Is it worth it to stay here as a package handler while working 2 jobs?

Rack em

Made the Podium
Yeah, I agree with you. It's just that the stuff I have read from other posters on these boards have left me with a really bleak outlook on UPS. Sometimes I wish I had never joined this board because so many people basically joke about how package handlers have "a snowball's chance in hell" when it comes to FT driving, how PT supervision sounds enticing at first but is nothing more than becoming the sacrificial lamb for your FT supervisors, and so many more.

Some people on here really make it sound like being a package handler is all you can expect to do. Btw, I edited my last post to make it a little more clear, and I added some more stuff to it for which I'd really like to hear feedback. I'm just mainly worried that I'll end up working here for years, and realize that I've been duped all along. That the wonderful relationships I have with my supervisors, the raving reviews I get from them, them making it sound like I can actually establish a career with this position if I just put in my hard work.

Realizing after 6 years of hard work that all of these were just essentially a carrot being dangled over my head the whole time. I'm really upset right now because my department essentially just hired a random person off the street to become a PT supervisor for our department just because she had "supervisor experience." I think it's ridiculous -- They should have promoted someone from within. I know my coworker would have been more than happy to do it, and I might even have been willing despite what I've read on these forums.

It really gnaws at me on the inside that they hired someone right off the streets who knew absolutely nothing about small sorts and package handling/UPS to be a freaking PT supervisor.
I went from PT preloader to FT driver in less than 5 years and so do a lot of other people, but it also depends on the location you're in. Whatever you decide, I would advise you do not go into management. They work more hours for less pay and they have to pay for their insurance.

drazzy93

I went from PT preloader to FT driver in less than 5 years and so do a lot of other people, but it also depends on the location you're in. Whatever you decide, I would advise you do not go into management. They work more hours for less pay and they have to pay for their insurance.

Yeah, I know that, but truthfully at this point I'm just not all that sure how long I plan on staying here for. I read online that PT supervision is good for someone who doesn't really intend on making a career out of UPS because it's an immediate raise, with the drawback of a lower yearly raise. Of course PT package handlers make more than their own supervisors if they've been working there for long enough.

But I would have to be working there for a super long time to get into that range. Hell, my longest job I ever worked at was for a little over 4 years, and I was miserable at that job because it was a front-end cashier position. I just don't know if I'd be able to handle 4-5 years of this.

I guess I'm just going to meet with my HR supervisor to go over my options. I'm just afraid that they will be like, "Oh, you've been here for 4 months and you're already seeking out promotions? Ha! GTFO!"

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Instead of getting all your information second hand why don't you walk over to a package center and find a seniority list? Look at the bottom of the list and check the employees full-time and part-time seniority...those dates will tell you when the last person was hired and the wait time they had. Be sure to check all the recent hires in case someone skipped their opportunity a few times and signed a bid later.

The next thing would be to find the list of TCD or RTD drivers. This is how you want to start driving because it locks you into a higher starting wage when you do go full-time. Around July pretty much all centers and hubs hire a bunch of those temporary drivers. Did you see any of those bids posted? Ask your girl why she hasn't signed any of them over the years.

Google UPS teamsters contract, download it and read it. You are getting worked up over a pt supervisor being hired from the outside and you've done zero legwork yourself to discover if you really want to go that route (you don't).

Ask the girl you get your info from where the job bids are posted. From what I've seen about 50% of inside employees are like you are now and clueless. They miss opportunities because they don't even know where the bids are posted or only check once a month. Rely on yourself to get the info you need to make this decision because like I mentioned earlier, many others are too lazy to even glance at our contract and supplements or listen to someone who is uninformed and believe what they hear.

specter208

Put your name on the list for any and every full time position and you may get lucky and win a FT job. If you go FT you automatically have more seniority than any Part Timer.

drazzy93

Instead of getting all your information second hand why don't you walk over to a package center and find a seniority list? Look at the bottom of the list and check the employees full-time and part-time seniority...those dates will tell you when the last person was hired and the wait time they had. Be sure to check all the recent hires in case someone skipped their opportunity a few times and signed a bid later.

The next thing would be to find the list of TCD or RTD drivers. This is how you want to start driving because it locks you into a higher starting wage when you do go full-time. Around July pretty much all centers and hubs hire a bunch of those temporary drivers. Did you see any of those bids posted? Ask your girl why she hasn't signed any of them over the years.

Google UPS teamsters contract, download it and read it. You are getting worked up over a pt supervisor being hired from the outside and you've done zero legwork yourself to discover if you really want to go that route (you don't).

Ask the girl you get your info from where the job bids are posted. From what I've seen about 50% of inside employees are like you are now and clueless. They miss opportunities because they don't even know where the bids are posted or only check once a month. Rely on yourself to get the info you need to make this decision because like I mentioned earlier, many others are too lazy to even glance at our contract and supplements or listen to someone who is uninformed and believe what they hear.

For the last part -- The "girl who I get my information from" is absolutely clueless. Every time I ask her something she says "Don't ask me, I'm not your supervisor!" and then I ask one of my PT supervisors and they just laugh about how clueless they are. Honestly I've felt more shocked as the days go by how little the PT supervisors know.

I signed up to work for a Saturday, and I asked her if that was considered OT. She said she had no idea, and asked our FT supervisor who also said he had no idea. So, believe me I have tried to get all the information, but we get stuck in this cycle of the people who should know the stuff just don't know.

Basically everything I know about UPS at this point is because I researched it on my own with google. I KNOW that there are FT jobs out there, but the fact is that my coworker has been working there for 3 years. She also told me that she didn't get a raise at all in these 3 years until she finally complained to the FT supervisor, and she "just finally got a raise last month" and that just really doesn't sound right to me.

I like the people who I work with, but honestly it feels like everyone in the management positions are entirely clueless here. Sometimes I don't even really feel like it's a job, that I'm just hanging with some friends in some facility. I know about the bid sheets, and I've been meaning to ask my HR supervisor about it this Monday.

You have to understand that maybe I didn't express myself correctly, but I was trying to ask why there were so many PT package handlers who have been there for 10-20 years. What the heck is keeping them around? In that time period they could probably have found a better deal on insurance, or even a better job with the same benefits. What the heck is keeping them around?

I wanted to know if it was worth it to stay on as a PT package handler. However, I'm not saying that I'll just end up staying as one because honestly I can't deal with the menial and tedious nature of the job so I'll definitely try and latch onto a FT job. I just hope that the bid sheets aren't too far away. What kind of positions do you think I will see? Will there be sheets for positions inside customer service?

drazzy93

Put your name on the list for any and every full time position and you may get lucky and win a FT job. If you go FT you automatically have more seniority than any Part Timer.

I don't even know where to find these lists. My FT and PT supervisors have no clue, and my HR supervisor is always too busy to sit down with me for 5 minutes. I don't blame her because it's peak season so she's running all over the place with these seasonals.

What'dyabringmetoday???

So, I've been working as a package handler for 4 months at this point. I work in small sorts which is definitely a lot better than normal package handling from what I can see, and I like my supervisors for the most part. However, I recently got offered a pretty good 9-5 job with better pay.

However, it's not as great as the pay UPS truck drivers make. So right now I'm just beginning to wonder if it's worth it to stay until my seniority finally begins to pay off? I'm just not sure if I can continue working both jobs, and I may have to make a decision. Maybe I should work here until my seniority pays off, and I can become a truck driver which would pay better than my second job? However, I have a coworker who has been working here for 3+ years still talking about becoming a truck driver which just sounds ridiculous to me.

That is just such a long wait that it sounds like more of an empty promise than anything to dangle over new hires. However, on the other hand I look around in my department, and I see a lot of old-timers. A lot of them have been there for years and years so I just can't help but think to myself "There must be something keeping them around." I'm relatively new, yes, but I already got my first raise which was a lot better than I expected. Considering the contract I received upon my hire I definitely see that UPS gives out pretty decent raises.

But the ridiculously low amount of hours and the empty promises just make me wonder why there are so many old-timers. Is it really worth it to stick it out and work both jobs? Is becoming a truck driver just an empty promise ultimately?
No. Yes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't even know where to find these lists. My FT and PT supervisors have no clue, and my HR supervisor is always too busy to sit down with me for 5 minutes. I don't blame her because it's peak season so she's running all over the place with these seasonals.

These bid sheets are normally posted by the time clock.

drazzy93

They only post them when there are open positions that need to be filled.

Ah, okay. Well, I really hope to find something because I like working at UPS. All of my coworkers and supervisors are super cool. As I said, there are times where I literally feel like I'm just hanging out with friends.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I hired in for the insurance, even though it's not as good as it once was, it is still better than almost any other job out there. Many older people do the same but since it now takes longer to get benefits I think the workforce is getting younger (and less dependable).

Most people are content where they are or have no motivation. The fact that you are asking will put you ahead of most people who await for things to fall into their laps. Find a package center and someone can show you where to look. If that doesn't work ask a driver for their union steward and ask them.

P.S. when they post bids don't tell anyone. If they are too lazy to find it themselves why help them go in front of you on the list!!