Is ground now delivering Express freight?

yadig

lolol. Translation is a fancier way of saying if the ground donkeys who get paid like they are working in sweatshops don’t show up, just dump it all on the express drivers who get a 12 cent raise every other year.
We’re starting to run out of them employees!

fdxsux

We had a meeting with our SM and DM last night about our move to the new Ground station. Ground will be taking up to 80% of our stops in some zip codes. Almost half of our driver positions will be eliminated. The carnage would have been worse but we picked up a couple areas from nearby express stations to align our delivery areas with the areas Ground delivers. We are a small rural station with 15 or so drivers. No CSA or swing positions will be eliminated.

purplelife

We had a meeting with our SM and DM last night about our move to the new Ground station. Ground will be taking up to 80% of our stops in some zip codes. Almost half of our driver positions will be eliminated. The carnage would have been worse but we picked up a couple areas from nearby express stations to align our delivery areas with the areas Ground delivers. We are a small rural station with 15 or so drivers. No CSA or swing positions will be eliminated.
What station or area?

cosis

I figured this was coming when I seen them building a mega ground facility down the street from express. This station only has about 60 drivers, I can see them doing the same thing.

Aquaman

I figured this was coming when I seen them building a mega ground facility down the street from express. This station only has about 60 drivers, I can see them doing the same thing.
It’s no longer a rumor. Express is too big and too expensive for the volume we have now. There will still be some form of the company left. But make no mistake, they’re going to layoff A LOT of employees in the next year or 2.

fedx

Extra Large Package
It’s no longer a rumor. Express is too big and too expensive for the volume we have now. There will still be some form of the company left. But make no mistake, they’re going to layoff A LOT of employees in the next year or 2.

What do you think will happen to RTD's? Do you think they will still be around or will Ground drivers takeover that too?

zeev

Rumor is that Express will run both Express and Ground they won’t let go of the drivers they trained. Truck drivers still in high demand and Ground contractors always short of line haul drivers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
According to Dano and the other Kool-Aid drinkers here, you must be lying because that isn't what Raj is doing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We sure are training a lot of rtd’s to just lay them off.
FedEx specializes in doing stupid things. Now that “Opposite World” is reality, I’d imagine there will be some whoppers.

Hey, Dano, IWBF and vantexan. Please remind me again how nothing’s changed and all of this is legal.

Lates

FedEx specializes in doing stupid things. Now that “Opposite World” is reality, I’d imagine there will be some whoppers.

Hey, Dano, IWBF and vantexan. Please remind me again how nothing’s changed and all of this is legal.
Yes they do our station was hiring full time positions only to tell them a few weeks later they would be let go in a few months.

bbsam

Staff member

Why would it be illegal? I think you should read the small print at the bottom of an Express shipping form.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Because in MrFedEx World, it just is. Anything he doesn't like is illegal.
Again, how does FedEx Express remain an "airline" and under The RLA when a MUCH higher percentage of it's operations have ZERO to do with an airline? For the one thousandth time, how is another FDX opco legally a "Third party"? FDX manages both and is trying to pretend one is "independent". Sure.

Also, aren't you the same person that said nothing was changing and that nobody was losing their job? Remember "Express couriers are still delivering Express boxes"? Maybe some are still moving the FO and P1, but many jobs are just going away, Express stations are literally combining facilities with Ground and you pretend it's still the same basic company. Raj's separate silos are now both on Farmer Smith's farm, managed by Farmer Smith, and maintained by Farmer Smith. The corn arrives and departs by trucks, some owned by Farmer Smith but ALL ultimately managed by Farmer Smith (and Farmer Raj). Every once in awhile a plane flies over the farm, but there's not an airport within 100 miles, yet Farmer Smith gets to say his farm is really an airline and that all the workers on the farm have to pretend they work for an airline.

Sorry, I'm not buying your Yugo.

Last edited: