Is telematics over supervison?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Question them about what? It does not give you the right to ask them a variety of questions. When we go in the office you will tell us what it is about, and than if need be I will ask for a few minutes and walk the grievant out of your office and return when we are done discussing what you inquired about. If the driver has no idea what you are talking about, he will say he does not remember on your clock.

Wrong - its not your meeting its the center manager managers meeting. You are not a lawyer and this is not a courtroom - I can ask any question I want. You are only there to protect him/her if I violate the contract. You may think you get that right but in my office you don't. Sorry if I come off a little harsh.

You can ask whatever you want, and I could just as easy say that your question has no merit, is leading, etc and thats it. Maybe where you worked the union allowed you to bully employees but here we dont play those games.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
8. No employee shall be discharged on a first offense if such discharge
is based solely upon information received from GPS or any
successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for
the purposes of this paragraph as any act or omission by an employee
where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The degree of
discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed​
because of the use of GPS.

unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for
where he/she intends to defraud the Company).

You intend to defraud the company - when you fail to tell the truth - you stand around talking at a stop (personal business) the delivery has been made etc - etc.

That is why I feel I have the right to question you.

Red you are right - we should not be bullying either.

Last edited:

satellitedriver

Since,
it is not a courtroom, you can ask any question you want and that gives the defendant the right to not have to answer under any oath.
If it is just a center manager managers "meeting", then only center manager's should be in the room.
The legal rights of an employee go far beyond the boundaries of your office walls, and the contract.
Harsh as it may sound, your office is not a fiefdom.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed

You intend to defraud the company - when you fail to tell the truth - you stand around talking at a stop (personal business) the delivery has been made etc - etc.

Actually dragon we don't have that language in our contract. 705 has a completely different contract. here is a link to it. https://web.archive.org/web/20080916085604/http://www.tdu.org/node/2253 I'm sure you will be disappointed in 705's contract as it doesnt cater to management at all like the national contract. so you don't have to right to ask me any questions in fact ill look at you and tell that you smell like old beef and chedder and you should take a shower(and yes i have told managers that).

705red

Browncafe Steward
Wrong - its not your meeting its the center manager managers meeting. You are not a lawyer and this is not a courtroom - I can ask any question I want. You are only there to protect him/her if I violate the contract. You may think you get that right but in my office you don't. Sorry if I come off a little harsh.

Dragon, it may be your office but that does not give you the right to violate laws, or even attempt to tell the steward what his/her job is. At this point I am your equal and do not work for you. Weingarten gives me the right to meet with the employee privately.

discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed​

Dragon while that may be the National language we do nto have that in 705. More people say things during a silly interview like this than they should. They try to tell you what they think you want to hear but they honestly do not remember.

Im saying that I have no problem with you observing a drivers behavior on road, I do have a problem with you violating the contract in order to discipline an employee.

deleted9

Dragon, it may be your office but that does not give you the right to violate laws, or even attempt to tell the steward what his/her job is. At this point I am your equal and do not work for you. Weingarten gives me the right to meet with the employee privately.

Dragon while that may be the National language we do nto have that in 705. More people say things during a silly interview like this than they should. They try to tell you what they think you want to hear but they honestly do not remember.

Im saying that I have no problem with you observing a drivers behavior on road, I do have a problem with you violating the contract in order to discipline an employee.

Are you kidding, you have no problem with what management does, who cares what you have a problem with, as far as being an equal in the office to the center manager, NOT, you are an employee of the company first, and a representative of the union 2nd, which means you work for that immediate manager and you have to follow his/her instructions, they do not have to do anything you say..........

705red

Browncafe Steward
Are you kidding, you have no problem with what management does, who cares what you have a problem with, as far as being an equal in the office to the center manager, NOT, you are an employee of the company first, and a representative of the union 2nd, which means you work for that immediate manager and you have to follow his/her instructions, they do not have to do anything you say..........

DIP****, when I am a steward I am your equal, and not an employee of yours, I can and will tell you what I want and that you are even an idiot if I felt. Do you have some kind of God complex? You cannot tell me what to do as a steward plain and simple, I am protected by laws, does not mean you cannot attempt to intiidate me, it just wont work with me.

What local did you get away with your BS, Because it was not here for sure!!!!

deleted9

DIP****, when I am a steward I am your equal, and not an employee of yours, I can and will tell you what I want and that you are even an idiot if I felt. Do you have some kind of God complex? You cannot tell me what to do as a steward plain and simple, I am protected by laws, does not mean you cannot attempt to intiidate me, it just wont work with me.

What local did you get away with your BS, Because it was not here for sure!!!!

you would never be equal to the center manager, he instructs you to leave his office and go to work you must comply, if you do not there are discipline consequences to actions, you tell him/her the same they will laugh at you. wake up

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
you would never be equal to the center manager, he instructs you to leave his office and go to work you must comply, if you do not there are discipline consequences to actions, you tell him/her the same they will laugh at you. wake up

yeah unfortunately here in Chicago, you tell that to a steward here in Chicago and union business agent. now they aren't employees and not friends with management. I've seen someone like you do that to a steward but when the BA came into his office he tried doing that and said the wrong things and hour later he came out of the office crying.

705red

Browncafe Steward

In many cases I consider my self to be better than a center manager, in general im a much better person in life. However you are wrong again, how many times will you force me to hand you your own ass on a plate?????? You are not my master and I am not your servant!

JonFrum

Whenever a supervisor/manager is ignorant of Labor Law and/or The Contract, they tend to let their delusions of grandure get the best of them and they commit proceedural and other violations. This just makes the Union's case all the stronger going foreward. And when the Union Business Agent (or higher), and the UPS Labor Manager (who does know the Law, the Contract, and that UPS is bound by both), take over the case, the original supervisor/manager should prepare to be spanked.

deleted9

In many cases I consider my self to be better than a center manager, in general im a much better person in life. However you are wrong again, how many times will you force me to hand you your own ass on a plate?????? You are not my master and I am not your servant!

You are nothing but a management wanabee , you want to be the boss but don't have the guts to become one, you need somebody to hide behind, you can consider yourself to be anything you want, but you are nothing but a scared management WANABEE, maybe you should change your call sign and change the picture to a chicken. Thanks for stopping by.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

RED I am on solid ground here. I believe from the things I have underlined above. You still do not get the right to turn my office into a court room and I still get to ask questions. You can give advice ( which I have never argued about) but you cannot ask employees not to answer questions.

If you are reading this forum Red posted a great link and I would hope you go to that link and read the article.

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I would say 2 units is right about returning to work.

705red

Browncafe Steward

2units couldnt be right about anything in life, its obvious he is a self centered ego maniac who thinks he is better than everyone else.

Under normal circumstances you are correct and almost always I and other stewards go back to work. I have been told to get grievants information later, which is not the case. If discipline happened a grievance will be filed before returning to work. And if a heated debate occured I as a steward am allowed cool down time before returning to my normal job activity.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You are nothing but a management wanabee , you want to be the boss but don't have the guts to become one, you need somebody to hide behind, you can consider yourself to be anything you want, but you are nothing but a scared management WANABEE, maybe you should change your call sign and change the picture to a chicken. Thanks for stopping by.

Why would I want to go into management? Right now I make more decisions daily than most of the bosses we have. Are you mixing your geritol with Vodka again?

The fact is you speak on subjects that you obviously have no idea what you are speaking about and when you are shown you are wrong you get all defensive. Your a maroon!

JonFrum

The quote above deals with a working steward who stops working on his own authority to initiate conversation with a supervisor. This is not the same as a steward, acting in his official capacity as a steward, who is relieved of his regular duties and attends an official meeting in a manager's office where he is representing an employee.

If told to leave the office, he should do so, but that also means the manager who told him to leave will eventually pay the price if the order to leave was unfair, or prevented the grievance/discipline process from proceeding normally.

satellitedriver

The quote above deals with a working steward who stops working on his own authority to initiate conversation with a supervisor. This is not the same as a steward, acting in his official capacity as a steward, who is relieved of his regular duties and attends an official meeting in a manager's office where he is representing an employee.

If told to leave the office, he should do so, but that also means the manager who told him to leave will eventually pay the price if the order to leave was unfair, or prevented the grievance/discipline process from proceeding normally.
Exactly.

SWORDFISH

It would be nice to be in an area where the union was strong(I should say the people). We have people like 2units running the show in my area. Most of our work force is nonconfrontational, stay under the radar, cause no trouble, never challenge the boss that rarely ever follows contract unless I make him(very few others will). Its a union nightmare. :peaceful:

705red

Browncafe Steward
It would be nice to be in an area where the union was strong(I should say the people). We have people like 2units running the show in my area. Most of our work force is nonconfrontational, stay under the radar, cause no trouble, never challenge the boss that rarely ever follows contract unless I make him(very few others will). Its a union nightmare. :peaceful:
It takes time to build this area that you speak of. I have been working real hard over teh last 6 years as a steward and it paid off. Once people see that you will have their back and you are not scared to confront management on issues they will help. Every new driver I give a copy of the contract to with my cell number written in the inside of it. Now I get calls from almoost every driver in my center when a sup shuttles them packages or late air. 90% of my center showed up in person to vote for our strike vote back in 08.

It also helps to have a strong union behind you.