Interesting Conversation While Siting in My Broken Down Package Car

tourists24

You guys (not necessarily you Dave) still prerecord? The only time I ever prerecord is for multiple stops left at one address. Never got into the habit of it.
We are instructed NOT to prerecord anymore. You must be at the correct address before sheeting packages up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are instructed NOT to prerecord anymore. You must be at the correct address before sheeting packages up.

So what would you have done during the time that he was waiting for the mechanic?

I do not prerecord during the course of my day as it does not save time; but, if I were sitting for an hour waiting for the mechanic, I would have had the car sorted and the bulk stops prerecorded.

I agree that he should not have been asked to take lunch but I can understand why the supervisor made the request.

tourists24

So what would you have done during the time that he was waiting for the mechanic?
I would have kept as busy as possible given the situation. Probably gone through the load to see if there were any misloads. Maybe kind of line up my stops but perfection would be futile since you will be switching it out anyway. Other than that depending on how far away from the center I was mgt should immediatley get another truck out there.

guinness413

BBH, it was his attitude about the situation that put him behind the 8-ball so to speak. Had he been more cooperative the center would have been more incllned to send him help.

I wonder how he used the down time. Did he sort his load? Did he prerecord any bulk stops? I bet he sat there and waited for help to arrive. If that was the case, why should any of the drivers in his loop be sent to help him?

i was near a 7-11,i got a slurpee,they have this new cup and straw combo that lets you put 2 flavors in 1 cup..awesome....as for sorting the load,i knew id have to offload it anyway,so no i didnt..and the only bulk i had was abot 75 for mthe post office,but it was mostly in smalls bags..and why would another driver who was over dispatched also want to help?..we all work until 800 every night, :censored2:e is getting old but i will take the cash.....looking at a nice 26 foot Crownline for next year...

Re-Raise

Isn't there a code in the board for vehicle breakdown? I would think the time you spend waiting for the replacemant truck and moving the packages over would be recorded as that.

I would have moved the packages to the rear of the truck while I waited so I could move them over quicker, but I wouldn't have put it in as lunch either.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
You don't have to be a mechanic to open the hood, jump start a truck, wiggle a wire or follow simple instructions. Common sense and cooperation probably could have averted the entire fiasco. It certainly could have made it less severe.

I agree that cooperation can be a one way street, but you are guaranteed to get resistance and grief if you don't cooperate. Sometimes when you cooperate it works out. Try cussing out a cop while asking for a break. Not cooperating with the authorities, whether its a cop, a judge, a referee, your boss or anyone else in charge rarely ever works out in your favor, especially when you work with them everyday.

As far a discipline goes, the lowest form that is effective is what is prescribed. If you're a jerk and won't cooperate, you're like going to get the maximum. If you respond favorably to a simple verbal request, that's often the end of it.

Who's hand is it in...your own. Make your call and live with it. Just don't be surprised when you see a cooperative person get off with a warning, while an uncooperative trouble maker gets a termination (or a few extra tickets, fines, penalties in the case of a cop, judge, or referee) for the same offense.

over9five

Staff member
If he had opened the hood, would the mechanic have helped him deliver the packages?

Remember it would have done no good, the problem was with the electronics.

tourists24

You don't have to be a mechanic to open the hood, jump start a truck, wiggle a wire or follow simple instructions. Common sense and cooperation probably could have averted the entire fiasco. It certainly could have made it less severe.

I agree that cooperation can be a one way street, but you are guaranteed to get resistance and grief if you don't cooperate. Sometimes when you cooperate it works out. Try cussing out a cop while asking for a break. Not cooperating with the authorities, whether its a cop, a judge, a referee, your boss or anyone else in charge rarely ever works out in your favor, especially when you work with them everyday.

As far a discipline goes, the lowest form that is effective is what is prescribed. If you're a jerk and won't cooperate, you're like going to get the maximum. If you respond favorably to a simple verbal request, that's often the end of it.

Who's hand is it in...your own. Make your call and live with it. Just don't be surprised when you see a cooperative person get off with a warning, while an uncooperative trouble maker gets a termination (or a few extra tickets, fines, penalties in the case of a cop, judge, or referee) for the same offense.
Its this kind of attitude that gives drivers the exact mindset that has been shown in this thread. You want respect you need to give it. Drivers are held to the highest standards every day. Mgt should be also

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
If he had opened the hood, would the mechanic have helped him deliver the packages?

Remember it would have done no good, the problem was with the electronics.

Not sure it the mechanic would have helped deliver, but he would have likely at least helped unload it if the driver made a reasonable effort. Not only is there lack of cooperation with management, but the driver and the mechanic are working against each other too. So much for sticking up for the good olé union partner.

May have been a simple problem to resolve...happens often. Theres a bulletin floating around about this issue. Same thing happened to my personal truck (no it's not a UPS truck, but it has the same engine in it). Don't remember the exact sequence, but a certain number turns of the ign switch combined with fuel pedal stokes reset the computer. Dealer told me how to do it over the phone. Of course, the dealer probably wouldn't have helped me if I acted like a jerk.

tourists24

Not sure it the mechanic would have helped deliver, but he would have likely at least helped unload it if the driver made a reasonable effort. Not only is there lack of cooperation with management, but the driver and the mechanic are working against each other too. So much for sticking up for the good olé union partner.

May have been a simple problem to resolve...happens often. Theres a bulletin floating around about this issue. Same thing happened to my personal truck (no it's not a UPS truck, but it has the same engine in it). Don't remember the exact sequence, but a certain number turns of the ign switch combined with fuel pedal stokes reset the computer. Dealer told me how to do it over the phone. Of course, the dealer probably wouldn't have helped me if I acted like a jerk.
Im sorry,,, that training wasnt at a PCM.... we arent supposed to think, just memorize the 5 seeing habits etc and follow the methods to a "t"

UnconTROLLed

perfection

The last I checked, the Mechanics are not part of the bargaining unit ( at least here ). No way in hell I am allowing a mechanic to move packages between trucks or even entertaining the thought of asking. How about another driver?

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Well out here we have to take our lunches between the 4th and 6th hours..(State Law)...

As it was an electronics problems, I'm sure the throttle was "drive by wire", there was nothing the driver could do.

A better question to ask is What happens when the shareholders and customers tire of the management team's constant, duplicate, mistakes.
I don't understand the point.

Your car breaks down unexpectedly. You won't cooperate, so then the mechanic won't cooperate and then the center won't cooperate. Seems like everyone lost, including you and the customer.

Is it possible that if you had been a little more cooperative, the mechanic and the center may have been more cooperative and things would have turned out better for everyone?

What do you think will happen when you make a mistake and the management team gets to decide your fate?

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
You hit the nail on the head....

That's the way management here thinks. Never mind the deleted routes, substandard loads and crappy dispatch which has you all over the place.

If you don't break standard, 'YOU ARE STEALING FROM US!"
I wonder how he used the down time. Did he sort his load? Did he prerecord any bulk stops? I bet he sat there and waited for help to arrive. If that was the case, why should any of the drivers in his loop be sent to help him?

that's part of the problem right there. we are ALL thought to be liars, lazy, and cheats. false assumptions par for the course.[/QUOTE]

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
We too have been instructed never to prerecord. The DIAD GPS transceiver takes three position checks when a package is delivered. When the package is scanned, when a signature is entered or DR selection made, and when the stop is completed.
An average of these three is used to show where the package was delivered.

That's what IE told us. So always scan, get signatures/DR and stop complete at the residence/business so there's no question when the follow ups come.

Just working as directed.

I do not prerecord during the course of my day as it does not save time; but, if I were sitting for an hour waiting for the mechanic, I would have had the car sorted and the bulk stops prerecorded.

I agree that he should not have been asked to take lunch but I can understand why the supervisor made the request.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The last I checked, the Mechanics are not part of the bargaining unit ( at least here ). No way in hell I am allowing a mechanic to move packages between trucks or even entertaining the thought of asking. How about another driver?

Are you kidding me? You are already an hour behind, the mechanic offers to help and you say, "thanks, but no thanks"? You would rather inconvenience another driver when there is help available at your location.

Yet people wonder why I am not a Joe Union.

menotyou

bella amicizia

I have given til my teeth hurt. Actually, til my neck and back hurt, literally. I have worked 15 hour days in 100 degree heat with 100% humidity. Without complaining, or demanding my contractual rights. Why? Because my manager asked a favor.
I have worked in 40 below with 40 mile an hour winds with the doors open on preload when I could have demanded they let us go upstairs in the warmth while they fix the doors. Why? Because my preload sup, at the time, asked nicely and treated us fairly.

That is not the case, anymore. So, don't expect me to go out of my way, anymore. As for the mechanic working outside of his trade, and the driver working outside of his trade, DUH?
I am not a mechanic. I buy nice cars with warranties in my personal life, so I don't wiggle wires at home. Why would I at work? Girls like grease on guys, not ourselves.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Are you kidding me? You are already an hour behind, the mechanic offers to help and you say, "thanks, but no thanks"? You would rather inconvenience another driver when there is help available at your location.

Yet people wonder why I am not a Joe Union.

I thought the mechanic DIDN'T offer to help because Guinness didn't wiggle the wire?