Is a Degree worth anything at UPS?

code5

I have a degree in HR that I got through the educational assistance program when it was in place for drivers. I always figured that would be my next step in this company when my region added an HR person. Instead, they outsource the position on 6 month terms. I laugh in discust when rejects are hired thinking all we do is drive a truck all day, or are promised something upon hired, then those promises cannot be fullfilled because the person hiring really doesn't know our operation.

Oh well, the company saves many on the HR wage - but turns a blind eye to the cost of employee turnover.

klein

Für Meno :)
First of all, only degree that matters is a Driver's license !
Secondly, the younger and less experienced you are, the better !
They want mostly people that turn into robots.
So, if you are living with your parents, that's a big plus !

Robots need to be programmed and told what to do.
They do not make suggestions at all !

To be programmed it's best to have a "naked brain". It can suck up more memory, just like every computer works.

Follow your new progam, and they'll never need to (re)boot you !

Pretty simple ! :)

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
There are other opps for advancement than operations, where movement does tend to be slow. Find out what's available and put in your letter. Don't wait for them to ask you. On the other hand, if you think you'd enjoy being something of a paid athlete and can deal with the demands of the job, tell them you're interested in temping and see how you like it.

Like someone else said, talk to hr. Don't wait for them to come to you.

The folks with 30 years on you won't be around much longer. You will find yourself in demand eventually if you choose another path. In the meantime, enjoy life. Sure money's nice to make. But you don't have to lock yourself forever into today or tomorrow's decision.

Best of luck!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
No one can get promoted into management these days without a degree.
No one in HR is paid to go looking for talent, sad to say. YOU need to promote yourself! Let your full time manager know that you are interested in advancing yourself, and ask them what the best way to go about that is.
The other downside (or upside) is that the UPS areas that specializing in PR/Communications are generally at REGION/Corporate levels, so if you are in a small center in a small state, that means relocation. Of course, constantly relocating is a fact of all corporate life, not just UPS, although meaningless relocations have slowed down due to costs over the last 5 years.

Any big corporation is a soul-sucking experience. I still think UPS is better than most big corporations in that regard.

If you want advancement with less soul-sucking, look for jobs with small to medium companies, or even non-profits. Pay isn't as good, of course.

Just so you know, you have until you are 30 to figure out what you want to be when you grow up, so don't be afraid to take risks for a learning opportunity.

That is for women. Boys is age 10. :P