Is Management scared?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As drivers, we hear lots of talk at PCM's about "get the big picture", "leave yourself an out" and "adjust to changing conditions"....its a pity that our front-line management isnt allowed to apply these principles to the day to day operation of the business. Imagine how much more profitable, efficient and successful we would be if our front-line management were empowered to make basic operational decisions themselves instead of having to chase whatever idiotic and irrelevant number Atlanta decides is important that day. To me, there is nothing more frustrating and demoralizing than watching really smart management people being forced to do really stupid things.

kingOFchester

As drivers, we hear lots of talk at PCM's about "get the big picture", "leave yourself an out" and "adjust to changing conditions"....its a pity that our front-line management isnt allowed to apply these principles to the day to day operation of the business. .

First example that comes to mind is when we have numerous packages that finds their way to the center after everyone left and or a bulk stop that would not fit on the regular trip. Last week we had 4 packages for 4 routes plus a bulk stop for a fifth driver. Logic would have you allow the extra driver run them out and deliver them. He would of been back by 11, noon at the lastest. But being he is not allowed to deliver (do to stops per car) he got paid to stand around until about 10. Couldn't leave any earlier as the 5 drivers would still be delivering airs. Then had to arrange 4 meets and one other meet at the bulk stop. Driver did not get back to the building until almost 3.

UPSGUY72

Just remember just because your EDD is different doesn't mean you have to run trace. Two building in my area have Orion I can guarantee that nobody runs trace.

soberups

Right, you can switch back and forth, but when management says run the trace or be disciplined, you run the trace.

Or you can grow a pair and just do your job as efficiently and productively as possible every day instead of getting stressed out over irrelevant "compliance" metrics. Focus on the stuff that matters, and let your "management team" worry about the stuff that doesnt. The first (and only) time ORION "compliance" was ever mentioned to me, I politely offered to shut my brain off and run the route 100% according to ORION....and my supervisor politely said no thanks. Havent heard a peep out of them since, and my "compliance" is frequently the worst in the center.

HomeDelivery

Right, you can switch back and forth, but when management says run the trace or be disciplined, you run the trace.

sober, i think that's what s-man is trying to portray... if he WAD (works as directed) and follow that loopy trace, it will show management which areas needs "tweaking" and which areas are working out for them.

s-man will follow trace, gets OT doing so & has a fatter wallet at the end of the week!

apparently, your service area is 80-90% rural & your local management team has over-ridden that dumb ORION for your route (which makes me think that not all management are puppets)

My side of the fence; we have something similar & if i "follow trace" i'll surely put more on-road hours every day

InsideUPS

So corporate is pushing ORION. Thinking to save a half gallon of gas. Trying to make it work. Those HP and UPS alliance commercials make me my mind shut down. Hearing that happy happy commercial is annoying.

I'm working preload. Management goes on and on about load quality. If there is a fraction of space behind a box, that is improper method. Have the boxes up against the back of the shelf with nothing to secure them is improper method. Having boxes in the aisle when the section is blown out with 101 pieces is improper method. Even with PAL labels sticking out management insists you must write the number in big numbers. And everything must be perfectly sequenced as well.

Management people I have never seen before are lurking around now on Preload. Taking photos of the truck.

While loading my truck Thursday, a PT sup and I think an upper management where in my truck, pushing boxes around, trying to find faults. I guess a lip loaded box, (the way I was trained) had space behind it. I heard the Upper management said this is the stuff we have to address. This is the stuff that means me losing my job and you losing and your job.

Yeah peak will get busy and every inch will be filled up. Is UPS Corporate so demanding of its management to push some number agenda they would lose a job over a preloader lip loading a box and not having written a number when the PAL label is sticking out? Seen other preloaders getting really upset with management. The preloaders that have loaded the same truck for years, know what the drivers want and expect, are told by people that have never been there it must be done this way. **** your commonsense and experience preloader.

Two full time supervisors in my hub it quits last month. Why would management be voluntarily quitting? Something in the atmosphere scaring them.

Soon...... they should be evaluating your shoes also followed by asking you to repeat the 8 keys to lifting and lowering, 5 keys to avoiding slips and falls, etc..

The issues I never hear anything about at our centers is "EGRESS", proper handling of over 70's and irregs, boxes falling off the jammed belts, etc..

My feeling about micro-management is; "Management that is incapable of managing the more significant issues, tend to manage the least significant issues". Your immediate supervision is only responding to what is being imposed on them from above.

Believe me, what you are describing is not new to UPS. Many.... many years ago when I was a car washer, I had a center manager wipe his finger across a heater blower housing in the truck and bring the dust to my attention. Today, most of our package cars never washed at all.

The answer to your questions is; "Yes, management is concerned for their job.... just like most of us are." They have every right to be concerned, they do not have a union protecting them. By placing yourself in their position, you may get a better idea of what they are going through.

raceanoncr

The goal of Orion is not to cut miles.

Orion is designed to cut miles so they can get the stops per car up.

Not about miles, it is about more stops in your truck. This is why preload is wanting every inch used, because they will need every inch of the truck do to more stops.

Every time I think UPS has stuck every possible inch up our rears, they find a way to cram another inch op our rears.

Just an observation here.

Just received a PARCEL yesterday from my long-time P/C driver (I've been at this address 12 yrs, he's been a P/C driver for 36). He told me that he's now running, at least 5 more miles per day with ORION.

He said he runs, according to the system, from one end of his route to the other then back to the other end then back to the other and the day before they said he'd run 89%. How? Who knows?

soberups

sober, i think that's what s-man is trying to portray... if he WAD (works as directed) and follow that loopy trace, it will show management which areas needs "tweaking" and which areas are working out for them.

If I turn ORION off and make service on every package and pickup and wind up beating ORION by 10 or 20 or even 30 miles, that ought to be managements first clue that some "tweaking" might be in order. I refuse to be intentionally stupid and waste time or miles just to prove a point. Whether or not ORION ever gets fixed is irrelevant to me. I dont need it, I didnt ask for it, I have no intention of ever following it and I dont care what they wind up doing with it.

soberups

Upon what basis would discipline be upheld?

Will the company put it in writing that a driver who follows ORION 100% will not be disciplined for late air, missed business stops, missed pickups, pickups outside of the 15-minute compliance time window, or any other service failures that result from obeying ORION?

Of course the company wont. As drivers, we are still held responsible for making the decisions that are necessary to avoid service failures, regardless of what ORION says to do. So the company cant have it both ways. Either they want us to think, or they dont.

cino321

You know soberups, I used to take pride in my job like you do. I no longer have that feeling. Everyday I am held accountable for things that are completely out of my hand. I pull my load out with a load that is absolutely disgusting and I am sometimes embarrassed to open my back door at my drop stops because I don't want my customers to see their packages in that condition and I certainly don't want them to think I have to work under those circumstances everyday. I try to address these issues with my immediate management team for years now since we've had PAS and they're not interested.

Instead of being frustrated and disgruntled everyday, I do literally exactly what I am told, no matter how ridiculous I know it is. As long as it is safe and honest, I will do it. Bring on ORION, if they want me to be a 100% on trace everyday, I'll sheet 100s of missed, follow their stupid instructions, and they can't do anything about it. I don't care anymore.

Indecisi0n

You know soberups, I used to take pride in my job like you do. I no longer have that feeling. Everyday I am held accountable for things that are completely out of my hand. I pull my load out with a load that is absolutely disgusting and I am sometimes embarrassed to open my back door at my drop stops because I don't want my customers to see their packages in that condition and I certainly don't want them to think I have to work under those circumstances everyday. I try to address these issues with my immediate management team for years now since we've had PAS and they're not interested.

Instead of being frustrated and disgruntled everyday, I do literally exactly what I am told, no matter how ridiculous I know it is. As long as it is safe and honest, I will do it. Bring on ORION, if they want me to be a 100% on trace everyday, I'll sheet 100s of missed, follow their stupid instructions, and they can't do anything about it. I don't care anymore.

I am 100% the same way.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
You know soberups, I used to take pride in my job like you do. I no. longer have that feeling. Everyday I am held accountable for things that are completely out of my hand. I pull my load out with a load that is absolutely disgusting and I am sometimes embarrassed to open my back door at my drop stops because I don't want my customers to see their packages in that condition and I certainly don't want them to think I have to work under those circumstances everyday. I try to address these issues with my immediate management team for years now since we've had PAS and they're not interested.

Yes! I have told them the same thing. If you really want to fire me have at it. I'm no longer in fear of them firing me. They don't have the upper hand on me anymore. I just don't care what they do or think. Funny how I'm perfect on their sheet. I don't look. Never hear a thing