Is there any recourse?

......And we're back to famine. Worked 3 days last week, was almost sent home yesterday, but given a route to cover last minute (which actually brings up question #: Supervisor was going to give route to a seasonal driver, saying they had more seniority? Hubby has been there 14 years, and is a full time employee/cover driver. Does a seasonal employee ever have more seniority than a full time employee???) and then sent home today.

But here is my real question: One of the reasons he can't do a route he trained on and that is available is because ANOTHER cover driver is still in their 30 day probationary period to see if they can make the cut, and is being given that route to do. I understand peak is coming up, that's all fine and good, but right now, I care more our OUR FAMILY than UPS' work load and reputation come Christmas. I guess what I'm wondering is, does a full time cover driver with more seniority have any recourse when it comes to a situation like this? Why the hell did they hire more cover drivers when they can't even fully employ the ones they have?!?!?!? Seems to me when a person switches from a full time job to another full time job within the company, UPS should be held somewhat accountable to actually provide full time hours. (He does bid on routes every chance he gets, usually gets beat out by someone last minute. Different sup told him to let him know next time his name is the only one on a Friday, and the sheet will magically be pulled earlier; since two weeks in a row his name was the only one when he left the building at 6 on a Friday, only to have someone else with more seniority throw their name on last minute. Also shows up to work every single day, ready to work and puts his name on any route even if he has no clue what it is.)

Anyway, obviously UPS is looking out for themselves, and up until now there was never really any reason to go to the union. Is this something he should talk to the steward about or is it just one of those shut up & put up situations?
Tell your man to man up and learn the contract or call his business agent. Ups isn't the kind of place where your wife can/needs to fight his battles. I can't stand dealing with someone's wife. Time for your husband to man up.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
In my experience if you walk up and down the belt asking everyone if they want to take a day off, you'll at least get one bite. Means going out blind and most likely screwed but there's always someone with a :censored2:ty dispatch ready to bail!

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If he is a full time driver that made book and is on the seniority list, there is no way a temp or non seniority driver should be working first. Maybe he just volunteers to take the day off. Seen more than one do that over the years and hide that fact from the spouse.
Yup...I don't think she's getting the whole story..

PT Car Washer

Not trying to hijack the thread but I appreciate the comments here. I'm a new full time driver waiting to start my training route. I know I will come across this myself because they are talking about hiring more full time drivers plus peak drivers coming up.
You are not a FT driver until you complete your 30 days.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Not to be a jerk....but this is your husband's job...why isn't he finding these answers out on his own...talking with veteran drivers in his building or his steward?? He sounds pretty complacent for a guy who's worked for so long (and thus knows the games management plays). Why is he just agreeing to go home 2 or 3x a week?

I've worked here for 8 years. Hypothetically if I were sent home for a not enough work reason...and saw a single person with less seniority than me working, I'd be on the phone with my steward before I even walked out of the building.[/quot

Very true. Maybe he doesn't know how to operate a computer??

Sent using BrownCafe App

In my experience if you walk up and down the belt asking everyone if they want to take a day off, you'll at least get one bite. Means going out blind and most likely screwed but there's always someone with a :censored2:ty dispatch ready to bail!

Sent using BrownCafe App
Once I am at work, It's too late. dont care how bad the dispatch is.

Im on the 9.5. list!..lol