Is 5 days of scratch actually mandatory

holdingmybreath

I had 130 at first which I struggled with cause I wasn’t organized but I now I’m running 165 stops with 6 pickups. I scratched last Thursday was over by literally a minute on Friday so idk if they’ll count it but I scratched today for sure. I think just need 2 or 3 more days in row but every time I’m close to 5 in a row I’ll get a random ods pickups or message right around 4 o’clock as if they’re doing it on purpose it’s very frustrating but I’m not giving up
You're good man don't worry about, just keep doing what you're doing now and stay safe for the remainder of your packet. If you don't make it at this point they had it out for you and you likely never were going to make it.

Cloud

There wasn't even a such thing as "scratching" during my first 30 days because everytime I got done with my baby route, they had me go help somebody or do a UPS store pickup.

Cowboy Mac

Sometimes the managers will make exceptions if they really like a trainee. Keep in mind though, if you don’t complete your 30 days by October 15, you can’t gain seniority until after peak. So I would make sure you’re working every day.

They make exceptions....we had one make it with 4 days scratch. They gave two people qualifying 20 day extensions...I just graduated today on my 28th day or so.

Don't worry, long as you show improvement each day...it will work out. My first day making scratch was day 15...then I made scratch for 9 or 10 days in a row after that. Hell, I was 1.5 hours under one day...no idea how. Now it's time to slow down and make some money. You'll get there.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If they like you you'll qualify, if they don't you won't. They'll use numbers to justify whatever decision they make but ultimately what matters the most is if they like you or not. They like the kind of drivers that they think are gonna help them out at peak, they don't like the kind of drivers that are gonna run 2 hours over and file a lot of grievances. You got 30 days to convince them that you're the first kind.
and on day 31 you become the second kind

542thruNthru

They make exceptions....we had one make it with 4 days scratch. They gave two people qualifying 20 day extensions...I just graduated today on my 28th day or so.

Don't worry, long as you show improvement each day...it will work out. My first day making scratch was day 15...then I made scratch for 9 or 10 days in a row after that. Hell, I was 1.5 hours under one day...no idea how. Now it's time to slow down and make some money. You'll get there.
I never made scratch.

specter208

I had 130 at first which I struggled with cause I wasn’t organized but I now I’m running 165 stops with 6 pickups. I scratched last Thursday was over by literally a minute on Friday so idk if they’ll count it but I scratched today for sure. I think just need 2 or 3 more days in row but every time I’m close to 5 in a row I’ll get a random ods pickups or message right around 4 o’clock as if they’re doing it on purpose it’s very frustrating but I’m not giving up
I had about the same when I did my 30 days. I was finishing about 1.5-2 hours before pick ups and the time not doing anything was hurting the numbers. They gave more stops to make me get scratch. And then for few weeks it was 200 stops. This was last year when Covid volume was really high.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Sounds like your doing great, I would only advise that you take a real lunch break. A question at some point would be do you plan to work or drive through your lunch breaks for the remainder of your career. Other then that sounds like your on way to qualifying, don't get into any accidents.
I know as a new driver you are skipping your lunch to have that extra time, but take 10 minutes here and there to just recoup. It will add up in the end.

I’m doing bulk stops with 700+ pieces a day on my 30 in a straight truck and a lot of overweight/oversized pieces. Also my buildings be having a lot of returns. It’s impossible to finish my route like 4pm like they want. I usually get done by 6pm. Is it fair to not be on a normal route and be driving a straight truck instead of a package car on your 30?

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
I’m doing bulk stops with 700+ pieces a day on my 30 in a straight truck and a lot of overweight/oversized pieces. Also my buildings be having a lot of returns. It’s impossible to finish my route like 4pm like they want. I usually get done by 6pm. Is it fair to not be on a normal route and be driving a straight truck instead of a package car on your 30?
Nothing's fair.

Enjoy those dump stops while you can in that straight truck.

It always comes to an end eventually...

Then you miss it.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Hell if I know anymore. There used to be rules when you were in your 30 like if they modified your dispatch at all from what was considered the “training route” you automatically qualified. Same if you delivered a missort. Bottom line is is it fair? Probably not but hey, welcome to UPS.

Hell if I know anymore. There used to be rules when you were in your 30 like if they modified your dispatch at all from what was considered the “training route” you automatically qualified. Same if you delivered a missort. Bottom line is is it fair? Probably not but hey, welcome to UPS.
They modify my route almost everyday. They add/remove stops.