Is anyone bothered by ups telling its employees to go to management for hr concerns?

TeltBender

one time I got my fingers stuck in a roller because of this one package, presumably a turbo for a car. Once it recirculated I took it off, and dropped it 25 feet straight down into the sheet metal chute. People thought a bomb went off šŸ˜‚

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
By telling employees to go to management with hr concerns, this goes to show how ups treats its employees. I'm from the palatine il hub and and we have a union member that has his nose shoved so far up full time supervisors and upper managements asses that its pointless to bring concerns to them about this man. My concern was that he is purposely damaging bulk packages. Each and every single supervisor part, full and upper management claim that the packages come out of the trucks damaged. I have witnessed him breaking packages many times and have complained. Much to my dismay it falls on deaf ears. I guess it would when this guy goes fishing with upper management. So, sorry customers your not getting your expensive bulk item because ups employees have fun breaking them and get away with it. So tell me ups, who do we bring concerns too that is not biased?
Settle it in the parking lot

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
This guy gets it. The union takes my money and doesn't give a whole lot in return. I've had many jobs before UPS but never seen a company that treats its workers this poorly.

40 dollars a hour to do a job that amazon and fed ex pay 20 a hour or less and getting a pension and free healthcare is not a whole lot in return? UPS would not pay anywhere close to that without collective bargaining.

Hell, I have a skilled trade that is in high demand and I could not come close to the benefits I have here at UPS thanks to collective bargaining.

I know some will probably not like what I wrote but it is the truth. Think about it, if your a top rate driver or inside worker could you get another job for the same pay right now?

I know hub rats and drivers work hard here but people work just as hard or harder for a lot less money in non union environments.

TeltBender

40 dollars a hour to do a job that amazon and fed ex pay 20 a hour or less and getting a pension and free healthcare is not a whole lot in return? UPS would not pay anywhere close to that without collective bargaining.

Hell, I have a skilled trade that is in high demand and I could not come close to the benefits I have here at UPS thanks to collective bargaining.

I know some will probably not like what I wrote but it is the truth. Think about it, if your a top rate driver or inside worker could you get another job for the same pay right now?

I know hub rats and drivers work hard here but people work just as hard or harder for a lot less money in non union environments.
UPS pays its part timers the same if not less than what Amazon pays them. Amazon even gives them a sign on bonus. In fact, in 177 we are often getting paid more by UPS than what our own leadership negotiated for. Think about that. Scamazon is paying their employees more than what our union negotiated for.

BrownSnowFlake

Starting rate for loaders was $8.50 for what, 20 years? It didn't go up because the union negotiated for it, it went up bc UPS could no longer get bodies in the door at that rate.

This is a separate issue from the harassment and micromanaging on a scale I've personally never seen anywhere else.

542thruNthru

UPS pays its part timers the same if not less than what Amazon pays them. Amazon even gives them a sign on bonus. In fact, in 177 we are often getting paid more by UPS than what our own leadership negotiated for. Think about that. Scamazon is paying their employees more than what our union negotiated for.
Tell them to go work for Amazon then and see how quickly they realize how much more they get from the union than just pay.

3ArrowsPointingDown.gif

Applied for Amazon back when I was PT with UPS, worst job I've ever worked, it is nothing like UPS package Handler. They put all the fresh meat at stowing, they walk around with containers packed with small items and put them at your designated station, you take the items from the bin, scan them and place them in a designated pouch of a cubbie. Seems easy until you realize it's Amazon and every cubbie the robots bring to you is already jam packed with :censored2:.

And good luck sneaking away to go to the bathroom, you'll get written up. You 2 scans per hour behind the average? Written up. You get watched 24/7, everything you do is tracked and no protection from management whatsoever.

They want you stowing 250 items an hour....

A RPCD buddy of mineā€™s wife got on as a amazon driver last peak and has kept the job, boy is it a sh** show operation; the stories she tells us are ridiculous. Drive all the way to the station, wait an hour, get sent home with show up pay.
20 minutes later get the call that your show up pay will not happen and you need to come do a 4 hour block to get paid for the day
3 day schedule on week and the next they ask her for 7 WORK DAYS šŸ˜‚
But thereā€™s so much turnover that even though she stands up to them they literally canā€™t fire her.
Makes me feel lucky to be a teamster, even though no camp seems to be without itā€™s own corruption these days

542thruNthru

"I'm not satisfied with the representation the union is giving me"
"Go work at Amazon then (we're never organizing them anyways)."

How are you this out of touch?
No I'm pointing out you think working for Amazon is better than what the union gets us.

It sounds more like you're the one out of touch.

You're not satisfied than do something. Oh wait, in your mind you are because you're complaining on a forum.

TeltBender

Tell them to go work for Amazon then and see how quickly they realize how much more they get from the union than just pay.
When I worked at Amazon I was never disciplined once, I came to work did my job to the best of my ability and went home. I was routinely given bonuses for my work ethic at Amazon. I left because I disliked the hours.

BrownSnowFlake

No I'm pointing out you think working for Amazon is better than what the union gets us.
I never said that. @TeltBender said something like that a few posts up. What I said is that I don't pay dues every month to be told "If you don't like it, there's the door." I could get that for free.

I'll remember this the next time one of them Right-To-Work laws comes around.

Screw you.

542thruNthru

I never said that. @TeltBender said something like that a few posts up. What I said is that I don't pay dues every month to be told "If you don't like it, there's the door." I could get that for free.

I'll remember this the next time one of them Right-To-Work laws comes around.

Screw you.
No you pay dues to have a voice through the grievance system and vote on what you do or do not like.

Vote RTW all you want. It won't be me you're screwing. It will be you.

TeltBender

No you pay dues to have a voice through the grievance system and vote on what you do or do not like.

Vote RTW all you want. It won't be me you're screwing. It will be you.
When my company is paying me more than what my union ā€œnegotiated hard forā€, thatā€™s when I know my union isnā€™t doing enough for me. The union doesnā€™t care for part timers.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
When my company is paying me more than what my union ā€œnegotiated hard forā€, thatā€™s when I know my union isnā€™t doing enough for me. The union doesnā€™t care for part timers.
They care for the union dues

BrownSnowFlake

have a voice through the grievance system
My union hall couldn't even give me my steward's phone number. I'd have to track him down in the building to talk about a grievance. But why bother? Filing one sounds like a good way to put a target on your back.
vote on what you do or do not like.
You mean like the last contract, where most of the votes cast were against it, but it got approved anyways on a technicality?

TeltBender

My union hall couldn't even give me my steward's phone number. I'd have to track him down in the building to talk about a grievance. But why bother? Filing one sounds like a good way to put a target on your back.
In my building they will find a way to fire people who file supes working grievances.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Starting rate for loaders was $8.50 for what, 20 years? It didn't go up because the union negotiated for it, it went up bc UPS could no longer get bodies in the door at that rate.

This is a separate issue from the harassment and micromanaging on a scale I've personally never seen anywhere else.

All of us in automotive and PE are hired full-time so I never had to be part time here myself but I always viewed the low pay for PT off the street as the price you pay to one day have a full time driver job. Sure, one could go work at Walmart for a little more but will you top out at.. maybe 20 a hour if your lucky.

A little less now for the chance at a 100k a year and great benefits with no education is a good deal if you can afford the low pay while you wait.

BrownSnowFlake

In my building they will find a way to fire people who file supes working grievances.
This is exactly correct. In a day with 150 stops, are you really confident that you won't cheat a single stop sign or miss the handrail once? Are you a robot? If your management team really wants to railroad you, they can send Mr. Clipboard to tail you and look for mistakes. There's a reason there's 340 Delivery Methods and it's not bc this job is complicated. There's two steps. PUT THE BOX IN THE TRUCK. TAKE THE BOX OUT OF THE TRUCK.

BrownSnowFlake

All of us in automotive and PE are hired full-time so I never had to be part time here myself but I always viewed the low pay for PT off the street as the price you pay to one day have a full time driver job. Sure, one could go work at Walmart for a little more but will you top out at.. maybe 20 a hour if your lucky.

A little less now for the chance at a 100k a year and great benefits with no education is a good deal if you can afford the low pay while you wait.
I agree with you about the opportunity to become full time. And you also have to factor in the value of the insurance (which took me a year of loading to get, now it's 90 days.) But inflation is also a thing. Paying $8.50 for over two decades was unacceptable. UPS didn't raise the starting rate bc the union bargained for it. They raised the rate bc they were losing in the labor market to Sheetz and McDonalds. I started at $8.50 and moved up to $10 when the new contract kicked in. A couple years later my building raised the starting rate to $14. My pay went up to match this (it was $12 or $13 by then). I had 4 years experience and I was making as much as a guy off the street.

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
By telling employees to go to management with hr concerns, this goes to show how ups treats its employees. I'm from the palatine il hub and and we have a union member that has his nose shoved so far up full time supervisors and upper managements asses that its pointless to bring concerns to them about this man. My concern was that he is purposely damaging bulk packages. Each and every single supervisor part, full and upper management claim that the packages come out of the trucks damaged. I have witnessed him breaking packages many times and have complained. Much to my dismay it falls on deaf ears. I guess it would when this guy goes fishing with upper management. So, sorry customers your not getting your expensive bulk item because ups employees have fun breaking them and get away with it. So tell me ups, who do we bring concerns too that is not biased?
It isn't always what you think it is. Give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you think you see him intentionally mishandling the packages but it may not be exactly what you think it is. There's so many instances I could go on about but you don't know everything. I would show compassion and approach the guy about it. It's great to see someone care about the customers the way you do, I know not everyone feels that way. Even still, try to see that it isn't always what the eyes can see.