Is it worth it to stay here as a package handler while working 2 jobs?

drazzy93

I hired in for the insurance, even though it's not as good as it once was, it is still better than almost any other job out there. Many older people do the same but since it now takes longer to get benefits I think the workforce is getting younger (and less dependable).

Most people are content where they are or have no motivation. The fact that you are asking will put you ahead of most people who await for things to fall into their laps. Find a package center and someone can show you where to look. If that doesn't work ask a driver for their union steward and ask them.

P.S. when they post bids don't tell anyone. If they are too lazy to find it themselves why help them go in front of you on the list!!

Thanks man! Your post definitely gave me a little hope. It's so satisfying when I see the look of surprise on my PT and FT supervisors when they realize that I know my stuff, and they can't get anything past me. I'm definitely going to find the bid sheet, and I'm not going to tell anyone about it. My coworker whines constantly about how our FT supervisor apparently keeps promising to help her advance from her current position.

She griped to me that she hadn't gotten a raise in 3 years because apparently it somehow depended on the FT supervisor? She finally got one last month, and I'm just over here cringing so hard. When I didn't immediately get my 90 day raise I went straight to my HR supervisor's office, and I would NOT back down until they gave me it because I was given a piece of paper at orientation that said I would get the raise after 90 days.

And my coworker waited 3 years? I just could never do that. I feel kind of bad for her because she really seems to think that the FT supervisor will actually actively try to advance her when it benefits HER not him. He's kept her in the same position for 3 years, and she still thinks that one day the truck driving opportunity will just decide to finally fall into her lap. She has NO idea about the bid sheet, and honestly I'm not even going to correct her.

I've also tried to explain to her that the PT supervisor position would be an horrible idea for her if she wants to drive. Despite how much I've looked out for her, every time I try to explain to her that our FT and HR supervisors are solely looking out for THEMSELVES or UPS, not their employees' careers she says "Well, I've known the FT and PT supervisors for longer than I have known you so I apologize for trusting their word more than you." So, I'm just going to sign a bid sheet, and hopefully get a FT position before her and she'll finally realize that our FT supervisor is NOT ON HER SIDE!

Last edited:

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If she told you she didn't get a raise in three years she is an absolute liar. Raises have nothing to do with the supervisors, or at least I can't imagine payroll doesn't do it with an automated program. Either way I've never had an issue with raises.

Hours worked on the other hand is something supervisors love playing with! :) The biggest issue I saw when I was a part-time was incorrect start times. I don't necessarily think it was UPS but management worried about obtaining some number to make themselves look good by having 1/2 the building working 5-10 minutes for free everyday.

drazzy93

If she told you she didn't get a raise in three years she is an absolute liar. Raises have nothing to do with the supervisors, or at least I can't imagine payroll doesn't do it with an automated program. Either way I've never had an issue with raises.

Hours worked on the other hand is something supervisors love playing with! :) The biggest issue I saw when I was a part-time was incorrect start times. I don't necessarily think it was UPS but management worried about obtaining some number to make themselves look good by having 1/2 the building working 5-10 minutes for free everyday.

I don't know. I really doubt she's lying because she was really angry about it. She said to me, "I finally set up a meeting with the FT supervisor because they hadn't given me a raise in 3 years, and I just finally got one last night yay!" I know that FT supervisors have no involvement with payroll, so I was immensely confused when she said that to me.

I just don't think she's the sharpest tool in the box. Maybe she assumed that the FT supervisor controlled it, and set up a meeting with him who said that he would take care of it but all he actually did was talk to payrooll/the HR supervisor. It's kind of sad how she's been there for 3 years, me only 4 months yet I know a lot more than her at times.

I don't think my supervisors do things as petty as shaving 5-10 minutes. I know that they tend to get a lot of flack from regional managers because they don't write up people or get them in trouble, but I'm definitely going to start recording my start and end times from now and on.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Most of the time I saw being stolen was in outbound belts. The best had staggered start times, sometimes 10 minutes separating just 5 or 6 doors when it actually only took about a minute for the packages to go that distance.

I guess it wasnt really stolen time. It was usually new people working those doors and I'm sure they were worried about getting behind before they even started their day. There was plenty of work on the belt so there was no need to play those games.

drazzy93

Most of the time I saw being stolen was in outbound belts. The best had staggered start times, sometimes 10 minutes separating just 5 or 6 doors when it actually only took about a minute for the packages to go that distance.

I guess it wasnt really stolen time. It was usually new people working those doors and I'm sure they were worried about getting behind before they even started their day. There was plenty of work on the belt so there was no need to play those games.

10 minutes is stolen time for sure especially if most of your shifts are only 3.5 hours. How do I check the exact hours? I would be LIVID if I didn't get these 10 minutes because I show up to work 15 minutes early EVERY day.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
The job isn't bad. Peak is kinda nuts but nothing you can't just laugh about. Im here for benefits only and it saves me a ton of money plus a little extra cash and a consistent job is nice

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Just look at the computer or card swipe and it shoud give you a start time. Compare it to your start tine or when you start getting work.

I didn't figure out the staggered start times for a few months. Tbey would also post astart tine but the time clock for me always said 10 minutes later, I asked my supervisor and he was honest. It took a few days but he got me moved to an earlier start timee which was 5 minutes after the primary started. that was the earliest time on our belt except for pickoffs and the setup person.

In those days you had to get to work early or get stuck with a scanner that kept disconnecting , which made your job horrible. We couldn't take phones in and I don't wear a watch so I always assumed I was starting at the correct time.

Tenpoint88

So, I've been working as a package handler for 4 months at this point. I work in small sorts which is definitely a lot better than normal package handling from what I can see, and I like my supervisors for the most part. However, I recently got offered a pretty good 9-5 job with better pay.

However, it's not as great as the pay UPS truck drivers make. So right now I'm just beginning to wonder if it's worth it to stay until my seniority finally begins to pay off? I'm just not sure if I can continue working both jobs, and I may have to make a decision. Maybe I should work here until my seniority pays off, and I can become a truck driver which would pay better than my second job? However, I have a coworker who has been working here for 3+ years still talking about becoming a truck driver which just sounds ridiculous to me.

That is just such a long wait that it sounds like more of an empty promise than anything to dangle over new hires. However, on the other hand I look around in my department, and I see a lot of old-timers. A lot of them have been there for years and years so I just can't help but think to myself "There must be something keeping them around." I'm relatively new, yes, but I already got my first raise which was a lot better than I expected. Considering the contract I received upon my hire I definitely see that UPS gives out pretty decent raises.

But the ridiculously low amount of hours and the empty promises just make me wonder why there are so many old-timers. Is it really worth it to stick it out and work both jobs? Is becoming a truck driver just an empty promise ultimately?

I'm in almost the exact same position as you. Only difference is I was told I'll be made a driver in a year, but I have a reckless driving charge and will have to wait 2 years and 3 months until I'm clear if the "3 years without a reckless driving" rule. I think I'm just gonna wait it out, but I'd like to make sure I'm for sure going to go full time because I don't have 3+ years to throw away lol

PT Car Washer

I'm in almost the exact same position as you. Only difference is I was told I'll be made a driver in a year, but I have a reckless driving charge and will have to wait 2 years and 3 months until I'm clear if the "3 years without a reckless driving" rule. I think I'm just gonna wait it out, but I'd like to make sure I'm for sure going to go full time because I don't have 3+ years to throw away lol
I thought it was 5 years for a reckless driving charge. No one is guaranteed a FT job. Only the opportunity to try and qualify.

Tenpoint88

I thought it was 5 years for a reckless driving charge. No one is guaranteed a FT job. Only the opportunity to try and qualify.
I'm sure the reckless driving rule differs in each hub. I asked the on road sup specifically and he wasn't sure but that's what he came back and told me a week later.

wayfair

swollen member
I don't know. I really doubt she's lying because she was really angry about it. She said to me, "I finally set up a meeting with the FT supervisor because they hadn't given me a raise in 3 years, and I just finally got one last night yay!" I know that FT supervisors have no involvement with payroll, so I was immensely confused when she said that to me.

I just don't think she's the sharpest tool in the box. Maybe she assumed that the FT supervisor controlled it, and set up a meeting with him who said that he would take care of it but all he actually did was talk to payrooll/the HR supervisor. It's kind of sad how she's been there for 3 years, me only 4 months yet I know a lot more than her at times.

I don't think my supervisors do things as petty as shaving 5-10 minutes. I know that they tend to get a lot of flack from regional managers because they don't write up people or get them in trouble, but I'm definitely going to start recording my start and end times from now and on.

Dude, help a teamster out and tell her to file grievance for back pay for the supposed 3 years she hasn't gotten a raise....

Another thing, quit talking to her....

By The Book

10 minutes is stolen time for sure especially if most of your shifts are only 3.5 hours. How do I check the exact hours? I would be LIVID if I didn't get these 10 minutes because I show up to work 15 minutes early EVERY day.
You will only be paid from your posted start time unless they post a different start time (usually earlier) at the time clock. You are not paid before your start time even if your working before it. That's working off the clock which is stupid. The part time job at UPS is set up for people who go to college (like you), it's a good fit. Many people have a second job that starts around 9:30-10:00 in the morning. That way they can stay at UPS for the benefits and eventually a good wage until a full time job opens up. Those old timers may be in this situation or their spouse may be the bread winner. That way if they are a 20 year employee they are making over $23.00 an hour, not too shabby with full benefits for the family. I don't think this female employee likes or cares for you much. I say this because she was very short with you when you asked her questions. Write down the hours you work each day for 1 week, (from start time to punch out time). Compare this to your paycheck when you get it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Write down the hours you work each day for 1 week, (from start time to punch out time). Compare this to your paycheck when you get it.

With the Time Card Viewer on upsers you don't have to wait for your paycheck to verify your hours.

Case in point-----I checked mine last night and it showed that I punch out at 1912 when I actually punch out at 1812. I printed that out and will ask my on-car to make an adjustment, even though the error is in my favor.

PT Car Washer

With the Time Card Viewer on upsers you don't have to wait for your paycheck to verify your hours.

Case in point-----I checked mine last night and it showed that I punch out at 1912 when I actually punch out at 1812. I printed that out and will ask my on-car to make an adjustment, even though the error is in my favor.
Bonus?