Invited to VP Sam Nesbitt conference call

Oldfart

Hilarious when you put it in the context of what I observed. An unnamed (here) FedEx VP "retired" and is now a self-employed handyman in an upscale community that was on my route. Still a nice guy, happier than he's ever been. But quite a fall from grace.
Fall from grace? The guy most likely is drawing well into 6 figures while in retirement and likes keeping busy and fixing things? I call that an excellent retirement.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Personally, I liked Sam Nesbit when he came to my station for a skip level meeting. He’s from the Bronyx and very approachable. I told him I was going to talk to him like the guy in the truck next to me. Lol.

Sam is good people. Only times I've ever known him to nearly lose his cool is when he hears about managers or seniors being disrespectful to their underlings. It's also a trait that he instills (or attempts to instill) into his MDs.

59 Dano

He got put in mod queue because he couldn’t play nice with others and decided he didn’t want to play anymore.

I would still bet a decent chunk that he is a certain terminated employee who never got over it that has posted about his experiences elsewhere on the web. If not, he is/was a friend of that person. It's not possible to distinguish the term'd employee's works from those of MFE. Same reasoning, same concepts, and sometimes the same verbiage.

snowcat66

So had the conference call 0630 this morn. rough part was getting up that early. lol. It was as I suspected. All the districts in the East with selected members to chime in and ask Sam any question concerning Fedex topics. Took awhile just to take roll call. You had to be fast to unmute the speaker and ask a question. I got one in and was satisfied. basically he spent the first 20 min talking up Fedex and how well we are doing as a company and our bright future ahead. Upper management showing they care in real time...

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So had the conference call 0630 this morn. rough part was getting up that early. lol. It was as I suspected. All the districts in the East with selected members to chime in and ask Sam any question concerning Fedex topics. Took awhile just to take roll call. You had to be fast to unmute the speaker and ask a question. I got one in and was satisfied. basically he spent the first 20 min talking up Fedex and how well we are doing as a company and our bright future ahead. Upper management showing they care in real time...
Yep. Typical meeting. Waste of time except the time you’re paid for.

vantexan

Otherwise it's couriers complaining about lack of access to upper management that's out of touch because they have no interaction with couriers.
Or couriers were so BSed in the past that they're totally cynical about any efforts to include them in the process.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Otherwise it's couriers complaining about lack of access to upper management that's out of touch because they have no interaction with couriers.
Or it's upper management staging a skip level to corroborate their posturing that they seek input from couriers, when the reality is no difficult questions are entertained.
If they were sincerely interested in the courier viewpoint, they would spend the occasional day getting the courier experience.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
.....basically he spent the first 20 min talking up Fedex and how well we are doing as a company and our bright future ahead. Upper management showing they care in real time...
yeah I remember them telling us the exact same crap decades ago - and then we just watched as our benefits and pension started getting chiseled away - one by one, piece by piece. It was the frog in the boiling pot of water effect.
The future’s so bright, I gotta wear shades!.....or is it actually those things cataract patients have to wear right after surgery?

MassWineGuy

I wish I were invited to this. I also kind of like Sam. But I’d definitely ask questions. “If we care so much about safety, why can non-DOT drivers work over 70 hours a week?”

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well one hour every 5 years with multiple couriers trying to get a solitary question in isn't what I call great interaction. More like going through the motions.

59 Dano

Or it's upper management staging a skip level to corroborate their posturing that they seek input from couriers, when the reality is no difficult questions are entertained.

Such as?

If they were sincerely interested in the courier viewpoint, they would spend the occasional day getting the courier experience.

Not sure what that would accomplish, as most of those with a courier background did the job when the job was harder and expectations were higher.

59 Dano

I wish I were invited to this. I also kind of like Sam. But I’d definitely ask questions. “If we care so much about safety, why can non-DOT drivers work over 70 hours a week?”

And now you know why these meetings aren't so frequent.

59 Dano

Well one hour every 5 years with multiple couriers trying to get a solitary question in isn't what I call great interaction. More like going through the motions.

Have you ever heard some of the non-"going through the motions" interactions?