Votes: 38 51.4%
  • no

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • too soon to call

Votes: 21 28.4%

• Total voters

oldngray

nowhere special
A few doctors told my wife and I, that using anti bacterial cleaners and soaps a child’s whole life may hinders that child’s immune system. So when that child starts school, they cannot fight off all the germs that go around.
They need to be exposed when they are young to build their immune systems. My wife was one of the people who freaked out over ever little thing and couldn't grasp that concept.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I have been enjoying the mostly 8 - 9 hour days so far (though I'd rather make more money). I think the plan to hire so many seasonals, however, was a large overreach which has been a major contributor to the shortfalls. I understand that they were likely trying to send a message that we will be ready for anything, especially after the contract vote, so shippers knew they could depend on us.

I don't think they really anticipated the difficulties involved in hiring so many workers, at such poor pay, with almost no training or communication about hours. I have had 7 helpers so far, and many of them have told me that they were never told what to expect for hours, and assumed they would be working 8 hours a day. Turnover is costly, having a new helper every other day or so makes them far more of a hindrance than a help. I would have gotten the work done in around the same time by myself, but they want to tack on an extra 50 or 60 bucks in employment costs for the same level of production. That's why UPS isn't meeting projections.

I think they have it in their heads that we permanent employees are way too expensive, and that peak season is their chance to lower average employment costs. Apparently they think if some is good, more is better. I hope they will have learned their lesson with this peak. An MBA is no substitute for real world experience.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I have been enjoying the mostly 8 - 9 hour days so far (though I'd rather make more money). I think the plan to hire so many seasonals, however, was a large overreach which has been a major contributor to the shortfalls. I understand that they were likely trying to send a message that we will be ready for anything, especially after the contract vote, so shippers knew they could depend on us.

I don't think they really anticipated the difficulties involved in hiring so many workers, at such poor pay, with almost no training or communication about hours. I have had 7 helpers so far, and many of them have told me that they were never told what to expect for hours, and assumed they would be working 8 hours a day. Turnover is costly, having a new helper every other day or so makes them far more of a hindrance than a help. I would have gotten the work done in around the same time by myself, but they want to tack on an extra 50 or 60 bucks in employment costs for the same level of production. That's why UPS isn't meeting projections.

I think they have it in their heads that we permanent employees are way too expensive, and that peak season is their chance to lower average employment costs. Apparently they think if some is good, more is better. I hope they will have learned their lesson with this peak. An MBA is no substitute for real world experience.
Great post.

Dr.Brownz

people in the MMO community have a term for the mostly unstoppable downward spiral an organization can have when it loses all confidence in itself: failcascading

generally the symptoms are:
  1. quality managers jumping ship or taking early retirement
  2. difficulty in retaining veteran employees
  3. difficulty in attracting or retaining talent
  4. generally poor/short-sighted decision making

earlier this year i saw a lot of moves the company was making and thought it was on the right track; now i see how quickly the Board will abandon an entire strategy for a measly $40 million, it makes me wonder if this company is totally friend’ed

If UPS fails it was because of chimps like you who do fake work.

onehandsolo

They should stop assigning helpers to rural routes and to drivers who have no idea how to use them properly. They should also be willing to let helpers go who our not productive and offer bonuses to the good ones.

SafetyFirst

I had a helper this week on a city route who weighed 340lbs. I'm no runner, but would bet my paycheck I could have finished earlier without him in the way all day.

Box Ox

Back off :censored2:!:rolleyes:

I'm transferring to porters January 12th. Will only be making$35/hour.

2zrnxww.jpg