Interesting Conversation While Siting in My Broken Down Package Car

guinness413

..so i just finish my airs,its around 10:15 my truck wont accelerate..sounds fine,creeps ahead in Drive but no power..i pull off into a strip mall parking lot and call center(from pay phone)..

Me: Hi,this is "guinness413" my package car broke down can i have the mechanic shop please.
Morning whatever she does phone girl : ok hold on
wait about 2 minutes..
MWSDPG: uhm,the mechanic just went on lunch..
Me: ok.send me a message when he can talk
MWSDPG: whats wrong with the truck?
Me: it wont accelerate,the gas pedal is not working
MWSDPG:ok hold on
wait about 2 minutes
MWSDPG: "Supervisor X" said to look under the hood and see what the cable line to the pedal looks like and reattach it if it is loose
Me: no,im not a mechanic
MWSDPG: ok hold on
wait 2 minutes
MWSDPG: Supervisor X said to take lunch
Me: No,ive only been on the road 2 hours
MWSDPG:X says you have to
Me: no i dont
MWSDPG: ok but you have to work thru your lunch later
MWSDPG: hold on
wait about 2 more minutes
MWSDPG:can you please take lunch
Me:No thanks,im not near anything and its too early
MWSDPG: somebody will be out to switch trucks with you
Me:cool
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
so im about 25 minutes from my center..i wait a good 40 more minutes until a truck pulls in driven by the mechanic...he looks under the hood,says there is no cable issue,its electronics...we have to switch my fully loaded 700 into the empty 500 he drove out..he says sarcastically,you are not a mechanic,im not a driver,you switch the load yourself..i was like cool,"cha-ching"..so another 40 minutes pass and im done loading up the 500,the mechanic is cracking up laughing,the tow truck guy who came to tow him in 20 minutes ago and had to wait until it was offloaded is screaming on his cellphone about crappy UPS,and im 1 1/2 hours behind schedule....of course it was friday when they eliminate 2 Bid routes and send every driver out with 30 more stops ..turned my ipod player up with some Dropkick Murphys,and put it in cruise control all day..did my 16.9 every hour,responded to all the threatening messages all day with a polite"i will do the best i can".knocked on my last door at 9:05,got back,punched out at 9:50..id say it was a productive day....i might come off prickish with this post,but i wont bend over one inch for this company anymore..these people try to harass,intimidate,and violate myself and others on a daily basis(and get away with it from weak union employees).....i come in,work as directed,do my job but i just dont care anymore..it is very sad,i was so proud to work for UPS for the longest time ( i started in March of 88)..

TheDick

Yeah ur a prick, but i bet you wouldnt be one if OOPS didnt provoke you to be one in the first place!
Internally speaking Its not about service, its about enforcing the contract when forced to do so. WAD and explain urself with shop steward following morning with TXT messages about exactly what u where directed todo the day before. I find the CTM are also frustrated beyond feasability so they also are letting things fail to the point we are pushinglosing pick-up accts to use FDX. Thats the only numbers on paper that division on up understand.

Then maybe we'll come back begging and give them nerf frisbees and chiclets when FDX takes customers to the box @the ballpark for NFL or MLB games. That'll get u a SIG on a contract.

klein

Für Meno :)
Gee, when the Sup asked you to take lunch for the 2nd time, with saying "NO", you should have also said you wanted your quarter back for the payphone you used ! :)

Leftinbuilding

Once had a mechanic supervisor tell me to try to push start, by myself, an old P400. It was on a Friday and he asked if I wanted to get home early or wait for help. I don't think he misunderstood my response.

A

anonymous6

can someone say " have their cake and eat it too?"

it's the same ol neverending story.

ymelord

I know exactly what your saying I just don't care anymore. If it gets done cool if it doesn't who cares not my problem. Never used to be that way, but last 3 years have it taken out of me.

dirty moose

.i might come off prickish with this post,but i wont bend over one inch for this company anymore..these people try to harass,intimidate,and violate myself and others on a daily basis(and get away with it from weak union employees).....i come in,work as directed,do my job but i just dont care anymore..it is very sad,i was so proud to work for UPS for the longest time ( i started in March of 88)..

Nor should you bend for them, they don't bend for you!
Way to stand up for your self.

TheKid

Hey Guinness413,
I put on that I liked your post but that does not tell the whole story. I loved it. Good for you. "take your lunch at 10:30 . . . ". Go eat a bowl of #&@$. You are my new hero. By the way. . we have a new saying in Local 653 . . . we call it the "Goodfellas approach" . . . When things are going bad we just say Pay Me

packageguy

..so i just finish my airs,its around 10:15 my truck wont accelerate..sounds fine,creeps ahead in Drive but no power..i pull off into a strip mall parking lot and call center(from pay phone)..

Me: Hi,this is "guinness413" my package car broke down can i have the mechanic shop please.
wait about 2 minutes..
wait about 2 minutes
MWSDPG: "Supervisor X" said to look under the hood and see what the cable line to the pedal looks like and reattach it if it is loose
wait 2 minutes
so im about 25 minutes from my center..i wait a good 40 more minutes until a truck pulls in driven by the mechanic...he looks under the hood,says there is no cable issue,its electronics...we have to switch my fully loaded 700 into the empty 500 he drove out..he says sarcastically,you are not a mechanic,im not a driver,you switch the load yourself..i was like cool,"cha-ching"..so another 40 minutes pass and im done loading up the 500,the mechanic is cracking up laughing,the tow truck guy who came to tow him in 20 minutes ago and had to wait until it was offloaded is screaming on his cellphone about crappy UPS,and im 1 1/2 hours behind schedule....of course it was friday when they eliminate 2 Bid routes and send every driver out with 30 more stops ..turned my ipod player up with some Dropkick Murphys,and put it in cruise control all day..did my 16.9 every hour,responded to all the threatening messages all day with a polite"i will do the best i can".knocked on my last door at 9:05,got back,punched out at 9:50..id say it was a productive day....i might come off prickish with this post,but i wont bend over one inch for this company anymore..these people try to harass,intimidate,and violate myself and others on a daily basis(and get away with it from weak union employees).....i come in,work as directed,do my job but i just dont care anymore..it is very sad,i was so proud to work for UPS for the longest time ( i started in March of 88)..

I love it, you did the right thing. Now if we can 90% of us drivers to do what you did, this company would not treat us the way they treat us now. My hat off to you. thank you for standing up for yourself.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

wait about 2 minutes..
wait about 2 minutes
wait 2 minutes

I don't understand the point.

Your car breaks down unexpectedly. You won't cooperate, so then the mechanic won't cooperate and then the center won't cooperate. Seems like everyone lost, including you and the customer.

Is it possible that if you had been a little more cooperative, the mechanic and the center may have been more cooperative and things would have turned out better for everyone?

What do you think will happen when you make a mistake and the management team gets to decide your fate?

over9five

Staff member
How did he not cooperate???

It wasn't his contractual lunch time.
He is not a mechanic.

And he made a lot of money that day. Sounds like it all worked out great!

"What do you think will happen when you make a mistake and the management team gets to decide your fate?"
Are you suggesting his management team would hold it against him that it wasn't his lunch time and he's not a mechanic? Are you suggesting they'd act in an unethical manner?

Your car breaks down unexpectedly. You won't cooperate, so then the mechanic won't cooperate and then the center won't cooperate. Seems like everyone lost, including you and the customer.

Is it possible that if you had been a little more cooperative, the mechanic and the center may have been more cooperative and things would have turned out better for everyone?

What do you think will happen when you make a mistake and the management team gets to decide your fate?
I think the point he is trying to make is that he has had enough as have most other ALLSTAR employees who might have bent in the past. It's a broke system right now at United Parcel and when the guys who have done it forever without as much as a bitch here or there have given up and they know how to do the job by the book. Well that the bed they have come to grips with and just don't care that they have to lie in anymore. So everyone has there breaking point. Its just business anymore

ymelord

No breaks from management anymore, that's why nobody cares. It's a sad state of affairs, everyman for himself.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The only problem with "cooperating" with UPS is that it is usually a one-way street.

Was the company "cooperating" when it "eliminated two bid routes and sent everybody out with 30 more stops?"

Is the company "cooperating" when it dispatches routes in 25 yr old POS cars with no power steering?

Is the company "cooperating" when IE rigs your time allowance to be an hour behind reality in order to coerce you into skipping your lunch to meet an impossible standard?

Is the company "cooperating" when it threatens your job over "accidents" such as a cracked mirror, a broken tree limb or a tire mark on the grass?

I will go the extra mile to "cooperate" with someone who shows me the same courtesy. But I guess thats just me.

ymelord

The only problem with "cooperating" with UPS is that it is usually a one-way street.

Was the company "cooperating" when it "eliminated two bid routes and sent everybody out with 30 more stops?"

Is the company "cooperating" when it dispatches routes in 25 yr old POS cars with no power steering?

Is the company "cooperating" when IE rigs your time allowance to be an hour behind reality in order to coerce you into skipping your lunch to meet an impossible standard?

I will go the extra mile to "cooperate" with someone who shows me the same courtesy. But I guess thats just me.

Going the extra mile for customers and the company, that's what made this company great, and lack of is definitely hurting the company now.

Re-Raise

I thought telematics was implemented to monitor the vehicle and anticipate problems before they happened. That was why it was implemented right?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

Ummmm....let's see....Id bet they would do what they already do and say "It's out of my hands, the decision has already been made by my boss so there's not much I can do. I'm really sorry."

People at the center level don't have any input in these decisions, just ask them. People who do make them don't care how many favors the driver did or did not do.

Last edited by a moderator: