Is ground now delivering Express freight?

vantexan

We're not talking about 3rd party cartage agents doing ODAs or Peak freight here, and you know it. The Ground opco is part and parcel of FDX, and you know it.And, Ground delivering ANY Express packages negates the RLA. You fail to mention that the two opcos have essentially integrated operations.

But ignoring the facts and trying to obscure the truth is what company shills do. And you know it.
How do Ground employees delivering any Express packages negate the RLA status? Wasn't the RLA about preventing wildcat strikes by railroad workers because railroads were too important to national security to have constant disruptions? And when airlines came along they were included in the RLA for the same reason? So to prevent wildcat strikes they made an all encompassing union that must have a nationwide strike agreed upon by a majority vote of members. Isn't that how Express is operated today? Except they made it extremely, if not impossible, to unionize unlike the railroads. But how does the delivering of pkgs by a different opco negate the RLA status of Express? It's about an airline's importance to commerce, not who exactly is doing what at the frontline level. The RLA status is about keeping goods flowing but doesn't the company have the final say as to the best way to accomplish that?

Not defending FedEx, what they're doing sucks for Express employees. Sucks for Ground contractor employees too. UPS has an argument that the RLA gives FedEx an unfair advantage. But Express employees should've organized back in the 90's before Fred started passing money around to Congressmen. Instead topped out couriers were mollified with some nice raises and apparently thought the company was going back to its glory years. Every time this company has pushed employees to the breaking point it has gotten itself out of a jam by throwing some money at them. Then the process starts all over again. Except now it looks like they're going after the contractor model as the answer to all their profit prayers. If you can find something better you might consider a career change.

HD219

Who said they weren't? Clown.

The mistake the mouth breathers among you make is thinking that Ground taking some Express packages somehow changes what Express couriers do. It doesn't. Express couriers will still be delivering Express packages. Express can sub out some of its work to 3rd party cartage agents (as it has done for years) and it means nothing as far as the RLA is concerned.
Where did I say Express wasn't still delivering? I said we've been getting express packages for years and you called me a fraud. Express has certainly been losing volume for a long time.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How do Ground employees delivering any Express packages negate the RLA status? Wasn't the RLA about preventing wildcat strikes by railroad workers because railroads were too important to national security to have constant disruptions? And when airlines came along they were included in the RLA for the same reason? So to prevent wildcat strikes they made an all encompassing union that must have a nationwide strike agreed upon by a majority vote of members. Isn't that how Express is operated today? Except they made it extremely, if not impossible, to unionize unlike the railroads. But how does the delivering of pkgs by a different opco negate the RLA status of Express? It's about an airline's importance to commerce, not who exactly is doing what at the frontline level. The RLA status is about keeping goods flowing but doesn't the company have the final say as to the best way to accomplish that?

Not defending FedEx, what they're doing sucks for Express employees. Sucks for Ground contractor employees too. UPS has an argument that the RLA gives FedEx an unfair advantage. But Express employees should've organized back in the 90's before Fred started passing money around to Congressmen. Instead topped out couriers were mollified with some nice raises and apparently thought the company was going back to its glory years. Every time this company has pushed employees to the breaking point it has gotten itself out of a jam by throwing some money at them. Then the process starts all over again. Except now it looks like they're going after the contractor model as the answer to all their profit prayers. If you can find something better you might consider a career change.

You are actually defending FedEx, because the manner in which a package moves and the changes to the role of the employees involved has fundamentally changed. The RLA was written in 1934, well before there was anything like an "Express Carrier". It's always been the case that Fred wanted RLA classification in order to keep the chances of unionizing low. The "national disruption" garbage is pure crap, and you know it. You and Dano might have an argument in regard to the original Federal Express, where actual airplanes did all the linehaul, and CTVs were only used to ferry the product from ramp to station. That business model has been gone for about 40 years now, so perhaps both you and Dano need to work on understanding the term "Systems Integrator", which is what UPS and FedEx both are at the present time.

Ground and Express are now one, as Raj has admitted in his now famous "separate silos' comments which torpedoed any pretense of FedEx Express still being an airline. Self-loathing Right Wingers are still going to cling to the idea that this is just a "business innovation" (the FedEx rationale for combined opcos) because you hate unions and still admire Job Creator Fred.

You drink deeply of the Kool-Aid, sir.

vantexan

You are actually defending FedEx, because the manner in which a package moves and the changes to the role of the employees involved has fundamentally changed. The RLA was written in 1934, well before there was anything like an "Express Carrier". It's always been the case that Fred wanted RLA classification in order to keep the chances of unionizing low. The "national disruption" garbage is pure crap, and you know it. You and Dano might have an argument in regard to the original Federal Express, where actual airplanes did all the linehaul, and CTVs were only used to ferry the product from ramp to station. That business model has been gone for about 40 years now, so perhaps both you and Dano need to work on understanding the term "Systems Integrator", which is what UPS and FedEx both are at the present time.

Ground and Express are now one, as Raj has admitted in his now famous "separate silos' comments which torpedoed any pretense of FedEx Express still being an airline. Self-loathing Right Wingers are still going to cling to the idea that this is just a "business innovation" (the FedEx rationale for combined opcos) because you hate unions and still admire Job Creator Fred.

You drink deeply of the Kool-Aid, sir.
No, I'm not defending FedEx, I'm being honest. Of course things are done differently these days. That's why airlines came under the RLA. And I was here in 2010 saying we need a union and as I recall it was Left Wingers taking money from Fred who betrayed us. I'm not going to lie or spin because it's something I want. I'm asking you a serious question. How does FedEx having Ground delivering Express packages endanger the RLA status of Express? If Express employees are doing the pickups then what's the issue? Are you under the impression that FedEx is pulling the wool over regulators' eyes, getting away with something illegal? Fred has had the upper hand with unions since at least 2010. How's that going to change? You were right, they're going to do everything possible to maximize profit by having Ground deliver Express freight. You were saying that at least 13 years ago. Did Fred snap his fingers and it happened right away? They had to build out infrastructure to make it happen. That's where all our future raises went to. That's why our benefits were stripped. They want to get super rich and if they have to run over employees to do it they're willing. I'm not an apologist for them and I'm not going to lie for you either. Stop giving people false hope by making them think they're eventually going to get a union in because FedEx has gone too far. As soon as Congress voted against the Express Employees Relief Act it was over. The Teamsters certainly thought so.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No, I'm not defending FedEx, I'm being honest. Of course things are done differently these days. That's why airlines came under the RLA. And I was here in 2010 saying we need a union and as I recall it was Left Wingers taking money from Fred who betrayed us. I'm not going to lie or spin because it's something I want. I'm asking you a serious question. How does FedEx having Ground delivering Express packages endanger the RLA status of Express? If Express employees are doing the pickups then what's the issue? Are you under the impression that FedEx is pulling the wool over regulators' eyes, getting away with something illegal? Fred has had the upper hand with unions since at least 2010. How's that going to change? You were right, they're going to do everything possible to maximize profit by having Ground deliver Express freight. You were saying that at least 13 years ago. Did Fred snap his fingers and it happened right away? They had to build out infrastructure to make it happen. That's where all our future raises went to. That's why our benefits were stripped. They want to get super rich and if they have to run over employees to do it they're willing. I'm not an apologist for them and I'm not going to lie for you either. Stop giving people false hope by making them think they're eventually going to get a union in because FedEx has gone too far. As soon as Congress voted against the Express Employees Relief Act it was over. The Teamsters certainly thought so.
Stockholm Syndrome. You are presenting the Dano alternative facts version of what's happening. Given the huge turnover at Express I don't foresee a union nor am I trying to give people false hope. My goal, if you want to call it that, is to expose what they're doing and to create a level playing field. In other words, I'm hoping that our economic and political system isn't so beholden to FedEx money that the legally and ethically correct decision will be made to end the RLA at Express.

Think about it. Fred picked our pockets for years to buy Ground, build the infrastructure, and now pull this deal out of his butt, which has undoubtedly been in the works for at least a decade. Doesn't it make you angry that you have a crappy retirement, and "enjoyed" a continuous slashing of benefits during your employment? Profit-sharing, the Traditional Pension, Stock Purchase and on and on. Even the pathetic PPA has disappeared.

Yet you still defend the company. I don't understand.

Lates

Fedex is moving express packages to ground at our station they told us Friday they are getting rid of 10 full time couriers at the end of May. Ground will be taking a large part of our packages including P1s and was told they will make our commit times.

Gone fishin

Fedex is moving express packages to ground at our station they told us Friday they are getting rid of 10 full time couriers at the end of May. Ground will be taking a large part of our packages including P1s and was told they will make our commit times.
Ouch

MAKAVELI

What they want and what they actually get will be totally different. They'll be hiring again before peak.

Gone fishin

Wonder why they picked your station

Lates

They built a new building that is supposed to hold both ground and express before ground came out of Nashville everyday. We had been told multiple times we were not moving even though we could see the new building has an express sign on it announced we would be moving came back a week later and told us a third of full time couriers wouldn’t be going. People have the option to transfer to Nashville. When questioned if the same would happen in Nashville they just told us as of now it isn’t. Which isn’t very reassuring.

El Morado Diablo

They built a new building that is supposed to hold both ground and express before ground came out of Nashville everyday. We had been told multiple times we were not moving even though we could see the new building has an express sign on it announced we would be moving came back a week later and told us a third of full time couriers wouldn’t be going. People have the option to transfer to Nashville. When questioned if the same would happen in Nashville they just told us as of now it isn’t. Which isn’t very reassuring.

How were the 1/3 of FT employees not making the move chosen?

Lates

How were the 1/3 of FT employees not making the move chosen?
Based on the volume we would be left with. Went by seniority crappy part is our manager didn’t know it was coming and has hired full time people in the last few weeks. Swings get to stay no matter their seniority they said they are a different classification so someone hired two months ago is safe but someone several years in will be gone.

Gone fishin

Based on the volume we would be left with. Went by seniority crappy part is our manager didn’t know it was coming and has hired full time people in the last few weeks. Swings get to stay no matter their seniority they said they are a different classification so someone hired two months ago is safe but someone several years in will be gone.
It won’t last long when everything is late everyday

Lates

It won’t last long when everything is late everyday
Will last awhile they already have trouble hiring most don’t make it a year. When it does change back how long would it take to get up to full staff it’s only been the last few months we haven’t been short staffed. I am safe but for how long why stay and stress about having a job seems to be time to start looking to move on.

Gone fishin

Will last awhile they already have trouble hiring most don’t make it a year. When it does change back how long would it take to get up to full staff it’s only been the last few months we haven’t been short staffed. I am safe but for how long why stay and stress about having a job seems to be time to start looking to move on.
If you’re young enough to move I definitely would, this company is trying to go out of business

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
the manner in which a package moves and the changes to the role of the employees involved has fundamentally changed. The RLA was written in 1934, well before there was anything like an "Express Carrier". It's always been the case that Fred wanted RLA classification in order to keep the chances of unionizing low. The "national disruption" garbage is pure crap, and you know it. You and Dano might have an argument in regard to the original Federal Express, where actual airplanes did all the linehaul, and CTVs were only used to ferry the product from ramp to station. That business model has been gone for about 40 years now, so perhaps both you and Dano need to work on understanding the term "Systems Integrator", which is what UPS and FedEx both are at the present time
Why aren't you citing the relevant parts of the RLA that support what you're saying?
Why aren't you citing any relevant court/administrative decisions that support what you're saying?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It makes sense for that area. It's only 3.5 hours from MEMH and less than an hour from BNAR. I think they already get a truck straight form MEMH each day. Lots of options, and operational changes can be much easier there than at other places.

The speculation is that areas where those kind of easy changes can be made are prime candidates.

Lates

It makes sense for that area. It's only 3.5 hours from MEMH and less than an hour from BNAR. I think they already get a truck straight form MEMH each day. Lots of options, and operational changes can be much easier there than at other places.

The speculation is that areas where those kind of easy changes can be made are prime candidates.
No all our freight comes from Nashville they quit the truck from Memphis years ago.