Interesting Package Routing

JustTired

free at last.......
As far as picking a package up and delivering it all in the same day. Wouldn't that be Sonic Air, a service that is charged a premium?

When a driver takes it upon themselves to upgrade a package for same day delivery. They are then making management decisions. I choose to leave that to the suits and ties for how else are we to justify their existance?

Don't think Sonic Air was in existence back then.

Besides, if I had taken it back with my pickups I would probably been accused of hiding a 'missed pkg' in the load.

You're right, though. I should have gotten permission from management first. You could do that back then. Today, it would go like this:

center manager: I'll get back with you on that. (makes call to division mgr) Hey..can my driver deliver a pkg on the same day he picked it up?

Division mgr: I'll get back with you on that. (makes call to district mgr) Hey..can a driver deliver a pkg on the same day he picked it up?

District mgr: I'll get back with you on that. (makes call to regional mgr) Hey..can a driver deliver a pkg on the same day he picked it up?

Regional mgr: I'll get back with you on that. (makes call to Atlanta) Hey..can a driver deliver a pkg on the same day he picked it up?

Atlanta: IE is crunching the numbers...they should have an answer by tomorrow.

.........and so it goes!!

over9five

Staff member
"can my driver deliver a pkg on the same day he picked it up?"

No. Because you would be giving away a service that the customer didn't pay for.

LKLND3380

It's a package I ordered from Amazon with next day delivery. It shipped on Saturday, got to Oakland, went to Louisville, and now is in transit back to Oakland. :confused:1

I guess there must be a reason behind it, but it just does not make much sense. :lol:

The reason is to have service failure of a NDA...

LKLND3380

Allot of people in the medical field like DHL because they'll do the same thing you did only they don't get in trouble for it. My dentist used to work outside of Atlanta and would order dental equipment from a company that just happened to be pretty close to his office. The same driver that would pick up the products would later deliver them the same day. My dentist asked me why we don't do that and I just rolled my eyes and laughed. I've had the opportunity to do that a few times but I knew better. If we are going to have take such pickups back to the building instead of deliverying them then management should at least keep them there instead of sending out to another hub just so they can get their precious "numbers."

In our building if there are send againg left in the car from the previous day, they must be taken out and sent around to be re spa'd so we get those "numbers..."
So from the 4000 shelf it goes and comes back to the 4000 shelf...:thumbup1:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
On a somewhat related note....Once I picked up a pkg (ground) in the morning that was going elsewhere on my area in the afternoon.

I was a helper in Denver during Peak '06. My driver and I were doing pickups when my driver laughed as he threw a small into the rear. I asked what was so funny. He shook his head and said, "That package? Its going two blocks that way," and pointed one direction. I asked if we were going to deliver it and he shook his head, saying, "The boss'll have a fit if we do." Next day, when he picked me up, he showed me the same package. I shook my head in disgust.

In our building if there are send againg left in the car from the previous day, they must be taken out and sent around to be re spa'd so we get those "numbers..."

Not here. I unloaded a package car in my building and was told to leave the Send Agains exactly where the driver put them. Not sure if they're pulled off by preloaders.

When a driver takes it upon themselves to upgrade a package for same day delivery. They are then making management decisions. I choose to leave that to the suits and ties for how else are we to justify their existance?

LOL. Some part-time supes and I have been having issues lately. I decided I'd had enough of doing their jobs for them as far as knowing where the load started, etc. One of them came into my container today and said, "Hey, where did the wall start? About here?" and put his toes where he thought it was. I'd taken casual notice of where it was when I'd started but told him, "Hey, remember? I'm just another dumb*** hourly. Why are you asking ME that question??" Later on, he asked me another question and I told him, "What do I look like? A supe? I'm just a dumb*** hourly!" His smile faded and he said, "No, you're not a dumb***. Why would you say that?" We had a discussion that was a couple weeks overdue. UPS management--particularly part-time supe's--can be waaaaay out in left field but they are human. They have ears. The message may not get through everytime but I think I'll continue to try. -Rocky