm super light, go by an hour early and tell them if they have anything going out after I pass by call me so I can notify my sup to have another driver pass by on the way in to get the pick up. My on road and I have an agreement with this situation, that and every Christmas I get a nice microbrew 12 pack and 100 bucks from them .

I have a few customers who are out of the office often, all I do is tell them this is my 5 o clock pick up Every day at this adress. I will be there plus or minus 15 min, if you need it bad you know where to find me.

But ya. These slopes get real slippery real fast

you need to straighten up your game man... you look like a lazy asz driver doing it that way
They trying to make money for us too, look at it that way... we all win

margaritaville

This one house says "Call and wait for instructions" on the door. I always DR it. The word "wait" is enough for me to say :censored2: that. And i don't want to give my number out. I don't want to give my number out to anyone or they could harass me off hours asking something UPS related. Or ask me to come back once i already left.

Last edited:

govols019

You smell that?
I have a pickup that has a note in the DIAD to call before I show up....nope. I made it clear when they moved to my route that I would not be calling ahead.

Faceplanted

you need to straighten up your game man... you look like a lazy asz driver doing it that way
They trying to make money for us too, look at it that way... we all win
They are not making money for me, they are giving a company that already profits billions a quarter and makes my sales guy money. The same sales guy I turn in leads to and is too lazy to follow them up with urgency. Years ago when I started driving, I used to give my number to customers. they assumed they were my only customer, called me for favors all the time, bothered me interrupting a craps game when I was in Vegas with no sleep drunk as all hell on my vacation to ask if I knew when the cover driver was gonna get there. That is straight disrespect and I don't play that. They think we are their slave and they are our only customer. Like i said, on my bid route 2 customers have my number, everybody else can call ups, deal with my oms, and they are more than welcomed to meet me at one if my pick ups, otherwise they can to kick rocks. My 2 customers who have my number respect me and vica versa, most customers don't. I hate people calling my personal phone, customers are even worse.

Customers are like dogs sadly, if you use pavlovS dog method and reinforce their negative behavior they won't stop

Live and learn, I have some of you guys haven't

Last edited:

porkwagon

This one house says "Call and wait for instructions" on the door. I always DR it. The word "wait" is enough for me to say :censored2: that. And i don't want to give my number out. I don't want to give my number out to anyone or they could harass me off hours asking something UPS related. Or ask me to come back once i already left.
What? A note? I don't read notes.