Is it worth it?

b1gj1m304

Here's the thing, do I know if can do the job? No, but only because I haven't had the chance. That being said, I'm not saying I'll be good, great or anything else. I realize it's very demanding both physically and mentally. I've been a supervisor and a subordinate so I have no issue with a younger supervisor. All I want to do is do the best I can. If it's not good enough I'm sure someone will tell me. I'm a hard worker with a what I consider to be a strong work ethic.

One common theme that I've seen so far here is a when a part time, seasonal person asks a question or makes a comment there are plenty of helpful responses. I guess that's to balance out the demeaning and quite feckless comments made by the chosen ones who clearly have a overwhelming sense of superiority.

BrownTexas

Here's the thing, do I know if can do the job? No, but only because I haven't had the chance. That being said, I'm not saying I'll be good, great or anything else. I realize it's very demanding both physically and mentally. I've been a supervisor and a subordinate so I have no issue with a younger supervisor. All I want to do is do the best I can. If it's not good enough I'm sure someone will tell me. I'm a hard worker with a what I consider to be a strong work ethic.

One common theme that I've seen so far here is a when a part time, seasonal person asks a question or makes a comment there are plenty of helpful responses. I guess that's to balance out the demeaning and quite feckless comments made by the chosen ones who clearly have a overwhelming sense of superiority.
If your 46, I personally wouldn't want to put myself through the bodily pain for the 6 weeks unless I was in need of some physical labor. I'm a little over half your age and the first week was painful. But I knew it was leading to more.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@b1gj1m304 , having read your introduction thread, I lean towards it not being worth it, in your instance. Factoring in the lack of sleep, stress on your family life, and the small pay checks which will quickly be eaten up by your added fuel costs and wear & tear on your clothes, not too mention union dues (unless you're in a "right to work" state). The big plus would be the benefits, but unless you're in New England those don't kick in for a year; and you said you're already well covered.
Having said that, you could go ahead and try the seasonal position out, stressing to HR & your supervisors that you'd like to get hired onto the Twilight shift. My recommendation would be to try to get an unloader or primary sorter position; but loaders are in highest demand and that's where most new hires are placed. Once you've made permanent seniority there is some provision in the union contract to change positions, but the language/enforcement doesn't seem to be very good in general, from what I've read here over the years. Unloaders/sorters are the first ones to finish working, and as long as you're not ordered to go help elsewhere, you'd get home sooner. Around here they typically work between 5:30-9:00 PM most of the year. After a few raises (years) the paychecks are better, and if you average 15 hours/week that gets you almost all the benefits.

The work itself is as much mental determination as it is physical labor/skill.
And who knows, maybe you'll decide you want to try your hand at FT package delivery driver, knowing you won't be making a career of it or getting any significant pension from it.

And by the way, the most productive loader I ever worked with was a 50+ year old guy, who had previously worked as a loader in the 70s (so long ago there was no record of his previous employment hence there was no "no rehire" status).

new_upserMA

Just 6 weeks at any company looks bad on a resume
A bit old for the job huh?? I'd love to hear someone in HR tell me that. I'm 46, is that too old?

To many of these 'fresh faced' 20 somethings (who look like they are in their mid - late teens ) the answer is YES... They seem to prefer to hire people their age and either feel threatened or have this hate for for early Gen X / Baby Boomers.. It is worse at many tech companies now but we won't go into that. BTW, I am 39 and in great shape..
So the answer is it depends who interviews you and ultimately either passes your application to the next step or trashes it.