Its ratified...We are screwed!!

T

tieguy

"mrbrown....I couldn't agree more, I'm beginning to think that the whole attitude thing is all part of the power trip that Most of the sups I've seen are on. And it's not so much the sups, but the center manager's that make the attitude sort of trickle down through the ranks and we little people are the ones that have to deal with it."

I understand what your saying but lets face it the job will never get any easier. With that in mind there are limits to how much sensitivity you can expect to receive. Kind of like working out. If you get yourself motivated to workout you could actually enjoy it. If you don't 30 minutes can seem like a lifetime.

U

upsmule

<font color="ff0000">well tie...the job HAS actually gotten easier, I remember well the days of no power steering, and all the shifting while driving, LOVE the automatic transmission now! And the diad...no more recording everything by hand, no more delivery records being destroyed on a rainy day. LOTS of things are a lot better now, and as far as sensitivity...all I'm expecting is a little COMMON sence! We should all be able to work together! We all have to put our time in everyday, and do AT LEAST what's expected of us! And as far as the working out thing? I get up every morning at 5:00am workout for an hour or so and then go STAIGHTEN OUT MY LOAD before start time. This I've ENJOYED doing for 15 years now. I'm really thinking that you totally missed the point of the last several post's on this thread. And I'm not surprised....you must be a center manager!
icon304.gif
</font>

T

tieguy

Why yes I suppose I have. I didn't realize I was talking to superman with a desk job.

D

deliver_man

I didn't realize I was talking to superman with a desk job.
And what would that make you? Robin, the Boy Wonder?

P

proups

480....these posts are correct. You have to pay your dues to be a lifer at UPS. Those dues are loading trucks! Be patient, you will get there.

T

trouble1903

I really do believe the part timers should break off and have their own union. I've been saying this for years. P/T don't do a full timers job and therefor can never really understand it. The same goes for a full timer understanding a P/T'ers job. Yes, some of us may have worked our way up the ladder, but a lot more then not haven't done the job for years to understand the different toll it takes on ones mind and body.

As a p/t timer you never know who the union guys are unless you are in trouble.

Again, IMO, I really think it's time for the p/t'er to split off.

D

deliver_man

I really do believe the part timers should break off and have their own union.

Thats a nice thought, but I can't see it ever happening. It's hard to organize people when 90% don't plan on staying in the job. Thats why saintteamo and and local480 are wasting their breath. Unlike them, most people don't have any illusions about making fulltime wages from a part time job. Most people see the job for what it is, supplemental income, a stepping stone to something else, or just temporary work while attending college. If part-timers really cared, they could have easily voted the contract down. And local480's threats about bad loads just show how little he understands the job, or the mindset of the people who he think is striking back at.

U

upsmule

"superman with a desk job"

this guy/gal,is the perfect example of the point of the last several post's. Thank you "Tieguy" for the you against me NIGHTMARE that makes any job more difficult than it needs to be. So unessisary, don't ya think? I guess thats just the way things will always be, in life in general, some people are just incapable of being any other way. For many different reasons, for whatever hand life has dealt them.....

T

trouble1903

Most of the p/t'er in my building have been there
for years. They have no illusions about making "full time wages", but they would like to make a wage that is competitive. They know what the job is, but are insulted by a progressive $6 raise over 6 years is a slap in the face.

Hell it only takes two year (or should I say did) to hit top rate as a full timer.

F

french_fry

this contract is not for fulltimers,no pension, talking about a slap in face

U

upslocal480

Thats a nice thought, but I can't see it ever happening. It's hard to organize people when 90% don't plan on staying in the job. Thats why saintteamo and and local480 are wasting their breath. Unlike them, most people don't have any illusions about making fulltime wages from a part time job. Most people see the job for what it is, supplemental income, a stepping stone to something else, or just temporary work while attending college. If part-timers really cared, they could have easily voted the contract down. And local480's threats about bad loads just show how little he understands the job, or the mindset of the people who he think is striking back at.

Are you slow? How many times do I have to say that I didn't plan on "making bad loads" but that I know of many people that will? I clearly stated that in my last post. Besides..it would be a waste of time to do that in my center because we don't really get enough flow to our 2 trialers to where it would even be noticble. We usually dont even need load retainers! LOL And I think you are confusing your opinions with facts when you say that most part-timers have illusions about getting better wages and that most see the job for what it is. NO...that is what you saw the job as an I'm sure some other people do to but its obvious that their is a majority that see's it differently. Just look at all the posts such as mine across ALL the UPS message boards. Look at all the magazine and newspaper articles there have been on the issue. Walk around and listen to all the complaints about the pay. We shouldnt be making drivers pay but we also shouldnt be being paid less than the other companys. That is whats happening. The problem really is that the full-times dont give a crap about part-timers and it showed in the voting. The "thats how it was when I was part-time so it will always be like that" attitude will always be there. The problem with allot of part-timers is that allot care but aren't in the union because they realize that we really are gonna be at the bottom no matter what we all try and do so they dont want to waste their money on unin dues. Thats allot of no votes that never were cast. And apparently another problem, I know it was for me, was that the union some how failed to send a crap load of ballots out to its members. Thats ludacris!! Look...part-timers have a geniune right to complain now because we've been listening to the union talk about and promise closing the wage gap for a long time now and a $1.00 over 6 years is a joke.

U

upsmule

In a lot of way's I think I have to agree with 480.....our loaders made what, 13 or 14 bucks an hour back in the late 70's here in the metropolitan d.c. area, they actually used to get bonus for loading the trucks out before start time! That kept the people that did the job with much more incentive to do quality work, and take a little pride in the job they did.....today, we get what we pay for. Thats why the loads for the most part are HORRIBLE! WE GET WHAT WE PAY FOR!

W

whatsthetune

"Unlike them, most people don't have any illusions about making fulltime wages from a part time job. Most people see the job for what it is, supplemental income, a stepping stone to something else, or just temporary work while attending college. If part-timers really cared, they could have easily voted the contract down. And local480's threats about bad loads just show how little he understands the job, or the mindset of the people who he think is striking back at."

The Teamster negotiators only respond to the pressure applied by the members. FT's vote and show up at the hall (at least more than pt's). PT's moan and complain, and sometimes quit or move on. The pt's have been sold out by their Teamster brothers since 82. The size of the economic pie is always within a very narrow range, and the only way FT's can get ahead is to take it from the PT's.

Remember, the UNION decides how they want the money at the table divided, NOT the company. You are complaining to the wrong people.

T

tieguy

""superman with a desk job" this guy/gal,is the perfect example of the point of the last several post's. Thank you "Tieguy" for the you against me NIGHTMARE that makes any job more difficult than it needs to be."

Yea I know , I tried to be sensitive, i should have kicked your arse. The point I made in my first response was that the job will never be easy. You then changed your tune and started telling me how the job had gotten so much easier. Thus the comment about superman with a desk job. Your little exchange explains why your sups don't have any patience for you. Your not happy no what anyone says to you.

U

upsmule

zorro.gif
Cool tie, I'll give you that one....my apologies, I don't think I had enough coffee in me before I wrote that one....thanks

C

cueball

I hope all fulltimers who voted yes for this lousy contract realize how bad we are screwed.Very few of the non monetary issues were addressed.The ones that were are only cosmetic.As a 13 year shop steward,the 2 biggest fulltime problems are harassment and forced overtime.What did Hoffa do to fix these problems? We got some money but if going to work sucks,who cares?

U

upsmule

I'm really not sure who this contract was for or against! I'm thinking it was a good deal for both Hoffa, and ups. The union needs us to keep working so they can soak us for those dues....and it was good for ups because.......they got off easy on this one. The union and ups both feed off of each other, with out one the other would crumble, especialy the union....ups drivers have been carring the teamsters on there backs for years now.

O

over9five

"...and our full-time "brothers" thought fit to vote that way."

You should talk to your part time brothers....They outnumber us 3 to 1. Its you guys who decided the vote.

Also, Thanks for the "god awful" loads. The more time I have to sort, the more money I make.