Is signing for people ever allowed?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Which is why I suggested first receiving the person's permission and then making an X for the signature. Better then having a complaint for discriminating against a person who obviously can't sign for a delivery. I'll take my chances for using a little bit of common sense.

Like others above, I tell the customer, "just make a small squiggle and then I'll type your name in". This way, they did sign and you are covered.

I have had some customers with problems getting to the door. Some of them had the shipper modify the 1Z, so I could take a delivery note. Some meds may require signature as per government rules, so that may not always work.

Everything else, work it out with the management team.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
This is exactly how I handled it for 2 customers that could not sign. Then, rather than wait to be confronted, I told bosses what I did when I arrived in the evening. They said, as long as I signed my name, I was fine.
Cool ill do that instead of putting myself n jeopardy. I had this idea that if their not looking for the package then its all good.

Whargoul

For this route I covered I had a guy that could not walk to answer the door and he was a no DR stop too. Anyway, the guy said the normal driver just lets himself in the house and drops the pkgs near the door. I really didn't feel comfortable doing that ( because it's technically breaking and entering )but I told the guy I would for him if he really needed me to. He couldn't really write or hold the diad but I made him sign anyway. I just said he was a no DR stop and I need him to sign the board - just a mark was fine - I explained I could lose my job if I signed for him. I felt a little bad having him sign because it seemed tough for him. I figure though I'll just SDN it for all future deliveries.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For this route I covered I had a guy that could not walk to answer the door and he was a no DR stop too. Anyway, the guy said the normal driver just lets himself in the house and drops the pkgs near the door. I really didn't feel comfortable doing that ( because it's technically breaking and entering )but I told the guy I would for him if he really needed me to. He couldn't really write or hold the diad but I made him sign anyway. I just said he was a no DR stop and I need him to sign the board - just a mark was fine - I explained I could lose my job if I signed for him. I felt a little bad having him sign because it seemed tough for him. I figure though I'll just SDN it for all future deliveries.

If he can't sign the DIAD how is he going to fill out the delivery notices?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I really didn't feel comfortable doing that ( because it's technically breaking and entering )
Um, yeah, no. It's not even close to b&e.

Just so you can be an expert the next time you use that phrase, no matter what each state calls it (Burglary, B&E, Criminal entry), the elements are the same.
Entering or remaining unlawfully,
with the intent to commit any felony therein.

But good job anyways!

O

OLDMAN3

It is very simple, never sign for someone.
If your manager wants you to leave it, ask him to sign for it. Guess what, he will never sign, and he will throw you under the bus if you do.
Don't touch that stylus to the signature screen. It is not your responsibility to risk your job.
If the person is a quadriplegic, get on the phone with your management team so THEY can find someone to sign.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It is very simple, never sign for someone.
If your manager wants you to leave it, ask him to sign for it. Guess what, he will never sign, and he will throw you under the bus if you do.
Don't touch that stylus to the signature screen. It is not your responsibility to risk your job.
If the person is a quadriplegic, get on the phone with your management team so THEY can find someone to sign.
I pretty much agree with everything you said, except for the quadrapalegic part. At that point, I'm not going to degrade or demean the person by getting on the phone with management and making a big deal about having a quadrapalegic customer. At that point, I'm going to sign and clarify my own name for it and if I wind up getting a warning letter then so be it.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Just imagine explaining your actions to the panel or the arbitrator who is deciding whether or not to uphold your termination.
That will never happen to me in regard to the title of this thread. Perhaps my sarcasm was difficult to detect. Delivering boxes for UPS is simple if people refrain from taking matters into their own hands. Do it the way they say and there will be no panel stuff.