Is signing for people ever allowed?

JL 0513

I had a similar situation on a route. A quadriplegic who was always home alone for sig required meds. Controlled wheelchair through breath. So no getting anything from him. UPS should give us official protocol for such a situation.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. Dont ever sign for a customer's package.

2. If you decide for whatever urgent reason to do it anyway, sign your own name and clarify your signature with your last name. Type the reason (disabled customer) in the remarks column. If confronted by management, BE HONEST about what you did and why.

soberups

Forgery is considered dishonesty which is automatic termination if proven.

Signing and clarifying your OWN name is NOT forgery it is a violation of company policy, with the customer's disability being the justification for doing so.

I did this once for a quadrapalegic customer, I wasnt going to deny them their meds or degrade them by making them hold a filthy stylus in their mouth, so I signed my own name. No forgery, hence no dishonesty and a termination would not have been upheld had the company chosen to pursue one.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
You're just asking for trouble doing this however, under certain circumstances, sometimes your moral values kick in. Do you want someone to go without lifesaving meds just because they cannot sign? Technically we are supposed to check ID but I bet 99% don't. Nothing like CYA though and sending a message in letting them know the situation and ask for guidance. If they say sign the customer name then take a picture of the message and sign the name. If they say do not sign, try to get the customer to give you the name or number of a family member who can take responsibility for the meds.
Put the stylus between his toes and tell him to wiggle his feet....done... and then grab a cookie on the way out

ManInBrown

Never have signed for anything. Never will. If anything I will tell customer to give the board a scribble. I will hold the old person's hand to assist them if I have to.
I will NEVER sign myself, under any circumstances. Don't care what they might be.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I had a similar situation on a route. A quadriplegic who was always home alone for sig required meds. Controlled wheelchair through breath. So no getting anything from him. UPS should give us official protocol for such a situation.

They are too busy coming up with yet another worthless metric to ding us on.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree with never "signing" , although is printing their name signing? I was told no. Doing it for all the reasons above would never hold up in "court" I agree with peak coming we need clarification................. it should have been clarified what to do in these instances from the beginning. But we run into so many grey areas that all the technology in the world cannot figure in. Seems like putting something in the cap, and the shippers should know.....like patient disabled, please secure inside home. Or an E signature.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
They are too busy coming up with yet another worthless metric to ding us on.
When im in a hurry and someone is not dressed or yells out the window Im home just got out of the shower, or a dog is blocking you, and of course its a handicapped person, 100 % chance they will appreciate you making a squiggly line in your diad.

barnyard

KTM rider
1. Dont ever sign for a customer's package.

2. If you decide for whatever urgent reason to do it anyway, sign your own name and clarify your signature with your last name. Type the reason (disabled customer) in the remarks column. If confronted by management, BE HONEST about what you did and why.

This is exactly how I handled it for 2 customers that could not sign. Then, rather than wait to be confronted, I told bosses what I did when I arrived in the evening. They said, as long as I signed my name, I was fine.

soberups

When im in a hurry and someone is not dressed or yells out the window Im home just got out of the shower, or a dog is blocking you, and of course its a handicapped person, 100 % chance they will appreciate you making a squiggly line in your diad.
There is also a 100% chance that the company will appreciate your giving them a golden opportunity to terminate your employment so that they can replace you with a new hire making $16 an hour.

soberups

I agree with never "signing" , although is printing their name signing? I was told no. Doing it for all the reasons above would never hold up in "court" I agree with peak coming we need clarification................. it should have been clarified what to do in these instances from the beginning. But we run into so many grey areas that all the technology in the world cannot figure in. Seems like putting something in the cap, and the shippers should know.....like patient disabled, please secure inside home. Or an E signature.
Printing their name is signing. It is considered forgery. At least that is what the company will be saying at the hearing where your termination is being upheld. If for whatever reason you feel compelled to sign for the customer's package yourself, then signing and clarifying your own name at least negates a forgery charge and gives you a leg to stand on at a panel hearing. Dishonesty is an automatic cardinal infraction that will result in termination, regardless of how legitimate your reasons might be. Take away the dishonesty charge and you will at least have an opportunity to justify and explain your actions.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Heffer hit the nail on the head. Ask the persons permission, make an X and clarify their name. Why is common sense so uncommon these days?

You want to do the right thing, but will management back you up if it hits the fan? I can see why the OP raised this question.

soberups

You want to do the right thing, but will management back you up if it hits the fan? I can see why the OP raised this question.
If you are a lunch-skipping runner gunner new hire who isnt at full scale yet...they MIGHT back you up. If you are an older employee at full scale, with production issues or an injury or pro-union history, you will get thrown under the bus and your termination letter will be hung on your managers wall like a trophy.

PT Car Washer

Did you forget the company we work for?
Which is why I suggested first receiving the person's permission and then making an X for the signature. Better then having a complaint for discriminating against a person who obviously can't sign for a delivery. I'll take my chances for using a little bit of common sense.