Is there any truth to this rumour?

Griff

Why would they buy anybody out when they already have a system in place where they get away with firing people for non-cardinal infractions and grinding people into retirement with excessive overtime, harassment, intimidation and an unsafe hostile work environment? The company has already started to administer their cost savings plan, whether you realize it or not, 2013 is already here.

5seeinghabits

I collect cardboard dust in a baby jar.
The reason UPS is not hiring drivers is because there are TOO many drivers. It's a business. They should begin by firing all the "lunch skipping drivers" and then weed out the poor management that has infiltrated this great company. I've never seen so many sorry, lying, back stabbing management!

Alexx

Well that sounds like a huge downer for anybody lucky enough to already be a full time driver. Consider us part timers who need a second job to survive. I really hope this new contract doesn't hurt our health insurance. We are lucky to get 10 minutes over our 3 and 1/2 hour guarantee. We are bringing home $200 a week on average after 4 years. We have to milk the clock to get 3 hours 45 minutes and make break which gives us 4 hours for the day, and we usually catch :censored2: for even that. And doing that only helps us get an extra gallon of gas to get to work and school.

I understand that the drivers work long hours and are there on average 10-12 hours a day and basically have no life during the week. At least you guys can afford a house though. I need a second job so I can get my prescriptions and get my rent paid while paying for tuition and car payments. If I lose my my insurance I am completely :censored2:ed. I have no life either during the week and have far less money than any driver working, at least you guys get over time. I work 60 hours a week and don't see one penny of overtime.

I am sorry but I hear drivers complaining about the long hours and the fact that they might make less hourly with the new contract. The only response I have for them is.... please trade jobs with me.... Most of us were told that after 7 years of service we could get a driver or other full time spot. In reality there are guys with 11 years vested and still working part time so guys like me with 4 years have absolutely no hope at all.

I am not complaining about my job though. I am happy to have it and there is no part time job on earth that beats it, I just don't want to lose what I already have and it seems the first place they will cut costs with the new contract will be with us part timers.

They have already cut and laid off the entire day sort... some of them I only have a years seniority on.... I just want to keep business going and keep my job and insurance.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Anyone, and I mean anyone that thinks a two tier wage scale is acceptable, please go ahead and paint a real big BULLSEYE on your back now. The comapny will only push to fire the higher seniority employees and hire lower wage earners to do the job. Not to mentuion im glad none of you were around years ago to sell yourself outs. The drivers that came before did us right and we need to insure that the drivers that come after us are done the same.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think anyone thinks a two-tiered wage system is acceptable but rather is inevitable. It is no secret that our compensation package puts us at a competitive disadvantage and that something needs to be done to bring our labor costs under control. The UAW recently agreed to wage concessions where new hires will start at $14/hr so a two-tiered wage structure is not unheard of.

Would this put higher seniority drivers under greater scrutiny? Absolutely. Would this create a divide amongst the drivers themselves? Absolutely. Does this make economic sense? Absolutely and I think you will at least see it discussed in 2013.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
UPS hires Pt employees @ $8.50 per hour ( has not changed in years) with a wage progression schedule (fixed 4 years) that has not changed much either .50,.50,.50, & .87 .With the above in mind and a 5 year + wait to drive in some buildings the retention percentage must be very low. A large part of their work force is already fixed !They have already taken benefits away from management and non-union employees who now have to participate in some of their health care costs.They are posting large profits and continue to up the stock divedends.
Dismiss this wage fixing rumors for what they are "rumors" and speak with your vote in the IBT upcomming election.Elect the people who will go to the table and get a good contract and get gains not givebacks.

Shadow999

We are already operating under a two-tier system. Now that part-timers can be used as drivers, there is no incentive for UPS to add new drivers. We are able to take our optional week one day at a time at the expense of creating more full-time positions.

brown_trousers

We are already operating under a two-tier system. Now that part-timers can be used as drivers, there is no incentive for UPS to add new drivers. We are able to take our optional week one day at a time at the expense of creating more full-time positions.
well I would give my left @#%$^&$ as a part-time air driver, to get some of those rumored driving hours. But it only happens maybe twice a year at most and only during peak season. I'm not sure I understand the option week/days thing though, how does that factor into this?

Billy Boxtosser

Well that sounds like a huge downer for anybody lucky enough to already be a full time driver. Consider us part timers who need a second job to survive. I really hope this new contract doesn't hurt our health insurance. We are lucky to get 10 minutes over our 3 and 1/2 hour guarantee. We are bringing home $200 a week on average after 4 years. We have to milk the clock to get 3 hours 45 minutes and make break which gives us 4 hours for the day, and we usually catch for even that. And doing that only helps us get an extra gallon of gas to get to work and school.

I understand that the drivers work long hours and are there on average 10-12 hours a day and basically have no life during the week. At least you guys can afford a house though. I need a second job so I can get my prescriptions and get my rent paid while paying for tuition and car payments. If I lose my my insurance I am completely :censored2: ed. I have no life either during the week and have far less money than any driver working, at least you guys get over time. I work 60 hours a week and don't see one penny of overtime.

I am sorry but I hear drivers complaining about the long hours and the fact that they might make less hourly with the new contract. The only response I have for them is.... please trade jobs with me.... Most of us were told that after 7 years of service we could get a driver or other full time spot. In reality there are guys with 11 years vested and still working part time so guys like me with 4 years have absolutely no hope at all.

I am not complaining about my job though. I am happy to have it and there is no part time job on earth that beats it, I just don't want to lose what I already have and it seems the first place they will cut costs with the new contract will be with us part timers.

They have already cut and laid off the entire day sort... some of them I only have a years seniority on.... I just want to keep business going and keep my job and insurance.

VERY WELL SAID!!!! 14 years and STILL working two jobs, including weekends!!

krash

Go big orange
If this is a "feeder" rumor-----ignore it.:happy2:
LOL! The quickest way to spread a rumor is to tell a feeder driver. And we can make up some doozies too! I can't believe there is rumors about concessions 2 years before the contract expires. Now UPS will always try and get concessions but it's up to us to not vote for a contract that has any. And we cannot sell out those not yet hired. We should leave this great union in better shape than we found it. Also, UPS is making substantial profits so there is no need for concessions. If anything, we should be fighting for improvements on more FT jobs created from existing PT, stronger 9.5 language and do away with that three day crap, stronger harassment language especially when it comes to production. I could go on and on but I guess you get the point.

Thebrownstreak

As a driver I feel that I would make a concession in a smaller raise so that pt warehouse workers could make more. When I worked the preload I was making no money. I had to pay child support and actually had paychecks that were void bc of no money left after support and union dues. At 32/hr I would be willing for a much smaller raise with cola raises added to that so that pt employees could make something like 12-15/hr. I can't remember but with this current contract is it true that new hires need to wait a year and a half till they get their benefits. That was the only thing that kept me with ups when I was making no $$$

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Well that sounds like a huge downer for anybody lucky enough to already be a full time driver. Consider us part timers who need a second job to survive. I really hope this new contract doesn't hurt our health insurance. We are lucky to get 10 minutes over our 3 and 1/2 hour guarantee. We are bringing home $200 a week on average after 4 years. We have to milk the clock to get 3 hours 45 minutes and make break which gives us 4 hours for the day, and we usually catch for even that. And doing that only helps us get an extra gallon of gas to get to work and school.

I understand that the drivers work long hours and are there on average 10-12 hours a day and basically have no life during the week. At least you guys can afford a house though. I need a second job so I can get my prescriptions and get my rent paid while paying for tuition and car payments. If I lose my my insurance I am completely :censored2:ed. I have no life either during the week and have far less money than any driver working, at least you guys get over time. I work 60 hours a week and don't see one penny of overtime.

VERY WELL SAID!!!! 14 years and STILL working two jobs, including weekends!!

What was missing from these two posts was this; if even half of the part timers at UPS exercised their right to vote on union issues, they could RULE the Teamsters.
It's sad but true, while they get only a fraction of the compensation of a full time employee, they receive one equal vote.

hembone

What was missing from these two posts was this; if even half of the part timers at UPS exercised their right to vote on union issues, they could RULE the Teamsters.
It's sad but true, while they get only a fraction of the compensation of a full time employee, they receive one equal vote.
Very good point. People running for office listen to the ones that vote.

krash

Go big orange
PTers use to receive top pay before "84". But sadly, FTers were promised higher wages by cutting the wage of PTers who were hired after that contract. It is sad indeed when we sell out those who are yet to be hired. We are suppose to be brothers and sisters and should leave this union in better shape than we found it. Now one should receive the same hourly rate for the same job regardless how many hours there guaranteed. UPS is standing together against us and its time we do the same against them. We deserve a better contract and don't let anyone convince you other wise.

Shadow999

Part-timers by seniority can be used to cover full-time drivers. I think is 16 dollars an hour the first year they are used and then 18 dollars an hour the next year. This is the max. They are still considered part-timers and receive no full-time benefits. In exchange for this optional weeks can be taken one day at a time. This wipes out a large number of vacation weeks that need to be covered. Less cover drivers are able to get any hours. Splitting up vacation days is great, but the price was way to high. I was a rookie when the first part-time wage concessions were granted. No one listened to me then either.

Shadow999

In response to some earlier posts.....part-timers do not vote.....on my shift they do not even belong to the union....full-timers not retiring is the not the main reason for part-timers not moving to full-time. We have lost more than five drivers without replacement. Allowing part-timers to fill in for vacation days cuts down the hiring of full-time drivers. Cutting routes every Monday creates layoffs. Bonus for drivers does not create jobs. Full-time inside jobs are being bid as combination jobs, or eliminated. Article 22.40 are a thing of the past.
These reasons and more are why you guys are not going full-time.

brown_trousers

why should the teamsters even be proposing a contract that doesn't favor ALL its members?